re-registering a vehicle

pies

The tricky thing is finding something that doesn't scream out of period. You put 60s style belts in a vintage car and it just makes it look like a special. No cars of the era had belts so the only thing that works period wise is something aviation styled. I've emailed Summit to see if the belts do really have that US cert and they didn't know so said ask the manufacturer. I have emailed them (RJS Racing Equipment) and am waiting to hear back. Of course having belts fitted and being able to see/use them are different things if it really comes down to it. 

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I heard back from some of the big makers of belts. Simpson, Racequip, RJS and others. They don't certify their latch and link style belts to FMVSS209 at all so they aren't road rated. They only have racing SFI certs. I don't think anyone cares in the US. They just use them anyway. There are some smaller makers but they don't bother replying to questions on eBay or via their own websites at all. I can get old belts re-webbed locally but they need to have the right certs on them first so that doesn't help in this case. So unfortunately it seems like the more modern aircraft style latches are the only option despite being totally period incorrect.

13 minutes ago, VintageSpecial said:

Well, I heard back from some of the big makers of belts. Simpson, Racequip, RJS and others. They don't certify their latch and link style belts to FMVSS209 at all so they aren't road rated. They only have racing SFI certs. I don't think anyone cares in the US. They just use them anyway. There are some smaller makers but they don't bother replying to questions on eBay or via their own websites at all. I can get old belts re-webbed locally but they need to have the right certs on them first so that doesn't help in this case. So unfortunately it seems like the more modern aircraft style latches are the only option despite being totally period incorrect.

You could get a cert/wof set and a different "off-road' set and swap them around.

Hi All,

I've been scrolling through this topic but looking a a bit of advice from those who have gone before. I bought a de-reg (but still in system as lapsed in 2009) Lada Taiga ute - NZ new modified Niva basically so is a 1990 but first reg in 1995. 

Main question is around rust / corrosion - I'm fortunate that it's spent most of its life in Wanaka so is very sound, just plenty of surface rust. I have stripped and repainted half of the rear chassis (the NZ made half, I haven't touched the monocoque front). I've read that inspectors get iffy when they see new paint and think it's hiding repairs etc. Would it be better to leave it with surface rust to take to the inspection or would that automatically fail? I'll go into VINZ to discuss details but didn't want to paint myself into a corner with it.

Tray is currently off - I presume they wouldn't have a problem with that being stripped and repainted given it's non-structural? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!  Cheers 

155344590_469003027781318_8714753656933022823_n.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1366.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1370.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2069.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Triumphant said:

VINZ to discuss details

each one seems to have there own ideas by the looks of it (havent personally taken one through yet) so best ask the one you intend on using 

im sure some before/during/after photos would be handy though

• Like 2

Yeah, VINZ/VTNZ seem very hit and miss. There are some good ones about they seem harder and harder to find. The only way seems to be recent word of mouth. Recent because when you ask you usually get told talk to this person who says talk to that person and by the time you get some someone who has actually done it who says they used so and so at such and such place you then find out that was 10 years ago and that person is now retired or dead!

That ute is nearly 30 years old (based on a 1995 date) and 30 is the minimum age for a vintage car club eligible vehicle. It might be worth talking to someone from the VCC down there: canterbury@vcc.org.nz Tell them it's a 1990 vehicle though!

Simon

• Like 2

I ran my dereg'd Hilux through VTNZ for a compliance check. I had the chassis recently painted prior to the check, it did have some minor cab damage that had been repaired but was noticeable. The inspector simply requested a structural repair cert for the vehicle to comply.

So I'd recommend not to get to carried away with paint and put it through the check as is

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update to this thread. Work progresses on my Riley. I don't think I mentioned it here but the engine does run which was a major achievement given I started with a pile of bits and totally rebuilt it (new crank, new rods, high compression pistons, etc, etc) . No cooling system yet so I can't test drive it. About to start on the timber frame and body soon.

I spoke to some well known restorers about seatbelts in vintage cars and asked how they do it. The answer was they get them registered with approved belts then swap them later and no one ever notices.

My Austin 7 is in limbo. But I did hear of someone who managed to register a car exactly like mine (Austin 7 factory running gear and new period correct body) following the exact same process I tried and while I got rejected theirs got through fine, no LVVTA cert needed.

The Vintage Car Club does know of issues and are talking with NZTA to get them to try to sort out the mess and the fact that the process is broken and applied inconsistently. That was ongoing (they mention it again in the latest club magazine). Apparently Waka Kotahi said they were too busy to sort out the problem though. Probably even more so now Waka Kotahi are being whacked with the naughty stick again.

