MACKAZs XJ650 (gone) and XS850 (still got) Yamaha Bikes

MACKAZ

Well "acquired" this bike, its actually the old mans but him being into campervans now he got no time for it.

As per header its a XJ650 special. Being a "special" it is a lot rarer than your standard XJ.

Was in terrible state after been shed stored for 8 years, and has only been ridden 14 yes 14 kilometres since Dad purchased it in late 1999. Alloy was oxidised, paint was shot, tank was rusty inside, and not going.

Couple weeks back went and got tank and sidecovers, and prepped for paint. Dad had "started" (if you can call rubbing paint back with 60 grit "started") to get ready for paint, he had removed the tank badging and bogged the badge mounts over (with what looked like :shock: BUILDERS BOG :shock: ) I stripped it all off and started again.

Had painted tank and sidecovers all good and was installing tank when holy shit I dropped it and smashed one side in.FUCK.

Sooo stripped back to bare metal and redid it all. All it is needing now is an oil change WOF and REGO and ride. Will slam some pics up when I find my camera and learn how to post pics.......

• 3 weeks later...

Yep. Ghey still no photos. Have changed oil and filter, fixed up the muffler (just patched her up) and went for ride. Get home after horrid ride..... no power, oil leaking out, missing like son of a bitch when turn signals are on. Also this light coming on in gauge cluster with all this Japanese script under it. w3rd. Off to library I go and discover a few things. First of all its an 81!!!!! The light on the gauges is the kickstand warning lamp!!!! And that is tied into the ignition system! So I photocopy wiring diagram. Have not inspected electrics yet.

I am assuming that the lack of power may be being caused by perished inlet manifolds and carbs full of crap. When this God forsaken wqeather calms down I will investigate further. Have found some carbs and manifolds........bottom dollar $425 = freight.......

• 6 months later...

Whoa. Update. HUGE THANKS to FLAWLES for collecting and sending carbs I been waiting months for. Will have to extract from the shed and fit, replace the headlight that I broke, and get the headlight fitting ring welded back together. Also found another hole in the rh muffler that'll need welding up for wof, and a trip to the auto sparkie to find out why spark is intermittent when the indicators are switched on.

More after my holiday.....

• 1 month later...

In rarity related news, I extracted the XJ out from under its hidey hole where its been lurking for the last few months. Removed the headlight ring and got a GC dude at work to tig it back together. The ridgey didge spotwelds just weren't up to the task.

Due to having to remove the petrol tank I tought it'd be a good idea to check how much fuel was in it.

This ahhh proved to be difficult, the bloody cap wouldn't open!!!! Luckily my brother whos a locksmith happened to rock around at that time. Cap lock is stuffed, the little pivot points that operate the lock were broken off. Only one thing for it and had to drill the lock out. So now Im looking for a petrol cap dammit.....

Carb removal proved to be a lot easier than I was anticipating, as was replacing them. But in my rush to remove the carb rack, I got a bit overzealous with the fuel line and managed to break the fuelfilter, Meh no biggie.A bracket for the choke had to be changed over. No big issue. And this carb rack had a meke chrome accelerator cable bracket which I retained. Installation of the Air Filter pipes was an utter bastard, but after much colourful langauge, sweat and skinned knuckles Shes basically ready to fire again.(apart from the fuel filter.)

Also stole (chur Jason!!) one of the old headlights out of the Flintstone Van and bunged it in. Just thankful it has a stock 7" sealed beam as my other 1980 Yamaha XS850 has a 8" headlight, and they are extremely hard to find.

Hopefully I can knock off work early tonight and go and get a filter. Oh and pulled the plugs out and one was petrol fouled (I think due to a carb being buggered) so Ill get another while at the bike shop

• 2 weeks later...

Well got the filter and a couple of plugs. bunged em it and threw the tank back on her so I had something to hold the gas. Wound over and fired up first pop.....

And then noticed a substantial amount of petrol running out of airbox all over the exhaust. I promptly switched bike off, washed it with water so it wouldnt ignite, and shut the garage doors in disgust.

Will remove carb rack again on days off and see wtf is up in there......

• 1 month later...

Shit. Removed carb rack, all gunked up inside with white oxide crap. Cleaned and reinstalled. fired her up without airbox being collected. Running sweet.......until............

