• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, tortron said:

another 80's prelude

21 minutes ago, Bling said:

Which car are you talking about revinning?

Yep pretty much swapping over my good parts from the one I currently have - rusty, reg on hold shell - to one that has a good rust free body but say an engine with a dead cylinder.

Identical cars with minor differences such as colour, facelift/Pre-facelift etc

Oh yeah you can swap mechanically identical parts no worries. Just confused me as you were talking about the rusty one being on hold, so I thought you were going to keep the plates or something. If it's basically a parts car for your good one, then thats basically all oldschool cars. Not much is kept original when a car has been around the clock a few times. At a certain age, the revin is easier as it's more of a strict WOF check. For newer cars, they get pulled to bits a bit more. Like I say though, not sure what the cut off is. Any company like VTNZ (If they do revins) will let you know the cutoff date for that.

If the engine is flagged, which i'm not sure they care or not. Just explain the old one shat the bed and so you replaced it with a donor engine the same.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 87creepin said:

A tough wof = more picky on things such as suspension/brakes? 

Compliance inspection = removal of interior panels, bumpers etc to check for rust?

Thats the one. They'll still cut you down if the car is rusty, but wont go ripping things to bits to hunt it out unless they have a reason to. They will also make it harder for you if the car was de-reg due to being written off instead of just lapsing.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

@azzurro Heaps of good info in here for re-rego. Having the plate does help, but it pre-dates carjam so you will need to ask NZTA nicely for more details and see if its in the system. If it is, you should be golden to follow the guides here, if not, you'll need to see what they say. Since its not on carjam you might need proof from the Police that its not stolen.

Mostly just need proof of sale (Trademe listing and a sale agreement from the seller should be enough) and a statutory declaration to declare you are the rightful owner.

I wrote I guide here, https://tasteslikepetrol.net/2018/11/project-snicket-re-registration/ , when I did the process for my Mini.

• Like 1

police dont sign anything saying somethings not stolen anymore, liability

stat declaration seems all the rage

DR200 was in the system and had a vin plate but dead for 20 years and missing number plate. my experience in march was

bring in bike

bring in statutory declaration (with the guy i got it froms name and address even tho not last reg owner)

pay registration check

pay rego and pay wof

That easy

No brake declaration is needed if first rego in nz prior to 1990, surprised you had to do that kws. for a motorcycle at least its easy to do yourself, you just download the form off the ltsa site and measure rotor thickness and drum diameter and check off that its within spec. The requirements are - done by a competent person, so lucky i didnt have to do it

• Like 1

Bikes are a bit different though, yeah?

The write up I did is exactly what I needed to get a 1980 car through the process two years ago. It was lapsed, but had plates and was on carjam, ideal scenario really. 

It's also not just a case of bringing "what's needed", it's more a case of cover all bases and bring everything you can to make it easier. You might get away with not supplying a brake declaration (I couldn't), but it's much easier to just do it. Always better to supply too much information than not enough. 

Theres no separate legislation* for bikes they just get lumped under the car virm

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/entry-certification/i-and-c/brakes/inspection-specifications

you had to provide the brake declaration because you failed the brake test and had to 'repair' them

The carjam data with vin, rego etc is taken from the same database that vtnz checks when identifying the vehicle

There is a clearly defined list of paperwork that is needed

*post 1990 the brakes dont get taken apart by the inspector because they are scared of breaking them so you can have them taken apart and inspected by a known shop

here is the information @azzurrothat is useful to you, i went through all the available info looking at a different vehicle earlier this year as well

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/entry-certification/i-and-c/required-documentation-and-registration/re-registering-a-vehicle

you may get sent to the assessments team if they think its sus. so this is actually a time where having more is better. Looked like a fire service sticker on it, may have been owned by a firestation once?

1.1 Proof of previous New Zealand registration unavailable

In cases where the vehicle owner is not able to provide a certificate of registration or LANDATA record to verify that the vehicle was previously registered in New Zealand:

The vehicle owner must provide satisfactory evidence of previous registration in New Zealand, such as:

• photographs of the complete vehicle
  • receipts for insurance, repairs, periodic in-service inspections (WoFs), etc
  • manufacturers’, importers’ or dealers’ records that show the vehicle was originally imported or manufactured in New Zealand
  • written anecdotal vehicle history from previous owners. This must be considered with caution; a statement that someone recognises the vehicle is not sufficient.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this has been passed on though many hands since it was last regoed, and has no papers at all. Manufacturer/importer/dealers are all long out of business.

I will only have the trademe ad and a statutory declaration, some photos along with  the plates and a very faint old style rego sticker ghost on the windscreen.

Not even sure of the chassis number yet!

I think the Fire stickers are probably an ex volunteer owners additions  rather than this being a Fire vehicle - maybe some laughable last line of defence on some industrial site?

you will need the sellers name and address for the stat declaration, i just went to the local vtnz and got them to print me one of theirs out (on their dime)

Take lots of photos of the rusty screws holding the numberplates on, old dealer stickers etc

you at least have the old plates still attached and probably a chassis number which is great, for further 'proof' you could try for example the local fiat barry club and get a letterhead from them stating what range of chassis numbers were imported

as Ky said in the other thread, there is actually a backroom of data not available through the carjam source that they can go look through, but they may say hey thats gona cost you $$$$ per hour, from what i have heard it seems like they are just trying to put you off and they dig it up pretty quick

(there were morris minor fire vehicles, at least a van could haul some dudes eh)

Get a declaration to use the old black plate before revin too, cheers

• Like 3

ALT documents form, to be used when no proof of previous NZ rego available

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/32876/Alternative-documents-form.pdf

From motorcycles being rereg with zero paperwork and no plates

download the form from NZTA website. Form CA03 Alternative documents form. You need to fill this out. Attach photos of any numbers on the bike and any receipts for purchase. I have the Trademe records. Write a story about the bike and what has happened. Include a statutory declaration that you are telling the truth, the whole truth etc, get that all witnessed by a JP. Then pay NZTA $184 application fee and send the lot to Wellington and wait. Compliance and registration then follows 

When I rereg vehicles I just go to the courthouse and fill out a statutory declaration form stating I am the legal owner of the vehicle with chassis number xxxx and then the jp stamps it, dont need any thing to do with the old owner 

• Like 2

had to  revin our kingswood due to dodgy  plate/ tag mismatch  from 97,  we have owned the car for 5 years, VTAC were happy for me to  do  a declaration  with a JP that  i own the car, all proof/docs i had was relating to  the plates that didnt match the cars chassis/vin number, VTAC had sighted the car 1st tho 

20 minutes ago, M.H. said:

When I rereg vehicles I just go to the courthouse and fill out a statutory declaration form stating I am the legal owner of the vehicle with chassis number xxxx and then the jp stamps it, dont need any thing to do with the old owner 

That's on the vtnz form. 

If you make up your own all it needs is the statement that you solemnly swear the vehicle is legally yours, then your details and the vehicles details