re-registering a vehicle

pies

1 hour ago, datlow said:

Pretty sure it’s still not a wof requirement ?hence all the cars with obstructed plates and vinyl “plates” still getting wofs

/when I put my scooter  back through I didn’t even have the bike nor plate there- found the one welly place that was laxed enough but….

I swear a while ago the cops were ticketing up a storm on what they deemed "modified plates", this ranged even as far as plates that had been bent on the ends or cut to fit inside the smaller available area of 90's Japanese cars.

The law is potentially a big vague there as according to the NZTA now:

Display of number plates

All plates must be fixed securely to the vehicle in an upright position. They must be displayed so that all the characters (numbers and letters) are clearly visible at all times.

A motorcycle, moped, tractor, trailer or trade plate must be fixed on the rear of the vehicle.

All other vehicles require two plates, one at the front and one at the rear.

Number plate offences

Only plates issued by Waka Kotahi are legal, which means you can’t make your own plate. Displaying a non-approved plate or something that could be mistaken for a plate could mean a maximum fine of $5000.

If your vehicle requires plates, then they must be displayed. If your vehicle requires a front and rear plate then they must bear the same set of characters.

Re-issuing number plates
We will review reissuing black, silver and white plates if the following criteria are met:

The plate is the last plate on the vehicle at the time of cancellation ie it hasn’t been replaced by another plate.
The plate is in very good condition and hasn’t been painted, cut or tampered with.
The plate hasn’t been personalised.
The applicant needs to provide official documentation from the period the vehicle was originally registered confirming the plate, make and model, ie the certificate of registration, an insurance policy, a warrant of fitness sticker or repair receipts. Unacceptable documentation is a Statutory Declaration, a handwritten receipt, the Vintage Car Club document or the Alternative document from our office.
If you are reregistering your vehicle and meet the above criteria please email  ReuseOfPlates@nzta.govt.nz

Note: Black and silver style plates cannot be remade. If you’re applying to reuse these plates, you must have the original set.

This email address is not for any other plate query so please email info@nzta.govt.nz in the first instance.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,  bit of an odd one. 

So I've had my car 4.5 years and it's been an off the road project that whole time. I was told the rego was on hold when I bought it. Every year I've been reapplying to keep the rego on hold........ I was then told by someone at work that I shouldn't have to do that. Once it's on hold it's on hold. So I done some investigating. 

Turns out my viva has been registered by a previous owner as an exempt class A (EA) vehicle. That definitely isn't what it is. So I'd like to change it to what it should be. 

What's the process for doing this? I didn't want to just phone nzta and then it turn into a disaster. So any advice on what I should do?

As a bonus question the cars been resprayed (badly) in a different colour. So what's the process for changing that?

I'm not entirely sure I'm in the correct thread for these questions. But it didn't seem worthwhile creating a new topic for them.

As always any help and advice is appreciated 

5 minutes ago, daveyc123 said:

Hi guys,  bit of an odd one. 

So I've had my car 4.5 years and it's been an off the road project that whole time. I was told the rego was on hold when I bought it. Every year I've been reapplying to keep the rego on hold........ I was then told by someone at work that I shouldn't have to do that. Once it's on hold it's on hold. So I done some investigating. 

Turns out my viva has been registered by a previous owner as an exempt class A (EA) vehicle. That definitely isn't what it is. So I'd like to change it to what it should be. 

What's the process for doing this? I didn't want to just phone nzta and then it turn into a disaster. So any advice on what I should do?

As a bonus question the cars been resprayed (badly) in a different colour. So what's the process for changing that?

I'm not entirely sure I'm in the correct thread for these questions. But it didn't seem worthwhile creating a new topic for them.

As always any help and advice is appreciated 

Just for the on hold bit... Don't listen to that guy at work. You have to keep renewing the 'on hold'. If you don't, you will get a bill from NZTA for unpaid rego from the date the hold ended. This happened to me. 

AFAIK, to change the rego class, you just tick a different box on the rego form at your local rego form place vtnz whatever. I have not done this.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Adoom said:

Just for the on hold bit... Don't listen to that guy at work. You have to keep renewing the 'on hold'. If you don't, you will get a bill from NZTA for unpaid rego from the date the hold ended. This happened to me. 

AFAIK, to change the rego class, you just tick a different box on the rego form at your local rego form place vtnz whatever. I have not done this.

Thank you! I assumed it would be simple enough. But didn't want to get stung with unpaid fees or what not.

11 minutes ago, Adoom said:

to change the rego class, you just tick a different box on the rego form at your local rego form place

^This. At least such was the case some years ago when I bought a Falcon that was on "farm" rego. Fairly sure it hasn't changed.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Dudes, I have a Hilux that I brought for parts. It came rego'd but the number plates don't match this vehicle. This truck is clearly an LN65 where as the plates are for a YN67. LN means diesel in old Hilux speak where as YN means petrol. This truck is a diesel and so would have been paying RUC in a former life. The truck has body tag but no VIN tag. I'm guessing the truck is around being a 1984/5 model. The chassis number on the tag matches the number stamped into the frame. Same same deal re the engine number - everything matches just not the rego, lol!

