Rustys 82 Lance-r

Brock-Lee

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok ive noticed a fuk load of exs on here at the mo! prety much all sporting 4 cylinder turbo 4g63's and coz im always striving to b a lil difernt lol ive bin having a look into the 6a12tt v6 mitsi engines (found in legnums and shit) i rekon one of these would surely have potential and would certainly fill the gap in the engine bay. wot do u guys rekon about this???? too hard full stop or easily doable??? anything harsh to consider??? churr

Do it man, V6 would rule.

Probably a space issue though.

Mayeb SOHC v6 from Pajero or Mitsi GTO setup including gearbox.

Shit engine in the GTO but would be sweet with the less whale like weight of the EX.

Uhhh, it was one of the fastest production vehicles out of japan. It wasn't the engine or weight, it was the electronics really

Also, adapt Pajero V6 box to GTO engine. I vote non-turbs on ITBs

fuel is the man to talk to. All the small v6's don't have any mounting points for rwd styles and neither does the gto engine but it is essentially the same engine as the pajero, so you could use that block with the head and turbos from the gto if you wish.

I think the block is a large, heavy lump of cash iron though, so perhaps it would not make a perticularly good starting point for an epic NA beast.

Add to that the tunability of the filthy 4g63 and you really have a lot of justification to do for the added effort of the 6 cylinder-ness.

Would be very awesome though!

But yeah as I say, this is second hand info from philboe from when I was trying to convince him into an awesomely different engine conversion for the eterna so he's the man to talk to.

haha cheers. yeah I considered putting my 6A12 mivec into the eterna when I had it out of the galant rebuilding it. Problem is it's a 'new generation' engine which has the mounts bolted to the gearbox as opposed to the block like the earlier engines. Also, there is no RWD gearbox which would bolt to the 6A12 (or any 6A1x series).

If you want RWD V6, 6G72 would be your best bet. The GTO does have mounts for RWD on the block as it's pre 'new gen', but the 6G7x is an old engine compared to the 6A1x series. They are reasonably strong, but getting parts like gaskets, bearings, pistons etc are getting costly these days. I rebuilt my 6A12 with genuine pistons for under $1300, you would need to double that for a 6G72. A 6G72 is over 200kgs too, whereas a 6A12 is around 150kgs - not much heavier than a 4G63.

If I were to do it though, I would use GTO block with RWD stuff (water pump + routing, DOHC manifold) from a Pajero, Diamante 30M MIVEC heads, and GTO TD04 turbos. L200s come V6 (quite rare though), and Pajero box would fit on minus the transfer case.

6A10 is the DOHC 1600cc engine, holds the record for smallest production V6, puts out 145hp. It is possible to put in a 6A1x series with custom mounts attached where the air con pump would be, and with a custom made bellhousing, and a chopped firewall to accomodate the thermostat housing - but at the end of the day it would end up costing alot, especially if you have to get people to fabricate it all for you.

Honestly I toyed with this idea for like a whole week, even if I rebuilt the engine myself using my parts hookups, it would be a seriously expensive conversion. I'm staying 4G63 as it's by far the easiest and cheapest way to get power.

my 2 cents.

also fuck Nissan engines, a VG30DETT barely even fits in a 300ZX engine bay, dunno how it would squeeze into an EX Lancer. 6G72 was originally FWD layout so they made it quite compact, and the 6A12 is even more compact.