re-registering a vehicle

pies

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel can probably give you a better idea having gone through the process itself

the jist of it is if your car is a later model it requires a more indepth check - interior panels off, brake components replaced which naturally incurs a higher fee

• 4 weeks later...

Yes you need some kind of receipt to show the transfer of ownership of the vehicle went ahead from the last registered owner to you. Then you need their name and address to give to the outfit who re-register the car, along with proof it has been on the road previously (number plate, WOF, rego slip etc) and a notice from the police that it isn't of any interest to them.

• 4 months later...

I have a car thats been imported from japan but just missed out on being able to register due to recent law changes. Its in beautiful condition, reasonably late model low ks car with no damage etc. So really at the moment its only good for parts.

I was at pick a part today and found another car like mine in the same colour same everything except it a few years older. (still same shape) It still has the Vin number on it. I did a rego check on it and its still currently registered with a current Wof. Would it be naughty of me to change the ownership into my name, take the vin number off to put on my imported car then get some new plates, new wof etc and use the car for my own personal use ?

I realise its illegal but so is doing 60kmh in a 50 zone.

Whats everyones thoughts on this ? Can anyone see any problems that may occure ?

If i ever go to sell my car i will remove the plates etc and sell it dereged as i believe its unfair to anyone who buys it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just re reged my Toyota corolla 1971 Ke26 wag at VTNZ and was surpriseingly easy - Paid $256 for revin/compliance check (included new wof sticker once repairs were done) then another $128 for plates and 6 months reg - was awsomely easy I just took the trade me page i brought the car from for the sale document thing - Love daily driving a og ke26 :)

• 1 month later...

I think im coming in late 6 pages in but I will share some knowledge!

Just like mazlyf said above, re-registration isnt as hard as some people believe. My rx2 was de-registered for 14 years.

I found the history with the chassis number. (it was actually entered wrong in the database, one of the digits was entered

as a letter - the police of all people helped me find it)

I bought the car with no plates or knowledge of any previous history.

All you need is a receipt from the person you purchased the car off to prove you are the owner (to show the sale)

and a police report to show the vehicle is of no interest to them. Ask at the local station for them to check the chassis

or previous rego and write a brief letter to prove this.

Thats it. Go to the compliance shop with the proof of sale and the police letter with your car as immaculate as

possible and when you collect it, it should have a fresh WoF and the paperwork to get a new registration.

If you need certification, work with the certifier so he will do his final check at the compliance center. The cert

will be attached to your car on collection

Done. Make sure you have $1000 the day you want to drive it home.

• 4 weeks later...

/\

Correct.

Get a WOF then rego, Drive. Black plates 'n all.

As long as its been on hold for over 3 months and you put it on hold straight after the last rego ran out,

no extra costs.

(if you put it on hold for whatever period of time but decide to use/reg it again within 3 months of FIRST putting

it on hold, you have to back pay that time/ sounds like its been on hold for a while and therefore you will be sweet.)

Plates don't change unless you let it lapse. (12 months no reg, NOT on hold)