re-registering a vehicle

pies

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone - can anybody point me in the direction of a good place in Auckland to Re-register my lapsed 1965 Land Rover? It is fairly good condition, but trying to avoid any major hurdles eg. repair certs or rust repair if I can help it... so trying to find someone semi lenient... Thanks!

On 12/05/2023 at 09:52, cjv2022 said:

Hi everyone - can anybody point me in the direction of a good place in Auckland to Re-register my lapsed 1965 Land Rover? It is fairly good condition, but trying to avoid any major hurdles eg. repair certs or rust repair if I can help it... so trying to find someone semi lenient... Thanks!

You're pretty limited as it's only certain inspection places that can do it, not just any old workshop. I used VTNZ, and even then not all branches do it.

My best advice is to go over the vehicle with a fine toothed comb and fix anything that could be an issue, now - especially anything rust or structure related, and not give the inspector anything to write down. That extra time now will pay dividends later when you don't need to get a panel beater report for rust or something.

• Like 2

On 12/05/2023 at 09:52, cjv2022 said:

VTNZ in pukekohe is not bad for older vehicles, they have inspectors who are familiar with older vehicles 

There is no place now that is 'lenient' any more when it comes to re reg or compliance. Especially since the dramas that happened a few years ago with heavy vehicle certification, a lot of inspectors are scared of getting things even slightly wrong

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, cletus said:

VTNZ in pukekohe is not bad for older vehicles, they have inspectors who are familiar with older vehicles 

There is no place now that is 'lenient' any more when it comes to re reg or compliance. Especially since the dramas that happened a few years ago with heavy vehicle certification, a lot of inspectors are scared of getting things even slightly wrong

Clint, is it true, that anything that needs re-vin/re-rego from either June/July this year, needs full chassis/underside  strip/sandblast to check for rust ?

Havent heard anything,

That is kind of the current situation anyway, if theres any signs of repairs or if someone has undersealed the whole car / looks like someone has tried to hide something 

Unfortunately sandblasting can make things worse IMO if the person doing it is a fuckwit, like the ranger i looked at today that had many bits that were missed, got blasted but not painted, or the worst part, all 4 adustable OME shocks had had a tickle up on the chrome shafts with sandblasting....

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

If I buy a trailer that’s had its license plates lost, do I need to re-register it? What’s the bureaucracy costs involved with that? 

I’ll get it up to wof standards, shouldn’t be too much drama 

and is it cheep to insure a trailer? 

I’ve read the Nzta pages but you know they’re not very helpful. 

Anyone in Christchurch help me with where and how to vin a 1981/2 Suzuki bike that they sold new as a dual purpose bike?

I understand about getting a JP declaration of ownership, and brake measurement etc but do i need some sort of confirmation they were sold? I found there is 1 other that has live rego