• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, xsspeed said:

7 please

screenshot_ks_toyota_ae86_tuned_1-jpg.13

I could do the reverse of this quite easily... Hmm. 

KY - a proper colour scheme might happen but I really struggle with the idea of changing it too much. Even painting the flares and/or bumper red is a challenging concept (AE86 bumpers should be black, you know?). 

2 hours ago, Truenotch said:

I could do the reverse of this quite easily... Hmm. 

KY - a proper colour scheme might happen but I really struggle with the idea of changing it too much. Even painting the flares and/or bumper red is a challenging concept (AE86 bumpers should be black, you know?). 

Doozi sponsorship in return for a new wrap scheme? Might be an option.

/I have no idea

// I like 5 and 6

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

All red version is legit..

Were you chasing rising coolant temps as a reason for your radiator ducting? Or other reason for cleaning up air flow.

The reason i ask is people have suggested i do some ducting for my pos racecivic but it doesn't get warm so i was thinking it would be extra weight where i don't need it.

Also i'm sure a patient talented welder could tig up that 1mm air box without too much distortion if they were keen..

• Like 1

I mainly did the ducting to clean up the airflow in the front of the car. It's a job I always planned on doing but never got around to. The bonnet has been flapping around at high speed and I really hate that. I'd also been planning on adding an air filter, going to a bigger diameter inlet pipe and forcing more cold air into the box, so it kinda does all of those jobs. 

That said, on very hot days the coolant temp will rise to ~100° and I suspect it starts to lose horsepower when it's in that temp range, so I'm kinda working on both issues. 

As far as weight goes, the whole shebang weighs bugger all, so that shouldn't worry you too much, although it hardly seems worth it for the Civic if you're not having cooling issues. 

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work with the refinishing - I definitely subscribe to the 'good and strong and not shit but not mint' school of modifying too, and you're ticking the boxes, haha. Glad the engine mount rubber suggestion seems to be a go. As far as the mounts themselves, if you need to lose 10mm total height is that something you could do at the same time as making up a captive nut section? Chop the tops off and weld a plate with captive nut in lower down?

Otherwise, would have thought a hole and a welded in upside down flange nut would be strong enough - your crossmember mounts don't look far off horizontal so there shouldn't be too much lever or shear force on them, and if it's nipped up nice and tight most of the force should be on the mounting faces anyway. I've done the same with 2 of the 4 mounting nuts for my gearbox crossmember and that's got a weight hanging from it. It's also unproven and I'm not a materials engineer, so pinch of salt etc. YOLO.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

WTF thats weird about the bucket! 

I'd almost think that perhaps the bucket got stuck and valve pushed into it from underneath? 
Will be interesting to see what it looks like under the bucket?

I've got a spare head here with some buckets if you need them.