re-registering a vehicle

pies

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to try put car into my name and see what happens I guess. We have the right chassis number so I guess we have the rights to plates?

you can put the car in to your name easy enough, you could report your rego has been stolen

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, after a bit of advice regarding purchasing/complying/owning a vehicle that someone else has imported into the country.

Is it true that the importer must go to the compliance centre with you to sign documents/provide identification. And the same for registering? And the vehicle must be registered in the importers name and can't be transferred/sold for six months?

How does that work if the importers at the other end of the country?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

• Like 1

I have bought a motorbike imported by someone else. And i got it registered. Aslong as it has the full paper trail, i don't think it matters.

The bike also hadn't been entered into the system at boarder inspection, so i had to apply for an exemption from boarder inspection. This was no dramas, as i had copies of the bill of lading, and customs docs.

So yeah, its all about the paper work, you will need paperwork showing the ownership trail to you.

If there is anything missing, or anything to question, leave it alone. Could be dramas.

• Like 1

The bike also hadn't been entered into the system at boarder inspection, so i had to apply for an exemption from boarder inspection. This was no dramas, as i had copies of the bill of lading, and customs docs.

So yeah, its all about the paper work, you will need paperwork showing the ownership trail to you.

Jackpot. I have this issue with a car but it's a long way from getting on the road. Have all the paperwork so should be OK

Thanks man.

• Like 2

Hey! This may have been asked before but here goes:

I want to reregister my 1988 ke70. I bought it from r100 who bought it from turners auctions. Turners chucked the plates (I think). However, even though they are white plates I'd still like to have the original number seeing as it's on all of the car's windows. I have invoice from Turners and the car is still on carjam and everything. Just wondering is there any way to get the original plate numbers back without having the plates?

• Like 1

Duplicate plates

If your registration plate has been damaged, destroyed or lost, you can apply for duplicate plates. You can only duplicate plates that are currently issued to the vehicle. Older style plates, ie the black plates with silver characters, can only be duplicated with a white retro-reflective background and black characters.

Duplicate ordinary plates will usually only be issued for plates that can be returned, ie damaged. Duplicate ordinary plates may be issued for plates that have been lost, stolen or destroyed if evidence of their destruction is provided, for example if the theft has been reported to the police.

To obtain duplicate plates you’ll need to be the registered person of the vehicle and have a New Zealand driver licence or other suitable ID. Payment can be made via credit card and cheque. Please allow 7–10 days delivery time.

Personalised duplicate plates vary in costs depending on the style. To order duplicate personalised plates contact LicenSys on 0800 REMAKE (736 253), fax 09 276 9829 or visit their website www.licensys.com (external link) .

• 8 months later...
On Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 11:25, pies said:

info thread for re-registering vehicles (maybe sticky somewhere?)...

[*:2jyhil48]LTSA Factsheet 9 - Reregistering your vehicle
[*:2jyhil48]Vehicle inspection requirements manual - In-service certification
also just emailing LTSA to find out about a checklist

Hi did you have to go through the inspection process again or is there a way to skip that?

• 5 months later...

Hey Everyone

Just arrived back in NZ last month and my car https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33440-catatonicchimps-1977-trabant-601/

should hopefully now be on solid ground in Welly (the boat arrived this morning),  I am assuming it's going to take a number of days/weeks, before it gets through the gauntlet of Customs/BioSecurity, but I was wondering where I can go to get the re registration checked etc done, that doesn't involve hiking down the road with an expensive tow truck to Lower Hutt.

Is there anywhere in the city that does Reregistration certs? (Nothing modified, nothing changed since it was last registered in NZ, except the odo with a couple of thousand extra km)

Cheers

Andrew

Out of interest, where did you take it and why did it need deregistration?

Last I heard you can just stick your rego on hold if you temporarily export a car.

You should be able to get it re registered at a VINZ/VTNZ and maybe AA station.