Even though this is a rusty worn out pig, I'm entertaining the idea of maybe making this truck good again given I probably have enough good parts on hand to allow it to happen. I want it legit though. So I guess the first step would be to check if the chassis number equates to anything in the big arse database that Transport NZ maintain? And see the cops also? Advice please.

I want to be sure there is a clear path for the truck to become legit before I start investing in it. Plus I'm scared of RUC shit coming around to bite me in the bum. I don't mind spending money and don't mind some new white plates, but legit-ness and not being liable for previously owed RUC is what is important to me.

This said, if there was a small sum owing and that was all that stood between it becoming legal etc - then I'd probably stump up. But anyway ...

Sounds like someone has just chucked a set of plates off another truck on it. As mentioned, you'd bin the plates and get new ones, but the problem is you would have to do it from VIN/Chassis number, and i'll bet you would find that the original truck has been dereg.

Oh yeah, I thought I read that it came dereg for parts, 

Probably dead in the system, and the truck the plates belong to is probably dead in real life. But chassis number in carjam should bring up the plate and rego status 

Or if you have been sold a truck based on it being live rego and it turns out it's had its plates swapped (and you don't want to keep it for bits) then you have a good case to take court - fraud basically

16 hours ago, tortron said:

check chassis number/body tag on carjam etc ... or go direct to the source

https://www.police.govt.nz/can-you-help-us/stolen-vehicles

Put the chassis number into carjam. Got this. "It appears the vehicle is not in New Zealand yet. CarJam can provide Japan History.

Put the chassis number into the Police link. got this. "Vehicle is currently listed as NOT STOLEN"

When down to the local VTNZ and got nothing from them when they tried the frame number in their system. The lady gave me the Waka Kotahi Road User Charges ph number to see check in with them to see if something comes up as being owed by the vehicle with this chassis number. 

Currently listening to this shit music being played on loop waiting for someone to talk to. 

• Like 1

Spoke to a (very helpful) dude at NZTA. Told him what I was about and he did a search of their database. Result - nothing. Nada showing up connected to the frame number I gave to him. A little bit more info on this truck ... I purchased it as parts from off a farm. It was a mudball on wheels. It'd been there for a fair while I'm guessing. They (the farmer and co) only registered it (farm rego) so that they could use it on the road for cow movement management. I might actually make contact with them again and see what I can dig up. Meanwhile, I've put the truck's rego on hold until I can see a way forward. Back to my conversation with NZTA. He said for instances like it sounded I've found myself in, rectification - be it resurrection of the old ID or issue of a new one all started with one of 'their' agents (understandable) verifying that the vehicle is as its been described - previous ID able to be established/confirmed or not even. I thought I knew how/where the older Lux's carried their ID marks but stand to be schooled. I might carry this line of talk on in the Hilux thread.

A line of thought that entered my head (and I try not to think this way) was that if it all started to feel like the squeeze was not going to be worth the juice - go about things in reverse (sorta) and get the truck certified for a chassis/engine swap due to rust and brokenness. This would line up all the ducks again - or is my thinking screwed.    

• Like 1

I'm currently trying to find the correct paperwork to fill out for a vehicle re registration purpose. 

Old owner de rego'd it and I purchased off him and want a paper trail that I bought it off him. To comply it again. 

I'm aware I can do a statutory of declaration but trying to find a vehicle specific one. But also old owner isn't local so can't just fill one out and get it signed etc 

Been to a local vtnz but they didn't have a clue and told me to ring nzta. 

And checked with a compliance officer and he is going to send me the file which is on nzta apparently. But who knows when

I've searched and can't find any documents on nzta. 

Anyone know what form? 

Does anyone here have any experience with vintage/pre war cars and specials and getting them through the process with no documentation?

It seems you need to go through NZTA and the CA03 exemption process to get permission for a testing place to even look at the car. I have documentation from the VCC that is meant to help but seems NZTA don't know what that is. After sending in my application with documents of authenticity from the VCC, signed and witnesses statements from a JP, photographs, original TradeMe Ad from when the car was bought (over 10 years ago) and a receipt from the seller which unfortunately doesn't have my name on it they replied asking for this:

• Vin/Chassis verification from Key delivery service partner (AA, VINZ or VTNZ)
  • NZ Police vehicle of interest report
  • Document(s) confirming past vehicle history and where it came from
  • Document(s) to support the purchase of the vehicle (Names on handwritten receipt does not match with the applicant name. Therefore we cannot establish connection between the applicant and the seller)
  • Signed & Witnessed statutory declaration confirming vehicle ownership

The first should be covered by the VCC pre VIC form. Otherwise they are saying I need to take it to a compliance place so they can see the chassis number that I can then use to apply for the document that allows the testing place to then look at the car. I think the advice from the first testing place was incorrect saying I had to apply for the CA03 (they emailed me the form and said do that before coming to them) whereas a different testing station I talked to indicated normally they would do that part and it takes 6 weeks normally (so you take the car there, they look at it, send off the forms while you take the car away waiting for permission to take it back I guess?).

