re-registering a vehicle

pies

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you need some kind of receipt to show the transfer of ownership of the vehicle went ahead from the last registered owner to you. Then you need their name and address to give to the outfit who re-register the car, along with proof it has been on the road previously (number plate, WOF, rego slip etc) and a notice from the police that it isn't of any interest to them.

interested in this too, both my project and car I'm hoping to buy have been out of the system for ages and I have no proof of them being on nz roads (except code on ID plate saying its nz new, not sure if thats enough) but in this case can you not just get it revinned the way you do if you brought in a car from overseas?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey this is an interestin thread... I was in the same boat.... well i removed my tags off my beast and painted it/tidied up rusty parts. tags put in safe place.... GONE! someone tidied up...

Went to local vtnz rosebank rd akl... found the oldest looking dude and told him all what happened.

I tried to ask about "If my VIN tag was damaged beyond recognition would i be able to get another one made up, and whats the process. $83 dollars they need to sight old vin tag and then they'd change it...

So then i says na ... What about if i lost it? He says write a letter to the VTNZ , all and any supporting documents. I photocopied everything i had including the ownership papers and old paper stuff dating back to 1977 all of it was copied and then went to the JP and got them to sign off on sightin the originals...

Wrote a letter... About how i got my tags lost/misplaced....

Added it all into a envelope sent to NZTA wellington and then waited.... and waited .... and waited.... 6 weeks later Letter arrives.

Alot of Gobbily goo stuff big words but in a nutshell .... Take this letter for the next warrant and its all good. No VIN tags etc. :thumbleft:

Things that were not in my favour... selling engine and gbox with original engine ID ....

Things in my favour... told them i had 2 cars stolen already (no bshit) and i was in no way trying to re-identify the vehicle. Reg was on hold in my name.

Good luck with your efforts....

• 3 months later...

I'm almost ready to get my mini licensed again, but I have a few worries.

I started out with two minis, one was just a bare shell with chassis plate, but de-reg and no history what so ever. No licence plate, nothing.

The other was rusted to hell but was all good mechanically, also de-reg. This one came with an old window licence label and one matching licence plate. They are now one car, nice shell painted by myself and rebuilt with the components from the other.

Looking through the NZTA stuff it seems that I need to prove that the car has been registered in NZ before and I must provide proof of ownership. Reading through the posts here it seems like proof of ownership shouldn't be a big deal as i can just get the police to say it hasn't been stolen or something like that.

The problem is proof of previous registration. I have no proof that the nice shell has been registered before, but I do have proof that the other one has (but the plate doesn't show up on carjam, I guess cause of being de-reg?). What do I do in this situation? Are there records of chassis numbers that have been registered before? I thought about just swapping the chassis plates but that seems a bit under handed, the crap shell has already been scrapped however... The engine number would then match but not the original colour. I also have no idea what year the shell is.

I'm really confused as to what is legal and what kind of records there might still exist of either vehicle.

If anyone could offer any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh and while I'm at it, anything particular I should watch for when the inspection time comes other than usual wof stuff?

Thanks, Andrew

Edit: I have two tags for each shell, the factory chassis plate and a smaller plain metal tag with a short serial number consisting of two letters followed by four numbers. I haven't ever seen these in pictures of British minis so i'm guessing they were added here in NZ.

Surely the nice one was registered before, go down to the place thats going to re-vin it and get them to run the chassis number and check.

No one will care about the engine number or colour change.

You could also pretend the you have done up the rusty one to make it simple, when you own both cars and ones gone its hardly conversion.

You can buy the plates also and stamp you own numbers on it to suit, a lot of Minis have had that done.

I don't think you anything to worry about, unless it was previously stolen.

I was discussing this with a good friend of mine his response was this. "The GOVT has given me a way to put on hold vehicles and I can do this online. My interests are not with newish cars so I can remake the stamped chassis plates no hassle. So what do I have? I have 100 odd cars in the system and most have been scrapped but I have the chassis numbers neatly stored in the LTSA computer. If I buy a car and its dereg I copy the plate and give it my existing chassis number in the system." The process is a real cost saver.

If you claim the plates are lost you can get replacements. If you really keen you save the tags on old cars and the plates. Makes a rusty parts car with live redgo worth a bit.

Fuck it I've sold plenty of plates etc. Its a fuckround if you dont have the chassis tags with engine/chassis/build numbers etc though.

Anyone have access to VTNZ database? I cant find my rx4 on there but its been previously registered etc but dont know old rego and cant find chassis plate. no numbers engraved on windows. all i have is the chassis number.

be kinda silly to have to find 929 plates and then cert an original 12a rx4 sedan

• 1 month later...

