re-registering a vehicle

pies

guys this isn't the place to ask for dodgy tags to swap over onto your dereg shells, this is a public forum and anyone (cops included) could be reading this.

Because the car is pre 1991 it wont be a super-harsh check, but it will be more tougher than your average WOF. Just make sure things like suspension bushes, brake hoses, brake pads, disc rotors and drums are all in good nick. Also make sure your (very extensive) rust repairs are not noticible (ie covered by a new coat of paint I hope).

You also must prove the car is of no interest to the police, and that it has been registered in NZ previously (or if a 20+ year old import, it needs dereg papers from originating country).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

when i re- reg'd my old chevette i had to take to local wof station- a standard test. Then deemed safe i was allowed to drive it from blenheim to nelson with no plates. Got a cert (peter?) for mod's on the way and then at nelson vtnz place they gave it a more thorough test. They were happy to be looking at a nice old car for change. It passed easy and then i got new vin and nice new plates.

Is there a age limit for personal imports into nz? I heard its hard to import anything newer than 92?

I'm guessing my 3 would be ok as its an oldy and a classic? Can you import lhd cars?

I have a similar problem. Have got a Capri project car that came with some live plates and papers but the VIN tag is missing. Someone asked the question before regarding having a new plate stamped as I don't want to have to go through the hassle and expensive of having the car re-vinned.

Already spending enough blinkin' money getting it back on the road! :evil:

old cars dont have a vin

see if you can find a number stamped into the firewall, or more likley the radiator/bonnet catch panel

Hi, Thanks for your reply, the ownership papers have a VIN number listed, which isn't the chassis number. The car was an Aussie import and re-registered in NZ. I have all the info, just not the actual plate. (My current on-road Capri has a VIN plate too since it has been re-registered from "dead".)

Such a major pain the ass if I have to go through all the certification etc.

you could probably just punch the number somewhere in the engine bay without any problems

the morris 1800 we had had them obviously punched by hand into the rad support (numbers were crooked and everything :lol: ) and we never had a problem with wofs.

Thinking about it - it could just have a random number put in the papers, the morrie has that :lol:

A lot of British and Australian steel used to have a little or steel alloy tag in the engine bay sometimes they were stamped/pressed with the numbers, often when stamped the stamps were horrifically shallow and would wear over time along with the paint that indicated fields. Some cars had none at all, some cars used the engine number as their VIN number or vice versa, which is stupid but hey.. that's how it is/was.

A lot of British and Australian steel used to have a little or steel alloy tag in the engine bay sometimes they were stamped/pressed with the numbers, often when stamped the stamps were horrifically shallow and would wear over time along with the paint that indicated fields. Some cars had none at all, some cars used the engine number as their VIN number or vice versa, which is stupid but hey.. that's how it is/was.

The chassis number is still clearly visible in the engine bay, I wonder if I can just get away with stamping a tag with the listed VIN number? Worth a crack, I'd hate to resort to something illegal if it doesn't :twisted: , serve the powers that be right for making it so bloody hard to get perfectly safe vehicles back on the road! :x

• 1 month later...
can a motorbike be re-reged/vinned without old paperwork?

any idea approx cost? semi keen on making old honda 110cc into cafe racer

yes but you need a police thing saying its of no interest and a signed bill of sale (may also need other guys licence details)

• 3 weeks later...

had a call to a cert place and was quoted $278 for a re vin and $256 for plates and then i think rego seperate lets say 12 month $256

thst takes it up to about $790 less any costs of repairs that you would need. But i was told that it can be registered as a modified vehicle as opposed to just normaly but i did not ask about the prices for that.