Flauski's 1972 Datsun 1200 Coupe

Flauski

Hey All, bout time I posted my coupe up in this piece :D

I always loved the 1200, had a mate back in the day who had a mustard coupe with a worked A12. It was quick! And gave another mates worked 1600 twin cam Fiat 125 regular hidings!

Probably has a lot to do with the weight, not too many cars lighter that this puppy which tips the scales barely over 700kg

1972 Datsun 1200 Coupe.

Another sweet thing about these is the interchangibility from other Datsuns.

It will be running;

A15 (From Sunny)

60A 5-speed box (from Sunny)

H165 diff (from 1200 Ute - bigger diff that can handle SR20DET)

1200 Ute crossmember (so A15 will bolt straight in)

B310 Sunny bottom arms (bolt in more neg camber)

B210 120Y swaybar (20mm instead of standard 17mm straight bolt in)

B310 Sunny castor rods (more castor adjustment)

280ZX struts and brakes (shorter than standard, same dimensions less offset and they pull up 2.8 litre turbos dont they?)

B310 Sunny modified 5 core radiator

C20 Nissan Caravan Internally regulated Alternator

E15 Pulsar electronic distributor

just to name a few things....... :lol:

Here it is when I first got her; (I am second owner)

a121vk5.jpg

a122in0.jpg

toolsjn1.jpg

Original tool kit, all tools embossed with Nissan.....

sideez2.jpg

Without wheels...

wheelsoffop3.jpg

Wheels with new Advan A048 (same as Cheater 5 :D )

p1000369tv6.jpg

With new wheels, but too much glare with garage door open. So will take better ones on a crappier day with less sun (WHAT did I just say that??)

BLING BLING!!

a153kv8.jpg

And who knows what this is????? MUWAHAHAHAHHA

Thanks to the Mystery Man.... Its a rear as FUCK; GX Bonnet :shock:

gxyp5.jpg

But some clown has put a large skim of bog over almost the entire thing? And in vain, as there is no rust and only a few really minor dents????? :rolleyes: And no the scoop is not made of bog, shes all tin.

Seats bolted in, mock up the dash and it fits sweet (so it should)

Its a Japanese JDM Sunny GX dash too, another rare item. Never seen another in NZ

The "GX" was the top of the line 1200 Sunny in Japan. It had the fancy bonnet (as pictured), different dash (as pictured) different badges which I am working on getting and a better head with larger ports and twin carbs. The later model ones came with 5 speed gearboxes too.

I hope to have mine up to GX spec. I only know of one real GX Coupe in NZ, and I know the owner well :D

sunnydashinxk0.jpg

recarosinlo2.jpg

Then I lowered it with springs and leaves from Japan (bear in mind no motor in at this point)

Lowered it about 70mm

clonesidesw9.jpg

cloneside2ar3.jpg

The motor I have is an A15, bored to 80mm, larger flat top pistons, lumpy cam, ported head (not head shown) , double valve springs, 40mm Dellortos blah blah.....

These pics are after I just stripped and repainted the block. Stupid repco only sells one type of blue - Ford! (oh well close enough to Nissan blue)

clonea15ue9.jpg

clonea152rw2.jpg

HIJACKED BY THE DARK SIDE OF THE FORCE!!! :D

clonehijakya6.jpg

Then I had the engine bay re-painted (only thing holding her back, body wise;

eng2wv7.jpg

eng1xm8.jpg

eng3yk9.jpg

Here are a few pics of the engine bay done (its dusty now though damn it!);

eng1vn2.jpg

eng2eb7.jpg

eng3gb1.jpg

My crossmember, arms, engine mounts, swaybar are all being powder coated this week.

Have all new Nolathane bushes for front end.

Yesterday I spent 3 + 1/2 Hours de-flooding my garage after some torrential rain last week! (12 buckets of water removed yall!) Man I was fucked off, a lot of stuff in boxes and boxes got soaked. Spent ages moving and sorting and hence is still untidy in above pics.

Have started polishing and modding some bits. Removed the Mitsubishi symbol from rear of alternator, and casting numbers from front cover. (will keep updating with progress)

polishpa7.jpg

Til next time............................. :wink:

Polishing mk2 =

Its all about the elbow grease. I can only handle about an hour + 1/2 before the tips of my fingers get fucked and I start feeling sick from dust (yes thats with a mask too!)

Have not even started the actual polishing yet, the better the prep, the better the result. :badgrin:

polish2se8.jpg

And got my powder coated parts back today! :shock: Look better than I thought they would.

powder1ue7.jpg

With nolathane bushes in;

powder2wn4.jpg

Just taken my steering box into Mosrax to get it refurbished, then it can all start going back together :D

• 4 weeks later...