re-registering a vehicle

pies

Tony Lynch of Lynchbuilt replied to my email saying he did build the cars including this one based on the spec and he has offered his help which is awesome but for the paper work he suggested trying to find Stephen Fleming who was the owner of the rights in NZ. He took care of the paper work. Tony hasn't been in contact for many years.

Some googling and the only accountant Stephen Fleming I can find was in a Stuff article about some IRD trouble. His age and location in the article fits... and I've found a bunch of companies under his name all in the same area that the Stuff article says, but no email or phone contact.

I could send a letter...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 07/02/2008 at 11:25, pies said:

If you have no papers you need to pick up a statutory declaration form from VTNZ or here

http://www.justice.govt.nz/tribunals/trans-tasman-occupations-tribunal/documents/TTO%200609%202.pdf

this thread is of interest to me

though the link in the OP is dead, is this still a requirement or is there a new source

On 12/10/2018 at 20:04, kws said:

I can also now confirm that this information was sufficient for VTNZ. They would prefer you used one of their special Stat Dec forms, but saw no reason they couldn't accept the generic one signed by a JP (yes, that's how they said it, "couldn't see why not" :?). They didn't specifically need anything but the Stat Dec and printout from NZTA about the black plates.

Also see the post I quoted in this post, in the original post. Lol. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey y'all. 

Hypothetically, is there any way to reverse a lapsed registration? I'm pretty sure the car in question fell off hold in May 2017 and the owner didn't realise until it went for a WOF the other day. 

I've heard there's a form you can fill out to reverse the cancelation process, is this true? 

Asking for a friend. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

They can put it back in the system. 

I bought a car for parts (with rego on hold) and when it arrived I decided it was too good so a couple of weeks later I go to get it a wof and told its been dereg, wtf I thought, called up ltsa about it and the previous owner dereg it after I bought it so ltsa reinstated it with a few clicks while I was on the phone to them. If only it was that easy to rereg a car thats just fallen out of the system

• Like 4

It's possible under certain circumstances - a friend of mine took her Civic Shuttle in for a WOF only to find it had been de-registered for a few months. Turns out someone had deregistered there car somewhere else in the country but accidentally put her plate number down. Of course, no checks were done and they de-registered the wrong car. At first NZTA told her she had to eat the costs and hassle to re-register, and would lose the cool black plates. I think it was after calling up numerous times and crying over the phone that they eventually were convinced to reverse the process.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2019 at 09:48, Truenotch said:

Hey y'all. 

Hypothetically, is there any way to reverse a lapsed registration? I'm pretty sure the car in question fell off hold in May 2017 and the owner didn't realise until it went for a WOF the other day. 

I've heard there's a form you can fill out to reverse the cancelation process, is this true? 

Asking for a friend. 

2+ years might be a stretch though.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...

What sort of price would I be looking at to put a car on a chassis jig to see if its straight?

If it is straight will I still need a repair cert to get it back on the road. Price?

I've bought a p6 and its flagged in the system for a hit in left front (or similar)but cant find any evidence of this or repairs?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Here's a curly one,

I've just managed to register a project Hilux that was brought deregisted.

Knowing at the time there were outstanding RUCs owing. But my investigations at the time led me to believe after a vehicle is deregd that any RUCs would be voided.

So at the time of getting it legal, passing revin, new plates etc and even purchasing RUCs going off the kms on the dash. I've recently been sent a $400 bill for the outstanding RUCs that were owed when the rego lapsed.

What's the go with this? Anyone else struck a similar debacle?

Thanks

51 minutes ago, igor said:

Shouldn't the outstanding ruc be the responsibility of the previous owner in that scenario same as outstanding licence fees would be if you had purchased with an expired but not dead or on hold rego?

Yet another pointless comment.  Thanks for nothing, lingor.

@hood

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licensing-rego/road-user-charges/about-ruc/

It's owner's responsibility but it's got extra issues in that whilst you may have to pay the cost of the RUC, the PO can be ticketed/pay as well.

Before buying a diesel vehicle

Make sure the vehicle has a current RUC licence. If you do buy a vehicle without a current RUC licence you will become liable for any unlicensed distance if the licence isn’t current.

Call us to check the licence is current

It is an offence for a person to sell a vehicle without a current RUC licence.

Download Factsheet 38: Road user charges for light vehicles [PDF, 185 KB]

• 1 month later...

Hey guys i read about 7 pages but just want some confirmation about my issues

I have a 1987 prelude I'm parting out. It's rusty af. Auto, reg on hold. Say if I get rid of it, find one that's less rusty but say needs a new engine could I swap my better ish engine in and go for a re vin with little to worry about? 

Do they remove fenders, wiper cowl, weatherstrips, trim, bumpers etc to check for rust? 

I've been told that they do, and it costs $600 to go through this process - but my source is unreliable so I'm here as old-school is pretty credible! Thanks