PETROL is being blown out of the crankcase.....WTF????? Only thing I can surmise is that the old carbs have been leaking fuel past the needle valves and its running past the rings. So drained the sump, out came BRAND NEW oil mixed with approximately 4l of gas. Have left it in the shed with fuel in the tank as a test to see whether tthe fuels escaping or not.

ALSO scored another petrol cap LOCALLY for $15.....Stoked......

• 4 months later...

Holy shit Batman.... Yes I am still alive. Anyhow with the weather being soo mint out here and much encouragement from my boss I decided Id have another go at this POS. Boss also ordered me to put it on a trailer and take it to work, so I could work on it IN COMPANY TIME!!!!!!! Couldnt do that shit at the dairy company..... Had a warrant pre check done by the tech who does wofs. Failed on brake disc binding, front pads unevenly worn, and steering head bearings. Have replaced disc with XS650 and filed down the original pads, That will do for now. Steering head bearings were an utter bastard with 42 steel balls proceeding to fall all over the floor. In jubilation I actually found all fucking 42 and reinstalled with copious amounts of tacky red grease.(good shit that stuff). All gravy.

This week some stage shes going over to Shaw Motorcycles to get the carbs sychned and tuned and a wof.

FINALLY FINISHED but will have to repaint over nex winter. Not pleased with current scheme, but will do for meantime.

• 3 weeks later...

Due to having constant velocity carbs small filters are non advisable.And to top it off when I took her over to Shaws, the starter decided that the brushes had met the end of their life, $160 for the brushplate and another $30 for the positive brush can get fucked. $100 from tardme to the rescue.

Have also taken on a basketcase XS850 triple as the next project. Currently seized, this bike has awesome cafe racer/ bobber potential.....

• 3 weeks later...

Triple update. WD40 is not a good un-seizer, neither is CRC Penetr8. Got all keen and decided to whip the head and barrels off it. Found number 2 cylinder had nice rust ring around it, which came off with no pitting on the bore. Fucking lucky to say the least.... Some muppet prior to my purchasing had installed number 3 piston BACK TO FRONT =D> and numer 1 piston has about 8mm of the lower skirt broken off =D> =D> and I managed to break one compression ring. Internet search of pistons are ex USA or England. That can get fucked. Im getting the ring made as we speak and its throw the bitch back together.

The carbs are toast, and about 4million times rarer than the XJ, so its off to exhaust shop for a 41mm tight u bend and Ill whip up a manifold. Carburettor a la Suzuki 1000cc Carry van to be fitted. Will keep posted.

• 2 weeks later...
how'd the carry carb work out?

That project has been left simmering on backburner for time being, Offroader and my quad being taking up a lot of my time, and trademe surfing for van to carry said quad. (success on van front, acquired dieseasel Bongo Van nearly OS 1987!!!!)

• 2 months later...

Well not much to skite about. While trying to reassemble the triple I managed to totally fuck the broken piston. BUT found a fantastic US website devoted to Yamaha triples, and found a mad as fuck about triples fanatic in NZ who just happens to have a set of 3 second hand stock size pistons,.... like holy fuck!!!!!!!! And this mad bastard owns over 50% of all the 10 that were originally registered!!!!!! He desperately tried to buy mine (rarest of all Yamaha triples) to no avail. What a GC. Pistons be here soon, and hes also got me a useable head gasket for buck shee....awesome..

The XJ has done about 3000k since I got her legit, gives a cough every once in a while but thats it.......

Parts accumulation has started for the next project.......

Yeah concur, as per H1/2/3 Kwakas. The 850 has an original 3into2 system on it, been offered pretty good mony but hate ther sound a triple maked thru one pipe. Intention is to have 850 going this year hopefully, just gonna screw the old rereg plate on her and give it shit. Need to find some gauges and shit but will try my "mate" down south.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

YeAh small update on triple front, the pistons have had the ring grooves machined and a new set of rings made, awesome. decided its gonna be easier to reassemble the engine out of the frame, so thats going to happen after the weekend.....als acquired a ridgy didge seat for it...yay.

• 3 weeks later...

Woot, Ive got the engine back together thanks to an awesome $3 trademe clymers motorcycle manual. Real simple engine.

Off to exhaust shop to procure pipe to make the inlet manifold. things are happening. And a change in plans for the rod, going to build a 4x2 chassis from scratch. Body to be either '19 Ford C-cab or '23 Willys Tourer. Like the idea of the latter.

Trans more than likely to be Commodore 5 speed, front end Mitsi L200, EA falcon diff.