Does any one know if you can change from exempt class B (farm reg) back to G and put a WOF on without all the revin type stuff? I'm pretty sure I swapped my HQ over to G from exempt a few years ago but can't remember if it was class A or B. Most the info I've found searching is about class A.

• 1 month later...

G'day guys,

Quick question hoping someone will have experience with.

I've got a holden hq resto project which is near the registration point. Its gotta live rego, I've got all the paper work, change of rego/sale etc, its in my name. Ive got the original black plates but DONT have the tags. Extensive work has been done to it and we've used a new sub-frame so there is no stamped chassis number either. Do I need to go through the vinning process or will they just issue me a vin number? Will I encounter any problems? Do I need anymore documents?

Cheers fullas.

JJ

G'day guys,

Quick question hoping someone will have experience with.

I've got a holden hq resto project which is near the registration point. Its gotta live rego, I've got all the paper work, change of rego/sale etc, its in my name. Ive got the original black plates but DONT have the tags. Extensive work has been done to it and we've used a new sub-frame so there is no stamped chassis number either. Do I need to go through the vinning process or will they just issue me a vin number? Will I encounter any problems? Do I need anymore documents?

Cheers fullas.

JJ

This exact scenario with the (good) result was displayed just a few posts up from yours...

Hey this is an interestin thread... I was in the same boat.... well i removed my tags off my beast and painted it/tidied up rusty parts. tags put in safe place.... GONE! someone tidied up...

Went to local vtnz rosebank rd akl... found the oldest looking dude and told him all what happened.

I tried to ask about "If my VIN tag was damaged beyond recognition would i be able to get another one made up, and whats the process. $83 dollars they need to sight old vin tag and then they'd change it...

So then i says na ... What about if i lost it? He says write a letter to the VTNZ , all and any supporting documents. I photocopied everything i had including the ownership papers and old paper stuff dating back to 1977 all of it was copied and then went to the JP and got them to sign off on sightin the originals...

Wrote a letter... About how i got my tags lost/misplaced....

Added it all into a envelope sent to NZTA wellington and then waited.... and waited .... and waited.... 6 weeks later Letter arrives.

Alot of Gobbily goo stuff big words but in a nutshell .... Take this letter for the next warrant and its all good. No VIN tags etc. :thumbleft:

Things that were not in my favour... selling engine and gbox with original engine ID ....

Things in my favour... told them i had 2 cars stolen already (no bshit) and i was in no way trying to re-identify the vehicle. Reg was on hold in my name.

Good luck with your efforts....

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm balls deep in all this now.

Found out original RX4 plate number that was dereged in the late 90s.

VTNZ didnt have the chassis number correct but the plate number sorted it all out.

So now I have a signed statutory declaration saying I own the car and who i bought it off and the police are chasing up the last registered owner although I dont think this is necessary.

Biggest hassle sounds like it'll be repair cert as I'm doing all the work myself. May just try fluke it and say it had no welding done

The rules around a repair cert sound very cloudy. My mates old man got caught up with this with the restore of his XA coupe.

I think his issue differed in that it was still in the system and had been taken for a wof (iirc possibly it was out of the system and went for a revin) but this was before repairs were done so they were identified, so had to go down the repair cert route. If you are just welding up the odd rust patch, then surely if you present a fairly solid car at revin they would just give it the "strict wof" look over that the seem to apply for revinning old cars?

I don't know. Talked to repair cert place today. There was only one certifier in Dunedin doing it and he died a month ago. They now have to get a guy up from Invercargill once a week.

They wanna see the car in either steel or primer with no filler or paint. Wanted to see the damage first I said no can do. The thing is, they need the VIN number to make the repair cert. So I've gotta start the VIN process first which gives me a 28 day period to sort everything else out.

But I dont really wanna leave the car in primer and dismantle it for the repair cert.

Think I may just finish the car and take it for the VIN and not mention any rust repairs. Then if they tell me I need repair cert I'll take it to the repair certer to look over and choose if he wants to see me strip the paint back in places to check. At this point I guess he could make the mistake of his life and ask me to strip the whole thing but I doubt it.

I'm in a similar boat too, lets go sailing.

My bmw needs a repair cert, or, needs to be signed off by a repair certifier to say that it doesn't need a repair cert. Was written off due to minor accident damage.

As far as I'm aware, you can get repair cert/sign off by certifier before your VIN, that way it's out of the way and dusted.

Not sure if this helps, is just what I've researched.

Oh, and for the repair cert guy to say 'nah it doesn't need one' costs you about $120. Repair cert costs $400? and may need an 'electronic wheel alignment', and a couple other reports that cost ya a bit.

Probably not even relevant, but hopefully helps someone out. :)