Car not starting

Supercluck

I dont know a lot about this, but keen to learn. My skoda isnt starting and i dont know why. I checked the sparkplugs and cleaned them, it turns over but wont fire at all. What would be the next thing for me to check.

And on the off chance does anyone know the stud pattern for rear engine Skodas.

Thanks

Has it recently stopped running or is this a motor you have never had going?

An engine needs three things to run. Spark, fuel and compression. Have you actually checked to see if the spark plugs are sparking when the motor turns over?

If you have spark then check to see if you have fuel getting to the cylinders.

Good luck. Those are a relaible wee beastie of a motor and prbably fairly simple to fix

Okay thanks ill tey again today. Also a little while back i sprayed engine start down the air filter then tryed to start it. it fired then stopped and then i went to have a look and there was smoke pouring out of the air filter. i took it off and it was on fire. but went out quickly. why would the air filter catch on fire?

Has it recently stopped running or is this a motor you have never had going?

If it was running previously what did you do/change before it stopped running?

If the carb is spitting back it would suggest that the firing order is wrong.

Those Skoda motors are amazingly reliable normally. The are a bit like the 3Y Toyota. They just keep going even with holes in the pistons.

Okay thanks ill tey again today. Also a little while back i sprayed engine start down the air filter then tryed to start it. it fired then stopped and then i went to have a look and there was smoke pouring out of the air filter. i took it off and it was on fire. but went out quickly. why would the air filter catch on fire?
Engine start is flamable. If the air filter was still in place you would have covered it in engine start. next time remove the filter

It was running fine, but was always a little hard to start. It had never given me trouble. The brakes failed so i hadnt driven it for a week or two then it wouldnt start. And i need it to go so the mechanic can help me with the brakes. How could they firing order of been changed

If you have not changed anything since it ran last then the firing order will not have changed.

Get someone to help you. Remove the airfilter and spray engine start into the carb whilst turning it over with the key. If it fires with engine start but will not fire without engine start you have a fuel problem.

If the problem is much the same with or without engine start clean the points with some fine sandpaper on a thin bit of steel or a butter knife. That will hopefully get it running so you can get it to the mechanics.

Hang on, it was running fine, you parked it for a week and then it wouldn't start.

You probably just flooded it.

Whip the plugs out, dry them off, give them a light scuff with an emery board or a brasswire brush. Put them back in.

Make sure your battery has plenty of charge. Try starting it again, with no choke at first, just to see how it goes.

Na i dont think i flooded it because i tried about 4 or 5 times to start it at different times and we tried to push start but it wouldnt even fire.

He fiddled round with the distributor for a while, and got me to turn the engine over for a while. Looking at the distributor. Kind of knows us okay so it was free. Mum seems to know him quite well an he is happy to help me and teach me a bit. BUt i might try to start it again. How do you dry the plugs.

Take them out, give them a blow/shake and a light scuff off if there's carbon deposits on them. Once the fuel that's on them is exposed to air instead of the cylinder it should evaporate fairly quickly anyway.

It's these times when it sucks to be on the internet instead of just able to shoot around and take a look. Almost guarantee the plugs are just fouled/it's been flooded.

He said it had no spark though, still will take the plugs out and check. Do you check there is a spark by taking the plugs out, putting the leads on and then grounding the thread and cranking the engine and you should see a spark. I think i saw someone do that once? Is that right or just crazy rambling. :lol: