Braking News V8 Wagon

Jase

I have limited space for my braking system due to extractors etc going to to be very close,

to the booster,

was wondering about going remote booster and master cylinder,

ie by mounting a b1600 clutch slave where the oe system was,

then a b1600 servo pushing the oe master cyclinder in a remote location

brakesxq5.jpg

I'm new to this style setup but can't see any hangups

can you?

hey. I had a similar problem with my capri, and created this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6976&p=122064&hilit=remote+brake+booster#p122064

in the end i concluded bias pedal box or no booster would be sweet as in a race car as modulation isnt so important, but for a street car, and not wanting to have to get used to the pedal feel every time i got into it, I wanted a booster. so I mounted one under the dash, using a liteace pedalbox and booster. the main problem with your idea is using a single circuit to provide pressure to a dual circuit, any modifications to a braking system have to involve conversion to a dual circuit system. I have seen in some cars, (mates early BMW 2002) the master and booster is mounted on the other side of the engine bay operated by a linkage, not too sure if it'd be legal to retrofit into another car, im sure ur certifier or one of the os guru's will see ya straight.

A remote booster like a VH40 does not not need a linkage.

With something like a VH40 a firewall mounted M/C activates a second M/C that is vacuum assisted. That second M/C and "booster" can go anywhere you like on/in the car. These are sometimes called inline boosters as you can just insert one anywhere in the fluid circuit. You could fit it under the front guard, in the boot, on the roof etc.

Fluid is incompressible - therefore no pedal difference over a firewall mounted booster if the bore sizes all match.

Also - that way the tandem operation can be retained, but if you want the rears boosted too you would probably want a second VH40

haVe seen a track spec ae86 with a remote booster set up

the dude was a engineer and he made up a bracket that extended all the way to the front just infront of the radiator, with a shaft going to from the fire wall to the booster

very very tidy set up and worked oh so well

kinda like a mk1 escourt set up in away i spose but millons tidyer

as uj said the oe system is boosted ie vacuum assisted and actuated by a steel rod,

all i want to do is move that oe system up grade it somewhat and actuate it by a fluid system ie a mc and servo,

so it will retain its original characteristics being that the servo will still be vacuum assisted

I will speak to a certifier mind you before i cut anything,

and will pull under the dash apart tommorow when i go to drop the x member out

My Strada was meant to be LHD when first made. So my booster is on the left side of the engine bay. The Italians just made this rod/pole to connect it to the peddles on the right. That's partly why I think the peddle doesn't feel as positive as it could be.