re-registering a vehicle

pies

so, classic car with lapsed rego as of 2015..

have the black plates and records, but last plate was a 3letter new plate.

carjam says the OG black plate isnt assigned to anything

PPlates say it's taken

come re-compliance testing.. it looks as though I'm up a creek for getting the black plates back on.

or am I??

Yo G! Whatchoo bort?!

Interwebs seem not too in your favour:

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licensing-rego/number-plates/

Re-issuing black and silver ordinary plates

In certain circumstances we will allow the re-issue of a vehicle’s older style black and silver plates. The following conditions apply.

•The number on the plates must be still available. Sometimes people use a number from the old black plates and put it on a personalised plate – in such cases the old plates cannot be re-used as the number has been 'taken'.

•The plates must be in good condition.

•You must prove that they were the plates issued to the vehicle when the registration was cancelled. The best evidence is the certificate of registration or other paperwork (insurance policy, repair receipts showing the registration number, etc).

This rule only applies to those who are reregistering their vehicle. For example, if a vehicle is currently registered with plates but previously had black and silver plates, these cannot be re-issued. Any person who is reregistering their vehicle and wishes to have their black and silver plates re-issued can write to:

Business Administration

NZ Transport Agency

Private Bag 11777

Palmerston North 4442

If approved, we will send you a letter to give to the agent processing your reregistration. This letter confirms that the plates may stay on the vehicle and that new plates are not required.

• Like 1

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so, classic car with lapsed rego as of 2015..

have the black plates and records, but last plate was a 3letter new plate.

carjam says the OG black plate isnt assigned to anything

PPlates say it's taken

come re-compliance testing.. it looks as though I'm up a creek for getting the black plates back on.

or am I??

What does the plates website say? If it's anything like my S21 it says it's "taken" but if you look the number up on carjam it comes up with nothing, it used to say "not assigned". I did some digging about my plate and it was actually available IIRC so I don't know how or what the plates website works off but it may pay to either talk to them or the NZTA about the issue.

Mind you, I guess the info up there from BVB says:

You must prove that they were the plates issued to the vehicle when the registration was cancelled.

Which could be your undoing. You may be able to go down the PP route, will just need to contact them about the status of the plates.

oh never you mind! bought a whip and put it straight into storage.. it'll come out later in life.

yeah this all seems to be the case, having been registered on later plates, post black plates, has rendered the black plate useless.

yep same experience KY, pplate site says it's taken but some phone calls would probably sort it out.

• Like 1

Until relatively recently there was no legal path at all to getting black plates back on a car, so it is better than it used to be - thanks to the VCC I suppose.

Best to be 'buyer beware' if you buy a dereg car. Otherwise keep your own rego's on hold and avoid the whole issue.

• Like 5

I just had my fiat 128 revinned on Wednesday. It had no papers and I kept the black plates.

If you have no papers you need to pick up a statutory declaration form from VTNZ or here

http://www.justice.g.../TTO 0609 2.pdf

you take it to the citizens advice and get a JP to witness you signing it- I took a copy of the trademe add and a note from the seller stating there were no papers and the chassis number and old plate number. Cost Free

to keep the black plates Email      Tania.Taite@nzta.govt.nz

she is the one that handles the black plate issues. You need to supply a pic of both the plates to show they are in good condition. She searches the data base to make sure the plates are on it  and sends you a email with a reference number and a phone number that you hand over at the testing station. 

The Black plate issue seems to be a well hidden secret because the testing station had never had anyone or heard of anyone keeping their plates.

But once they called Tania instant approval - and remember that keeping ya black plates knocks $19.95 off the revinning price

I hope this helps some one

P.S> stay away from Sylvia park VTNZ for revinning I have a 1 inch dent in my front valance and had to get a cert for it. The Cert inspector called the VTNZ guy a total F#%kwit . 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What does the plates website say? If it's anything like my S21 it says it's "taken" but if you look the number up on carjam it comes up with nothing, it used to say "not assigned". I did some digging about my plate and it was actually available IIRC so I don't know how or what the plates website works off but it may pay to either talk to them or the NZTA about the issue.

Mind you, I guess the info up there from BVB says:

You must prove that they were the plates issued to the vehicle when the registration was cancelled.

Which could be your undoing. You may be able to go down the PP route, will just need to contact them about the status of the plates.

To dredge this topic back up briefly - on the Personailzed Plates website all of the regular AAnnnn plates have been re-entered into the database as unavailable, this was to pave the way for the above scenario.

A friend of mine has access to the Government database (one step above what Carjam and plates.co.nz can provide) and recently spent a good half hour looking up plates from the huge pile of dead ones at Horopito. In most cases the Govt database still had a record of the vehicle even if it had been taken off the road well before the age of computerization and could confirm they were well and truly "out of the system".

• Like 5

AAnnnn refers to any government issue black plate (and all modern ones too) so yours is definitely covered by the above scenario. he will able to look it up easy peasy.

What's the plate?

Can just imagine the poor sods (probably summer interns or temps) who had to sit there entering the data in manually.

I have an old 1974 Harley Sportster I wanted to revin, it had no plates and I had no way to prove it was ever registered, I went to the local police station and after alot of explaining I got the guy to look up the chassis number and it was in there system for some reason and it wasn't stolen and I got the rego number and then got a VIR report and then everything was good.      

• Like 2

a few years ago I got some forms from somewhere to help with revin, one form was how I acquired the car and that needed to be validated by a JP and the other form was to to be filled out by a cop saying they had no interest in the car.

I can't rember where I got them from? any help?  

• Like 1

a few years ago I got some forms from somewhere to help with revin, one form was how I acquired the car and that needed to be validated by a JP and the other form was to to be filled out by a cop saying they had no interest in the car.

I can't rember where I got them from? any help?  

The compliance centre, or their inspector should be able to give you the correct forms to fill in.

• 2 months later...

This is what ive been looking for! Im in the same boat. .I inherited my pc vauxhall viscount approximately 10 years ago from my late uncle,iv done nothing to it since iv owned it,it's all original no rust been in dry storage since 85, it's sat in my garage since I got it, has running motor and box but no drive shaft.its a kind of car im not familiar with, i have no paper for it and no one to ask for some, car was last registered in 1985 but nothing is coming up in the system, it still has old black plates fitted, nothing comes up from body tags or plate number when I've called LTSA..finding this post has given me some hope now as i was thinking my only option was turning it into a skid car..this is my first post on oldschool.co.nz and don't access internet much and when I do its usually only Trade me..thanks

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought a xy falcon. It came with no plates or tags but has the old wof sticker and that plate number matcha the chassis number. Problem is the plates have been put on some other xy so are legal on someone else's car. Because that car has had a plate tag swap done. If we have bill off purchase the car with correct chassis number of we put those plates into our name are we the legal owner?

Just bought a xy falcon. It came with no plates or tags but has the old wof sticker and that plate number matcha the chassis number. Problem is the plates have been put on some other xy so are legal on someone else's car. Because that car has had a plate tag swap done. If we have bill off purchase the car with correct chassis number of we put those plates into our name are we the legal owner?

We have just run into this same problem with a 1947 ford, someonw has fitted the plates to another car, the chassis number was in the police system and i got the rego number

you might be able to clam them back?