Converting Bike Engines to run RWD setup

Seedy Al

yea, you will find that they and beetles, and probably imps tend to spin around while going around corners

I could hold a slide in my 54 just fine, and it didnt even have lsd!

mr2's are dangerous. its all in the setup.

typically heavy rear = hard to slide, once slides, cant be got back

typically light rear = easy to slide, once slides requires great skill to get back

50/50 = dream to drive and even tyre temperature when pushing hard.

bike engine based engines FTW! :-)

if i can lap a roundabout 3 times holding a slide in a mr2 id put it more down to driver skill than bad setup...but in saying that..most aw11's ive driven are setup poorly

driven a few 911's only had spins when i backed off gas.....thats pritty much teh issue i think people tend to drop balls lift off and make a mess of it and there underwear

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea, you will find that they and beetles, and probably imps tend to spin around while going around corners

I could hold a slide in my 54 just fine, and it didnt even have lsd!

mr2's are dangerous. its all in the setup.

typically heavy rear = hard to slide, once slides, cant be got back

typically light rear = easy to slide, once slides requires great skill to get back

50/50 = dream to drive and even tyre temperature when pushing hard.

bike engine based engines FTW! :-)

if i can lap a roundabout 3 times holding a slide in a mr2 id put it more down to driver skill than bad setup...but in saying that..most aw11's ive driven are setup poorly

driven a few 911's only had spins when i backed off gas.....thats pritty much teh issue i think people tend to drop balls lift off and make a mess of it and there underwear

all up i've been driving MR2's for 3 years. both SW20 and AW11. If your not a dumb retard slackjaw inbred pile of shit d1 tryhard homo wannabe, then MR2's are pretty good once in an intentional slide. predictable to a certain point. once you hit that point though its all over :P

christ....

need more tequila

the bike engines box will be far easier to do the conversion i think.

open wheelers and the likes use starter motors the engage onto teeth on the rear discs. that would be cheapest easiest option in my mind. but if u slapped say a gsxr1000 turb engine into a datsun1200 ute im sure u could open the door and flintstones it backwards piece of piss.

Why does nobody use a conventional gearbox behind one of these things? Its always the stocker gearbox, and then various workarounds to get reverse.

I know it is possible for some motors - for instance the Fiat FIRE 1000 (from Uno) and 1100 (from Punto's) were designed in conjunction with Kawasaki and are used in some bikes.

Another issue n one has mentioned yet is bike engine sumps. Bikes don't incurr much lateral g because (a) they lean over and (B) they don't have the tire area thus grip of a car (hence the different racing lines of bikes vs cars). As a result most bike engines require modifications to their oiling system when put into cars.[/code]

Why does nobody use a conventional gearbox behind one of these things? Its always the stocker gearbox, and then various workarounds to get reverse.

I know it is possible for some motors - for instance the Fiat FIRE 1000 (from Uno) and 1100 (from Punto's) were designed in conjunction with Kawasaki and are used in some bikes.

Another issue n one has mentioned yet is bike engine sumps. Bikes don't incurr much lateral g because (a) they lean over and (B) they don't have the tire area thus grip of a car (hence the different racing lines of bikes vs cars). As a result most bike engines require modifications to their oiling system when put into cars.[/code]

most teh bikes that i have pulled down have some of the most impresively baffled sumps ive ever seen

most teh bikes that i have pulled down have some of the most impresively baffled sumps ive ever seen

Perhaps, but almost all bike engines that end up in kit cars that then up as trackday toys need dry sumping. Most are fine on the road however.

wierd some of the speed way boys pull some good g's and have no issue

i guess it sounds liek something you would do out of a matter or course

///adds another 1500-2 grand+ to the cost of the build + you have to work out how to drive it

on toop of that on all the utube vids iv seen and all piccys ive seen on these projects ive never seen a drysump on one

wonder if the fase team has one on there uni project

would almost make it cheaper to build a worked car engine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
MR2's are pretty good once in an intentional slide. predictable to a certain point. once you hit that point though its all over

That's the point. You can slide them on purpose just fine. Piss easy. No worries. Ditto ANY car. However, when you are going REALLY fast (the true meaning of that seems lost on a lot of people) and pushing the limits NOT trying to slide, that is when they become dangerous and unmanageable. Beetles typically aren't capable of going fast enough to have issues :wink: Not a fan of the later mr2. I'd have an early 11 series one despite any faults it does or doesnt have though. When you push a nicely balanced car too hard with it neutrally balanced, it will be pretty benign. You can force a nicely balanced car into a state of imbalance and it will spin just the same. Even the best driver can't take a std mr2 or audi TT or or or or past the limit and get it back. Thats the point :-)

Just a thought.

just a point on this, working under a guy that builds bike engines for dirt track, he chops the gearbox off on bandsaw, cleans the remaining surface off in the mill, plates it up, pretty much done/ultra simple.

team that up with an adaptor plate and a suitable gearbag and youd be in business

(i bet youd sell alot of adaptor plates too)

• Like 1

Guest sexychevette
Also, it says he doesnt use a clutch for shifting one he is running, is this normal, flat shifting bikes?

Im not aware of any bikes that are designed to be shifted without a clutch. However theyre pretty forgiving, if you just bang it through even without rev matching it will go with no noise(just not quite as smooth)

If I owned the gearbox Id use a clutch though.

u stupid. bikes have dogboxes=clutch just slows you down on the upshift if you're fanging it. Also it will change more smothly without the clutch on the upshift if you change at the right time etc.

fuck i cant be botherd reading this thread. Just go get money and put that shit into carryvan

If your motorbike is not RWD, you're facing the wrong way

But seriously now, why not just buy a motorbike??

I(f I wanted a motor bike I would just buy one.

My only consern for the going backward part with a starter motor is torque for hills etc

Allan