Truenotch's BEAMS AE86 racecar discussion

Truenotch

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom end of a F20C is a thing of beauty, all the main caps in a cradle and the rotating assembly is lighter & stronger. The 3S recieved a massive breathing upgrade with the BEAMS head but is essentaill the same crank and block from S series engine of yester year. I guess the F20C is just more built for purpose as a sports car engine rather than a old engine platform revived and slapped in a midsize sedan. Piston speeds in a F20C are some of, if not the highest of any production car

That being said the old 3S can pound away pushing 9K with some rods and some lighter pistons. The aussie chap who is the beams master makes allot of power only pushing around that 9K mark, so there is not much need for silly revs unless you have allot of moneys to burn

Is the F20 square bore/stroke like the 3s? What the trick there to get them up to 9k?

Should revive the NA tech/itb thread with this stz tbh

Going off topic but who cares, love this shit. F20C is 87 x 84 so shorter stroke, meaning piston speed at 9krpm is about the same as 86 x 86 at 8800rpm. Granted not a huge difference, but all counts I guess.

As spence mentions, F20C has the highest piston speed of any production engine.

Honda B16B (1600cc) from a type r civic uses a block from the B18C (1800cc) but the original crank to run longer rods, helping the rod stroke ratio. Am looking into this atm to see if it would help in building a high reving 2 litre Opel motor using the 2.2 block and rods (in 20 years time). Maybe even an 1800cc crank to reduce stroke and then open the block up to 88mm bore to get capacity back.

It's all a head fuck :lol:

• 2 months later...

Looking good Markku, would be keen for a geeze next week if that works with you

Goodluck for the weekend!

Also because I only just saw this:

Is the F20 square bore/stroke like the 3s? What the trick there to get them up to 9k?

Should revive the NA tech/itb thread with this stz tbh

Going off topic but who cares, love this shit. F20C is 87 x 84 so shorter stroke, meaning piston speed at 9krpm is about the same as 86 x 86 at 8800rpm. Granted not a huge difference, but all counts I guess.

As spence mentions, F20C has the highest piston speed of any production engine.

Honda B16B (1600cc) from a type r civic uses a block from the B18C (1800cc) but the original crank to run longer rods, helping the rod stroke ratio. Am looking into this atm to see if it would help in building a high reving 2 litre Opel motor using the 2.2 block and rods (in 20 years time). Maybe even an 1800cc crank to reduce stroke and then open the block up to 88mm bore to get capacity back.

It's all a head fuck :lol:

Hmm, could do something with 5s rods and 4s crank, and bore a 3s head out...(assuming 4s is destroked 3s not smaller bore - that would scupper those plans)

Can see shit getting super expensive

Dunno what you are getting at here? if your engine you choose has another in the family with a bigger bore (unlikely with jap 4 pots) you can get a lesser capacity shorther stroke model and make a over square engine is what brad is saying? Its not going to work with the S series as all the capacity changes are in the deck height and stroke

Steve - flick me a text when you're here and we'll sort it out.

You guys crack me up with your lego pipe dreams :P . There's a guy in Balclutha building an A12 with 1300cc overbore and a mazda BP twin cam head to compete in a 1300cc rally class... It's cool shit, but takes a lot of mucking around.

That said... I do have a set of Gen3 3SGE pistons in the garage with pointy tops on them - they even fit into the Beams combustion chamber without hitting anything, so I've been having dirty thoughts about building a grenade at some point.

That was in testing on Saturday, so he didn't ruin anything for me. I was fairly pissed off about it though! Some of those super6 drivers need a machine to punch them in the nuts every time they do something stupid.

Agreed