kyteler's 1963 Prince Skyline Super

kyteler

Link to Discussion thread here;

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13435

More pictures once I get them all sorted;

It's been in storage since 1985 when it was only 22 years young. Dead reg, needs some resto and to be put back onto the road/re-reg so will be waiting in line after the C110 :lol: that said, it will no doubt be a while but I couldn't pass it by when it was offered to me.

s2101rj9.jpg

Brief Skyline History Lesson, for those interested;

(NB: '?' is used in place of 'S' Standard or 'D' Deluxe model variants)

1957 - ASLI?-1 : GA30 4cyl 1484cc

cnv8049ln2.jpgcnv8050ys1.jpg

1959 - ALSI?-2 : GA4 4cyl 1484cc

cnv8055ex1.jpgcnv8057gb7.jpg

1961 - BLSI?-3 : GB4 4cyl 1862cc

cnv8058to5.jpg

1962 - S21?-4 : G2 4cyl 1862cc

princeskylines21spg1tg4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's ALIVE! :D

Bit smokey, I think the valve seals are likely gone but it runs and all the electrics work, just the clutch isn't working, oh.. and the brakes, I didn't look at them yet either. I'll probably have to drop the box to deduce why the clutch isn't working, but once I do that and get it rolling and running it's going to make things a million times easier.

• 1 month later...

Stainless Sleeved and reconditioned Brake & Clutch masters and Clutch Slave.

Took them in to BNT on Tuesday, they sent them off, got them back from Hamilton on Thursday.

$330 later...

brakeandclutchmastersjz2.jpg

clutchslavedl6.jpg

That side gets bolted up to the gearbox, it's still cool though! Prince ftw!

I'll post up some pictures of my other spares at some stage (which these were) so you can get an idea of how they did look.

• 3 months later...

So, spent a few hours out at the S21 today bled the brakes. Took ages to get fluid through and then when it did, took ages for it to run clear. Sorted now, but the wheels are fairly stiff to turn, not much use in twenty years, So I jacked the rear up, fired it up and then checked to make sure the clutch is working and YUS! it is.

So, hopefully next weekend it won't be raining and I'll be able to take it for a bit of a spin, brakes working, clutch working, engine running, I found reverse which will come in handy. Just have to inflate one of the tubes and BAM, good for a spin.

Meeeeeean

• 2 weeks later...

No real update, I just wanted to have my car up the top the same time as solidstripe, PRINCE RULES YOUR FACE!

:lol:

Here's a picture I took in the weekend after I took it for it's drive under it's own motivation since the 80's

brmmzp5.jpg

(Sorry, no video just yet.)

Nothing to speak of directly. However I just discovered that I am e-famous!

http://mizma-g.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2 ... _3ce2.html

:D

Of particular note, is how the title translates.

"Prince dug skyline like supermarkets"

and this...

"Speaking of Super skyline in the country and not just the only extant only Ultra Rare car, but has apparently been found at the location overseas.

Right-hand drive vehicles is that the background of the atmosphere from Australia or New Zealand, I think, but I'm not sure it is familiar.

For reference, New Zealand had been exported to the間違いな. (↓) (↓) "

:D I'm not sure why, but I'm stoked.

Will get my boss to translate a few words for me to send to them I think, rather than using google translate.

Ok, so after posting the link to blog site above, I recently got a new blog entry on the guys page when he saw so many visitors onto his site from a .nz suffix.

Stoked.

I was just talking to my boss and she translated for me some things that google couldn't grasp and she will translate a letter for me that I will write whilst at work tonight, then I will email the guy directly with it. :D

Now there's a blog entry that links directly to this thread, as opposed to the one on JNC, which might not receive as many updates or at least it will be interrupted by people commenting inbetween, unlike OS, which keeps it seperate.

