re-registering a vehicle

pies

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old post but thought i would reply incase it helps anyone else.

When i last checked you could buy the personalised plate with the same letters/numbers as your os plates and just put your original black os plates on the car legitimately.

The car I'm getting's plates aren't even coming up on VTNZ system, so I have to get a whole bunch of documentation (previous ownership papers and all manner of other evidence) as proof that it was registered on the road in NZ.

The slightly more disturbing part is that despite it not coming up on VTNZ's system, plates.co.nz also notes that the plate is unavailable. :?

So, although I was hoping to retain the original 60's black plates, I might not have a choice. :cry: Which would just mean it would be personalised plate time, I guess.

Old post but thought i would reply incase it helps anyone else.

When i last checked you could buy the personalised plate with the same letters/numbers as your os plates and just put your original black os plates on the car legitimately.

The car I'm getting's plates aren't even coming up on VTNZ system, so I have to get a whole bunch of documentation (previous ownership papers and all manner of other evidence) as proof that it was registered on the road in NZ.

The slightly more disturbing part is that despite it not coming up on VTNZ's system, plates.co.nz also notes that the plate is unavailable. :?

So, although I was hoping to retain the original 60's black plates, I might not have a choice. :cry: Which would just mean it would be personalised plate time, I guess.

Doesn't help in my case. The plates aren't available to purchase from plates.co.nz yet they don't show up on VTNZ as being on a vehicle so changes are they've been bought as investment plates, sadly.

I guess electronically mail, most people on the phone are sales types hence don't know shit about the system

I know a guy who go his black plate as a personal, had the same thing wasn't on the website. Got in contact with some guy in there who knew what was up and sorted it out. May have had to formally write in can't remember, but he got it

Big ups to you Mr. S. Shaw of Hamilton.

Response from plates came as such;

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your email.

In order to have the plate you will have to purchase them as a Personalised Plate. This will be $799 including GST, manufacture and delivery.

There is no time limit to have these Plates manufactured once you have purchased the rights to them. Just hold onto the paperwork until you are ready to have the car back on the road.

Kind regards

Melanie Wilkins

Personalised Plates Ltd

Correspondence has been entered into and I'm organizing the finer details now 8)

Sweetbix, that might help other peeps too. Weird that previous attempts to uncover such information went nowhere but no point dwelling on that unless of she's wrong and there's a hiccup further on. :lol:

sounds like a generic response tho.

i.e. if you want a personalised plate you do this and it costs this

rather than ohai - i see you are after a personalised plate in order to run your ogplate. mean bro, that plate is free and it will cost this to get it

have read two posts in this discussion, but if it comes up as free on the plates.co.nz site then it should be sweet, if it doesnt then it should be on the system. im geussing both of these you have tried, im also geussing that the one on plates.co.nz was free. therefore im adding nothing to this conversation but ive already typed this paagraph so im gonna post it

edit, yea hard looks like generic response, if you'd said to them you wanted XXXXXX plate they'd just be like oh lush etc. sale, unless i geuss they have someone that deals with VTNZ in freeing up plates thathave been deregd

• 5 months later...
Is there any where in NZ that still makes the original black and silver plates?

Not to my knowledge man, especially given that if you still had them when the new plates came in you were asked to change to the new plates. Of course, fuckall people did, yuck ass new plates. However even making your new plates black and silver as the old ones were is illegal. I believe the only legal use of black and silver plates is the genuine issue still in the system variety.

Hey micheal, did you get anywhere further with this?

Yeah, kind of. They offered a price to purchase the plates/lay-by/whatever. But fuck me personalised plates are expensive nowadays. Given that I only want the number of my plate in my name and not physically the plates themselves. It's just something I'm not willing to spend on, at the moment. Maybe once the 110 is finished I'll go ahead with it.

cool- thats what i'll do then! snad the buggers down.

Or get some old plates from someone and buy personalised ones with the same number...but then that costs heaps that way....

There must be someone out there with the old plates stamping machine ?

You can get silver on black background plates made to order from germany... apparently like $60... a mate had some on his MGB roadster... the lettering is a different font to oldschool NZ plates but look pretty sweet... not legal but most police and WOF guys would probably turn a cheek to it as long as you don't sport a flat peak cap and trousers that show more than 5mm of undergarment...

I'm definitely a 4mm of under garment bloke. Trousers around the knees I DO NOT UNDERSTAND...

maybe we all chip in together on this here forum and buy a plate press?

Or there must be someone on here has access to a CNC mill (and some spare time...) to whip up some stamps and dies. Then I could use the 40 tonne press where i did my trade yonks ago.:D