Simon

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Got a car that rego is lapsed. Vehicle has not been crashed or deregistered due to damage. 

First registered in 2003. So from my understanding its an entry cert compliance through VTNZ or alike. I can prove that it has previously been registered as found a couple of rego labels and the VIN is able to pull a report in carjam. Have the invoice of purchase with VIN on it so I think document wise that covers it. 

How hard are they on things compared to a WOF? Current plan is new front discs and skim the rear providing they have enough meat on them. Would people go and change brake hoses as a precaution? They look fine in my view.

Car was moved around at Pickapart on a forklift so going to fully assess if there is any damage underneath but have yet to see any. Would like to underseal and clean up but will leave until after the compliance. 

3 Tires have 70% life left but would they want them all replaced? Will replace the worn tire of course.

Do I need new seatbelts or is this a damaged vehicle thing? 

Anything else that people have experienced that could potentially trip me up?

Thanks

Matt

I believe for re-registrations. You need a signed stat dec declaring your ownership. (I haven't actually re-registered something thats just lapsed, I've only done fresh import registrations).
Have a chat to your complaince place of choice, either vinz or vtnz, maybe AA? and tell them what you want to do and they should be able to tell you the papers you need.

As far as the check goes, I think they will require you to do a brake declaration. (I've had to do this for every vehicle I've registered, for both bikes and a cars). You can fill this out yourself and sign it. Basically says "I declare that this is the condition of the brakes". You should budget new pads atleast. Again, ask your compliance place of choice, as they have different style of forms with pretty much the same shit in it. Anything else, I'm pretty sure its just a good old wof check. You've got 20 working days to fix stuff just like a wof.

They could be super picky with rust/underside damage, and if they find any, chances are they will want a repair certification. I haven't needed one of these, but these are $$$.

So best case scenario, it will be an expensive wof.
Worst case, it could be a nightmare. hah. 

Yay for our re registration process! Though I think the most painful hurdle is the paperwork. And the fact its in carjam provides the most important piece - proof of previous registration. Just need to make sure they will be happy with a stat dec declaring yourself as the new owner. I'd def check this with the compliance place you use, as everyone seems to have conflicting requirement. I've been told this is all that's required from my local VTNZ. New import vehicles require different stuff.

• Like 1

Awesome thanks guys, appreciate it! 

Just spoken to a local VTNZ and the receipt with VIN number on it should be sufficient however if not they have a form to use that you can take to a JP.

Edited by Mattwho?
  • Like 1

I'd just get the stat dec signed by a JP anyway. Its easy enough to do and less of a ballache than having to go away and do it later when they suddenly decide they need it. The declaration is to confirm you are the legal owner of the vehicle.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully you don't need it but if they ask for a letter from the Police showing they have no interest in the vehicle (i.e. it's not stolen) they no long give out that information out freely. I had to do an OIA request to get it! And yes, even the Police thought that was stupid but it was the only way.

My advice with the paper work is find a test/compliance place who has done it before and can do it for you. When I tried to do it myself it was a massive run around and I got no where.

Simon

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, VintageSpecial said:

Hopefully you don't need it but if they ask for a letter from the Police showing they have no interest in the vehicle (i.e. it's not stolen) they no long give out that information out freely. I had to do an OIA request to get it! And yes, even the Police thought that was stupid but it was the only way.

My advice with the paper work is find a test/compliance place who has done it before and can do it for you. When I tried to do it myself it was a massive run around and I got no where.

Simon

Since the VIN brings the car up in carjam they should be covered for that as it will say if there is a police interest or not. A print out of carjam was enough for VTNZ when i did it. The issue is when its not in carjam and then its a feck around as you say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kws said:

Since the VIN brings the car up in carjam they should be covered for that as it will say if there is a police interest or not. A print out of carjam was enough for VTNZ when i did it. The issue is when its not in carjam and then its a feck around as you say.

That is very handy to know, thank you! My situation was for a car with no papers at all so slightly different. It's all a bit daft trying to prove no one has an interest in a car which doesn't exist in the system.

Simon

• 7 months later...

Can someone help me with requirements for getting my 1974 TC100 done?

I have original Black plate and Ownership papers with it's details matching the chassis and engine

This model never came with indicators unlike the TS100, will I need them? 

1974SuzukiTC100Lsales.jpg.12a91888f97b866a8ca82175a259c844.jpg

• Like 1