In other non-internet news. If today's weather keeps up over the weekend, I'll hopefully get a lot more done on the car. 8)

Well, I did a bit of a disassemble, clean and reassemble on the carb today, it ran MINT. So mint, I fixed the binding R/F brake and decided to try my luck taking it for a spin. I got a few kms but something went a miss on the way back. I think it's a fuel delivery issue but unsure exactly where and what. Might just be low fuel in the tank. Which should really be removed and drained out anyway :lol: I put an inline filter in (it didn't have one initially) and the amount of crap it's picked up, while to be entirely expected. Is absolutely hilarious.

So, next week... sort out the rest of the brakes so that all four drums are working as well as the R/F is now and then likely work on the steering having a theatre's worth of play in it and then onto the fuel tank.

The short term is to get the car actually running and able to be driven, so that anything else I need to get done, is a HELL of a lot easier with a movable car.

Unfortunately, two things have come up recently that require cash. One is another Skyline and the other is an engine for my other Classic Skyline, the C110. So, things may slow to a grinding halt on this again. We'll see.

Played around with the L/F Drum today, checked compression in the engine. Its down on 3, which explains the heinous amounts of smoke, but it's not all bad I guess. The engine runs well enough to move it in and out of the shed which is all I'm really after at the moment.

After pissing around getting greasy and dirty fixing the L/F Drum;

prince_6stud-drums.jpg

prince_brakecylinder.jpg

prince_brakecylinder2.jpg

I turned my attention to something a little more instantly gratifying, a cut and polish;

You can see the level of oxidization on the far side of the boot lid.

paint_on_s21.jpg

Was impressed and pleased at how well it came up; I've only done from the B-pillar back and half the boot/rear. So, 1/4 of the car. Will likely do the rest tomorrow, then give it all a quick extra going over and it should come up fairly sweet I think going by the current results.

polished_RR_qtr.jpg

An Artsy shot, just because;

Prince_rear.jpg

Some more playing about with the carb and some more polishing.

The problem I had initially with the carb is that it looked as though someone had jammed a steel plate in and bent the alloy around it, to hold it in, so when i first cleaned it out, I didn't get into the float chamber because I was dubious about said plate and how the surroundings looked.

However, after now having this parts book, I discovered that the non-G2 powered cars didn't have the plate, but the G2 ones did. So with that discovery taken into account, some fine screwdrivers were used to wedge the plate out from in front the float bowl and this is what was discovered;

prince_carb.jpg

:lol: It's a bit yuck in there. With that done now, the carb will need to be taken off again and the jets and breathers all blown out once more. Not a big drama, all good, will do that next week.

I also did some more brake work, the rear brakes have been done as well now, which means that all the brake drum cylinders have more been removed, cleaned up, reassembled and the brake system bled. Hoorah! I went ahead and tested the brakes. The right hand side is working mint, the left will need adjusted. Being the car is from 1963 there's no self adjustment in the brakes, however, there is an access hole for the adjust, but.. it's easier to just take the drums off and adjust, because it's a pain in the ass to get to the adjuster easily regardless of this hole.

I then went ahead and polished another 1/4 of the car, this time I took some slightly better shots;

BEFORE; (note the scratches, rust stains and scuff and greasy hand marks as well as the oxidization)

prince-polish-01.jpg

DURING; with cut applied, firmly but not 100%, enough to get the majority of the standout flaws off

prince-polish-02.jpg

AFTER; Ooooh, shiney beige!

prince-polish-03.jpg

As I said yesterday. After I've given the whole car a once over in sections, I'll go over it again another time, to get rid of any residual crap that I've missed and the remainder of the stubborn oxidization.

The eagle eyed of you will notice a series of bodge repairs in the panel work. Hopefully not too much of a drama to remedy, finding panels might prove a little difficult to say the least! Luckily I know a really good body man.

• 2 weeks later...

After some more fiddling about this weekend. It appears that at least the left hand side may have been repainted at some point. Or at the very least, the rear section. That's on top of all the bodge paint repairs that are just a flick of a brush in a "close enough/she'll be right" colour. I'm beginning to feel less concerned about repainting it. Although I have to say, it's gone from wanting to paint it, to wanting to not paint it and to now be disappointed that painting it won't be that big of a deal. Old cars, a rollercoaster of emotions! :lol:

The carb still needs some work, it's been entirely cleaned out, but there's something a miss still, will give it a tune and see how that goes, was going to do it this weekend my Saturday was good, then Sunday crap, so didn't bother going out.

