RB30VB 1981 Holden Commodore SLE (open to offers for a new home)

RB30VB

*see latest comment for info regarding EOI/sale

hey guys been a member for a while but just browsed for ages

im from the hutt i own a commodore 2 previous owners old lady had it most of her life, young couple for a few years before i got it

wofd and reg for 1K

motor had a very easy life before me and i gave it hell so it broke down on me heaps :(

so i bought an RB30e with manual box to put it future plans will involve rb25 twin cam head and big turbo :D

anyways heres some pics from when i got it and bits of the conversion,

DSC02542.jpg

DSC02571.jpg

DSC02562.jpg

heres the old motor pulled out ugly 3.3 blue auto carby crap

4-1.jpg

motor in the hole

5.jpg

6-1.jpg

7.jpg

clutch pedal :D finnalllyyy a manual!!!

8.jpg

taking its time but getting there

9.jpg

and this is what im aiming for just a quick photoshop

keeping standard wheels to keep oldschool original look wheels have been semi polished to bling em out a bit

tintitsackitmackit.jpg

photos are pretty outdated car is a little further along now

so what do yous think?

i waited for ages to post this to make sure my car would be considered oldschool enough haha

will it be good enough to have oldschool.co.nz stickers on it when its finished? keen to support and represent

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

teeny tiny update. after dealing with rust around screens sanding and repainting the roof screens are all back in etc i finally put the commy on a trailer today and took it to my mechanic. im absolutely useless at that stuff and have had enough of looking at it. so just getting it all finished by them so i can drive the damn thing again.

they said they wanna get straight into it full time so its out of there asap so lets start counting :P

• 1 year later...

wow. ok so its been a long ass time. 4 years give or take a month since i took it off the road....

mechanics took their time but theyre only charging me for half the labour and im VERY happy with the work they've done.

Basically i got it back on monday all running :D motor feels good, little bit of tapping but very minimal and to be expected of this kinda motor at this age.

currently still a lot of work to do, half of the electrics havent been wired up yet, windows, central locking etc. but all the essentials for driving it safely are there, brakes steering, headlights, indicators etc.

so now i have a bunch of tidying up to do, get the interior back together and all the little bits.

but the main thing is finishing that wiring! After seeing the bill i got from the sparky just to wire up the motor i was quite shocked, but i guess thats just what it costs.

Are there any hutt valley members who are decent autosparkys? basically want someone i can trust to finish all the little bits, would like a cashy job, ill pay them accordingly but would much rather pay direct to you than your boss and you only get a tiny bit of it etc. haha

so any boes that are capable of taking on this task? currently have one guy who said hed do it but i dont know him hes a friend of a friend of the mrs so have no idea of his experience etc..

any help appreciated, keep an eye out although its not entirely finished iv been driving it about as its sooo hard to resist :D

pics will come soon, stuck at work with no camera currently

• 2 months later...

249253_10150182498911557_601431556_7434691_3652941_n.jpg

just to make me horny.. car isnt actually that low... photoshop winning.

that is pretty much current state all though at time of picture, engine wasnt running. has since be wired, plumbed, and is all running nice. car was cleaned up, (new windscreen sticker removed finally :oops: ) polished most of it etc... when i got it back from mechanics i took rear springs out for a week to roll durty (cry cry old men) but have since put them back in.

am looking forward to $2000 V8 racecar spec adjustable suspension for maximum low... Form over Function

P.S. Has been decided that I get this car legit for daily duties. Sell S14 (anyone want? am tidying it up first, did wof check today and failed on silly things such as, bald rear tires... on my skid rims..., powersteer pump (which i just took belt off cos nonpowersteer forthewin) #plate bulb etc...

then once sold i will search for either Mk1 Golf Rabbit or VW Varient Fastback for panscraper euro stz.. i know some of you will fondly remember NastyFasty and the more dedicated eurofans will remember MKippen's photoshoot of the lovely pale blue MK1 rabbit boned out on bags...

my car will be a static drop, form over function stz.. if it has to sit on the road cos driveways to high then so be it.. anyways..

MAXHOLDEN!

• 9 years later...

I know this isnt really the right place to put this, but just wondering if anyone in here would be interested in taking on this project...
in the last decade since I started this I went through a few ups n downs..  was out of work for ages, moved house a couple of times and basically just lost all motivation... has been sitting down my driveway for last 6 years and hasnt been run for 2 or 3... its definitely in a much shabbier state having sat outside, rust is starting to set in..

I dont really want to let it go, but it feels like a crime letting it rust away and with these things getting rarer and more sought after then perhaps the right thing to do is let it go to someone who would actually do it some justice...

this is merely a query to see if theres any interest which is why Im not clogging up the for sale section posting it in there..
I got the car to a running stage. even drove it around a couple of times (naughty naughty) still needed some minor things like fuel gauge hooked up, fl window reg/motor (currently held up by some nifty wood props ) minor interior things.
obviously still needed a cert blah blah. probably needs a bunch of bushes and shit like that..

Also due to my neglect the paint has suffered and rust has set it rather harshly on one of the sills by the rear wheel well etc.

So all in all, it needs a bit of work, but definitely doable to someone with those skill sets.. but shit..  I dont know how to weld.. Im not a sparky.. im barely a mechanic... so my options are to pour money I dont have into it...  or let it rust like a criminal... or let it move on to someone who can give it the love it deserves..

If anyone thinks they might be interested then reply in thread discussion (link in my signature) or pm me... can get some more recent pics..

Im still not sure this is actually what I want to do but im open to discussing it.

Keep seeing standard VK wagons being sold for stupid prices like $15k plus these days, so a genuine SLE VB ought to be a far better piece of automotive history and will be a great piece in someone collection when finished...
:sad:

• Sad 2

• 2 years later...

Just bumping this in case of new members or interest..
Rego still live, rust is still progressing...  will need someone with time and skills to remove rust from various parts of the body, tidy up paint and finish off the original work..
quite bad rust in one sil last time I looked (last time I checked theres companies making whole sil sections new)  bonnet is starting to crumble away on front edge.  small hole on the roof/rain gutter   probably a bunch of other areas,  so not a quick patch job..

hasnt run in years but was a very low milage and tidy rb30e when I installed it and drove wonderfully back then.
Keep hoping some rich old dude will offer me stupid money for it and then give it the open cheque book restoration it deserves but dreams aren't reality.

So if anyone wants to get their hands on an increasingly rare NZ assembled '81 SLE VB (retrofitted to vl engine and box), youll have to put in some work to get her back to her glory but would make a nice piece of history in their collection for someone whos into these things.

Hard to part with but guilt of letting it rot is painful. :'(

PM for inquiries and can arrange recent pics/info blah blah