Truenotch's BEAMS AE86 racecar discussion

Truenotch

I've only done one event with it so far, but I'm really happy with the quality. I prefer the ball bearing style over the standard spline type quick release kits that are out there. Mine's got no play at all and is really easy to slot on. You can place the wheel on in any orientation and rotate it until it locks into place. 

It wasn't the cheapest thing in the world, but you get what you pay for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About your painfull sanding experience 

ive found that its always much easier to do it while jamming some music in your headphones.

or find someone like your mate or partner to give you a hand that way you can sharn away and get shit done.

but the end result is most of the time very rewarding and worth all that time you spent doing it.

unless you just want a bill and unrewarding experience because you just paid someone to do it

but Anyway crank onto it and get it done to have some fun with it on the track   :thumbright: 

• Like 2

Haha, cheers man. I’ve never been much good at bogging, so half the fun was learning how to mix and lay it again... The stuff I’m using doesn’t change colour when you add hardener, so I doubled down on hardener the first time and ended up with a streaky mess to deal with. 

Recent applications have been much nicer! Plus the sanding is basically cardio :D . 

Its getting there now - bit of filler primer and seam sealer done.

F302A0F1-9FC9-478A-B887-B40E32C1D2AD.thumb.jpeg.818d1aea396e796fd85a1b39def3159c.jpeg

Now it’s time to start applying filler to the other side and get the rest of the bay cleaned, sanded and primed for paint. 

• Like 8

• 1 year later...

Yeah, it’s been a while! Should be a good load of updates coming soon... 

That pic at full compression was with a 12mm plastic spacer in place of the bump stop to simulate full bump stop compression. The bump stops are polyurethane foam and are designed to rise in rate as they compress (36mm extended length). 

Here’s my high tech method of finding full squish: 

51F2F289-3DF1-4AE7-8089-ADD2F5B9D465.jpeg.c17c058274dc0869abdf3f7b7302fc1a.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great lap. The car looks like its well dialed in!

Did the Honda have some kind of failure / fuckup or was he legitimately thinking he could get inside both of you?

(I'm in no place to judge, I recently tried a similar move, with similar results)

1.jpg.a4e37e9859c9625321db2b20c7865163.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, fuel said:

what a see you next tuesday who crashed into you - was he apologetic? seems he ran out of talent and you paid for that.

Unfortunately this is the risk of racing. The guy didn't have the talent to match his machinery, but that's how it goes sometimes! 

8 hours ago, anglia4 said:

Great lap. The car looks like its well dialed in!

Thanks! There's a few improvements to make, mostly in the brakes, so it might get quicker by the end of the season. The other driver assumed they could out brake both of us into turn 1. He could have avoided the incident by moving left, but instead opted to take to the grass... grass isn't very grippy! 

11 minutes ago, 87creepin said:

You handled that calmly even though you said you were pissed. 

;) I cut the video just as the adrenalin wore off and the fucks came out. I could've possibly avoided it by leaving him space to straight line the corner, but it was his responsibility attempt to pass safely. In which case he might have hit the (borrowed) Mustang and caused a 3 car incident. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Truenotch said:

;) I cut the video just as the adrenalin wore off and the fucks came out. I could've possibly avoided it by leaving him space to straight line the corner, but it was his responsibility attempt to pass safely. In which case he might have hit the (borrowed) Mustang and caused a 3 car incident. 

Crikey, who loans out race cars?

So does the other party just get to continue in the race series after pulling a stunt like that? To not even apologise is a clear indicator they are fucked in the head, but it surely can't be good to have people like that in the series?

• Like 1

@Bling - yeah, pretty much. I laid an enquiry (probably didn't word it sternly enough), but it was deemed a racing incident by the officials, so there was no punishment made. 

Unfortunately it goes with the territory in racing. Some people aren't aware that their skill level doesn't match their ego, so things like this happen. Thankfully it's the first incident like this that's caused panel damage to my car in 12 years of ownership... It's a numbers game and can happen eventually. 

It's quite similar to these two incidents I've had in the past. The first was deemed my fault somehow, the second cost the driver $200 and he had his licence endorsed. 

This one cost me an outer wheel band: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1