My brother fixed the wiring for the reverse lamps (which work on a switch on the dash) Someone had done a horrible wiring job, using old telephone wires :x While he was doing that, he also connected a little green lamp on the dash that comes on when the reverse lamps are on, just so you're aware, a handy thing when they're not connected to the box itself so won't go off automatically. Could prove hilarious/dangerous at night time to just pull the switch and watch the people in the cars behind freak out entirely.

I fixed the wiring at the boot end, which for reasons unknown, had also been messed with. The only reasoning I can fathom is that perhaps someone had wired a trailer plug in at some stage, the removed it and left a mess of insulation tape behind. As a result of all this fettling, all the electronics now appear to be working properly, except for the wipers which I've not even really taken a look at yet. They moved initially, so it's either a bad connection, fuse, the motor has died or the arms just aren't sitting on the spigots correctly.

It was whilst cleaning out the boot and tidying it that I noticed a few weird possible repaint signs. Again, disappointing. On the plus side though, the rust in the boot that I was really concerned about, is trivial compared to what I had imagined. So that's something to be entirely happy about!

I think next week I might finish off the polishing, slap some hubcaps on one side (I only have three correct caps) and take a photo of how it looked, for the last time before it starts getting stuff done to the metal and never looking the same again (at least in the near future).

• 2 weeks later...

OK, got the final quarter polish, replaced the pitted bumper with the good one, straightened the bumper mounts, as you can see the were a little worse for wear. It's taken a minor shunt in the left front, nothing overly dramatic, but enough to push the guard back slight and screw the mounts etc.

Slapped on some hubcaps and took some photos of it as it sits now, before I start pissing about with the more serious stuff at which point the solid Coronado Yellow colour will start looking patchy and eventually not be yellow/beige/cream anymore. So, a fairly pivotal moment in it's history, I think.

Pitted Bumper

Skyline_Front_Bumper_02.jpg

Good Bumper

Skyline_Front_Bumper_01.jpg

Bent Mounts

Skyline_Front_Bumper_04.jpg

Skyline_Front_Bumper_03.jpg

Skyline_Front_Bumper_05.jpg

Last of polish on with straightened mounts and replacement bumper in place

Skyline_Front3qtr_01.jpg

The last few artsy shots of it as it stands;

Skyline_Side_01.jpg

Skyline_Rear_01.jpg

Skyline_Rear_02.jpg

Skyline_Side_02.jpg

While I was pissing around all over the place taking random photos, a little bird decided it wanted to say hello, I quite like the shot;

PrinceThrush.jpg

A few photos of the underside of the car, for those who might be interested.

It runs a deDion w/ leaf rear suspension setup.

Skyline_Underside_01.jpg

Skyline_Underside_02.jpg

As you can see, the driveshaft is almost completely enclosed save for the very end that attaches to the diff head.

Skyline_Underside_04.jpg

Skyline_Underside_03.jpg

The only thing that hangs is the exhaust, and it's hanging particularly low and exiting in the wrong place, so will have to be remedied regardless, I'm thinking a few mufflers and a simple 1¾" exhaust, tucked up nice and close to the floorpan, then once it's sitting a bit lower, there won't be any problems with scraping and it shouldn't even be vaguely loud. Afterall, the engine is a pushrod 1.9l 4cylinder, so not exactly the best sounding, as such, I'd rather not make a spectacle of it. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Alright, so having bought the H230 the other day I thought I'd go out to where the S21 is stored and take a few shots of both of my classic sedan's together.

Slapped a battery into the Prince and it fired up straight away, after months of inactivity. Win! 8)

So yuh,

S21H230.jpg

S21H230-03.jpg

S21H230-04.jpg

S21H230-02.jpg

• Like 2