NZ Police when I contacted them have no idea what a vehicle of interest report is. The lady was very nice and sympathetic and said all she could do was look up the registration details. The whole point of this exercise is to get the car registered so there are none. She did search on the chassis number and said their system shows nothing but how do you get a report on something they don't have? Car Jam won't work (need plate or VIN) and a chassis number search on the Police stolen car page just says it's not stolen (can't NZTA look that up themselves?).

Past vehicle history, I have none. Just I bought it off TradeMe and the chap I bought it off had it as a project for years. I do have a single screen shot of the original ad. That's all. TradeMe history doesn't go back 10 years. I don't have emails going back that far (well, I do but not that exact period).

I can't contact the original seller for the reasons above, assuming he is even still about.

I have and provided a signed and witnessed (by a JP) document the VCC provide (Statutory Declaration for a motor vehicle that has limited documentation available) which circularly references in the fine print other documents including the CA03 (the one I need this to apply for) I am trying to apply for and which mentions in the fine print Vehicle of Interest Inquiry to NZ Police (some Police Stations still provide this).

The only real contact number for the Police these days is 105 and all she could suggest is visit local Police Stations to find one that knows what that vehicle of interest report is! She said can't the VCC help?

Apparently not, officially they claim to be recognised as the historic vehicle authority in NZ. Unofficially the word is yes, it's a bureaucratic mess. Also if you go through them (the VCC) they are obliged to say if the body is modified and then the car has to go through the LVVTA process. The advice there apparently is you just have to find a sympathetic certifier who understand vintage cars. That is not easy as the whole system is geared mainly around Hot Rods (the manual is basically written for Hot Rods or scratch built/modified modern cars). Because the VCC don't specify what needs LVVTA cert on their forms it's up to the certifier. If they decide it's scratch built you can't really built a period correct vintage car to the rules as scratch builds have to follow ALL the rules in the manual then. And I believe even the hot rodders are finding the process difficult now?  

The other issue is the VCC won't give you the documents (which aren't seeming to be much help now it seems anyway) until the car is basically finished and complete where the LVVTA certifiers typically seem to want to see them while being built.

Anyone have any experience with the process recently or know of a sympathetic testing station or certifier who knows about vintage cars and not just hot rods and can help? The cars we build are typically completely original running gear/engine/chassis etc just with a new, period style body. They aren't hot rods. Anywhere in NZ is fine, seems we haven't many options. 

I am not the only person in this situation and we are banding together but everyone gets told a different story has a different experience. What worked for one person at one place doesn't work for someone else a year later.

And this is all for a lowly Austin 7, they don't have a lot of value. I am currently building a second car of a different make which will have far more value but it seems I will never be able to register it here so I imagine when done I will sell it overseas and find a new hobby!

Sorry for the long post, as I say everyone has a different story it seems so it's best to lay it all out.

Thanks!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Piazzanoob

Piazzanoob, is the form you mean the CA03 Alternative Documents form? It is this one here: https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/resources/content/alt-docs

It's for vehicles with no history basically.

When I talked to one testing station they told me I needed to have that done first before they could even look at the car. But it seems other testing places will do it on your behalf if you take the car to them first. It basically seems to get the vehicle into the system enough that you can then start the VINing process.

Am going though that at the moment with my pre war car and they do want various documents. My statutory declaration came from the VCC (vintage car club) and I had to have it witnessed by a JP. A 1984 car is eligible as a VCC vehicle. They accept anything older than 30 years. Can't say their forms have been much help yet though as I am still going through the process of talking to NZTA.

Simon

• Like 1

7 hours ago, piazzanoob said:

I'm currently trying to find the correct paperwork to fill out for a vehicle re registration purpose. 

Old owner de rego'd it and I purchased off him and want a paper trail that I bought it off him. To comply it again. 

I'm aware I can do a statutory of declaration but trying to find a vehicle specific one. But also old owner isn't local so can't just fill one out and get it signed etc 

Been to a local vtnz but they didn't have a clue and told me to ring nzta. 

And checked with a compliance officer and he is going to send me the file which is on nzta apparently. But who knows when

I've searched and can't find any documents on nzta. 

Anyone know what form? 

I used this form when I re-rego'd my Mini, https://tasteslikepetrol.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Statutory-declaration-final-1.pdf Just tweak the details as needed, but its a very token gesture as the JP I got to sign it didnt even read it :lol:

In terms of other paperwork, as it had plates and came up in Carjam I printed a copy of Carjam off showing it wasnt reported stolen (not even a report, just the main screen); I also provided a basic purchase agreement signed by the seller, and a copy of the trademe listing. Basically just a paper trail of how I came to obtain the car, and that I am now the owner of it. 

There is a bit more detail on the process on my site, if it helps, https://tasteslikepetrol.net/2018/11/project-snicket-re-registration/

VTNZ have a stat Dec form on their server, its file VTTE010

IMG_20211007_074013.thumb.jpg.6ee7b7606450dfa705efa918e4ea8dea.jpg

Anything that says I do solemnly swear on it is legal as per nzta guidelines

I just go get vtnz to print them out for me cos I ain't paying for printer ink 

No need to have the previous owner sign it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1