10speeds awesome dub of awesomeness

johnnyfive

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of people have asked how to lower a bug. Heres a 1 minute (to type up) how to...

Step 1: pull the beam remove the extra bits, should look something like this:

king__link_pin_beam.jpg

Too anyone contemplating this job it should be pretty obvious how the front suspension works from the above pic. But just in case, there are torsion bars running across the beams fixed in the middle by a set screw.

Step 2: pop down to your local aircooled vw shop (most cities have them) or fire up the internet and buy a pair of adjusters. They should cost less than $40 NZ each.

23_VWFrontTorsionLeaveAdj.jpg

Step 3: cut the centre section (with the set screw in it) out of each beam and weld in the adjuster. If your after the tucked front wheel look now is a good time to remove a couple of inches from your beam.

narrowed-2209.jpg

disclaimer: these arn't pics from mine (there weren't any taken)

and fyi drilling out the set screw and removing the shocks works but isnt the best way to lower a beetle :wink:

Hey UncleJake

Just a quick question (and probably very dumb) but why hasn't anyone built a VW for pre 65 - theres an absolute bucketload of aftermarket parts to make them go and handle after all.

Personal choice would not to use a bug, but a variant fastback or such (assuming better aero)

Good question.

There has been at least one Pre65 Beetle but it has not been raced for a long while. A Tauranga guy was in the process of building one about three years ago but I don't think he got very far. It would be a very interesting concept if you could get it to handle properly - which I think would be difficult

I don't know if anyone has thought of a Variant before though. That could be balistic given the awesome traction and lower centre of gravity. Fastbacks didn't come out until 1966 so they would not qualify

Sorry for Spam - but it is somewhat relevant to 10Speed's dub of doom

I don't know if anyone has thought of a Variant before though. That could be balistic given the awesome traction and lower centre of gravity. Fastbacks didn't come out until 1966 so they would not qualify

Sorry for Spam - but it is somewhat relevant to 10Speed's dub of doom

I think you'd still face the handling problems in a variant, they were all still swing axels back then opposed to 'irs'. coupled with the extra body weight. Having said that though, it would sure look cool :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...