'Zaust rap

mixmasterlex

Yo, Yo, Check this flow.

Names mixmaster lex and im here to say, is wrappiing them headers worth it bay?

Uhh.....

Saw some cheap deals on trademe, was going to get some wrap to cover my factory mani, I have heard they can crack if they cool down too fast, makes sense. They did have a heat sheild on them but the old owner has it...

And finally, how do you fix the wrap to the zaust/mani? Bit of the old hot glue yeah?!?

Yo, Yo, Check this flow.

Names mixmaster lex and im here to say, is wrappiing them headers worth it bay?

Uhh.....

Saw some cheap deals on trademe, was going to get some wrap to cover my factory mani, I have heard they can crack if they cool down too fast, makes sense. They did have a heat sheild on them but the old owner has it...

And finally, how do you fix the wrap to the zaust/mani? Bit of the old hot glue yeah?!?

yes. use hot glue.

where do you guys get your heat wrap from. i've used a few different types, and been pretty disappointed in how long it lasts for the price, one lot kinda rotted and fell apart. another went hard and shattered like glass. haven't noticed any corrosion tho, heat painted extractors before i wrapped them, seem all good

hpc gets my vote too

HPC is shit from what I've seen. Discolours immediately and looks poooooos

Seen it discolour on hot shit but they reckon for intense applications you should use HPC xtreme or something, it only comes in black and its 400 times as hardcore.

HPC silver just aint chrome or stainless tho, looks just a weeeeee bit off

Cos bling is cool

If you are doing exhaust wrap you really need to get the good stuff. I forget what it's called but you can get it from Pioneer auto parts here, not sure who would stock it around the country. An easy way to tell which stuff is best is that the wrap will be a brown / tan colour as opposed to white and it has a line stitched down either side about 15mm from the edge - to help you line up the layers evenly.

Also if you want to to wrap up nice and tight then put the lot in a bucket of water before starting. When it's wet it expands, so when you apply the wrap it will dry off and tighten up heaps. Like that Jacky Chan trick. Then secure it at the ends with either wire, stainless clips or glue. Works sweet.

Edit: and it does the job of keeping the heat in the pipes better then HPC .

^ What he said.

Perfect solution = HPC (or equivalent for Competetion Coasting Services in Taupo) AND decent wrap from the likes of Foreman(?) Insulation. That is what I will be doing on my pre-crossflow motor as the headers are right underneath the carburettors.

The wrap does get brittle and break down into dust if it gets oil etc. on it and after many heat cycles.

Edit: it is about $90 a roll IIRC and one roll will just manage a 4 cylinder

The wrap does get brittle and break down into dust if it gets oil etc. on it and after many heat cycles.

So how is that going to work with a Kent motor?? :)

On newer Falcons they have a semi formable aluminium sheet insulation that they use in the engine bay. Some people have used it successfully to form shrouds around turbo's and exausts with good results. MIGHT be worth a look into depending on the exact application... ACL make it I think.