re-registering a vehicle

pies

5 minutes ago, locost_bryan said:

You might have to contact the NZTA and pay for a search of the chassis number.

Yeah, that's not going to help with this wagon because the tags have been swapped so there is no way of knowing the original chassis number because they are not stamped on the chassis or anything. The old chassis number was lost when the old tags were removed

Just now, ajg193 said:

I think it has to be live rego + current wof for it to be on the list

Yes, it does. So it is really hand for seeing how many of a car is left on the road. But not for trying to track down this wagons original plate.

Next week I am going to format this database so I can make a little chart of how many Avengers and what makes and models are left on the road. Exciting stuff!!

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Avenga said:

Yeah, that's not going to help with this wagon because the tags have been swapped so there is no way of knowing the original chassis number because they are not stamped on the chassis or anything. The old chassis number was lost when the old tags were removed

Sorry, meant to say search the engine number, not chassis number.  If you're lucky and it has the original engine, and the number was recorded correctly...

• 4 weeks later...

morning,

I've been trying to get in touch with Tania.Taite@nzta.govt.nz to sort out re-registering my coupe with its original black plates and it appears she is no longer there.

I've got no response from anyone at all. 

anyone got contact details for the person to talk to now? 

3 hours ago, sheepers said:

gay, so thats a 6 week process then.

used to take a couple of days. 

B7885ACB-D809-4F15-AC58-303A88B8E381.png

took 2 weeks for my scooter plates (pretty sure thats standard for others too)

just found the auto reply it said 10 day (working i guess) turn around, if your query is urgent phone 0800 366 988 ext 8364 which the confirmation email from tania taite had that as her phone number

• Like 2

On 30/04/2019 at 10:43, datlow said:

B7885ACB-D809-4F15-AC58-303A88B8E381.png

took 2 weeks for my scooter plates (pretty sure thats standard for others too)

just found the auto reply it said 10 day (working i guess) turn around, if your query is urgent phone 0800 366 988 ext 8364 which the confirmation email from tania taite had that as her phone number

So is the reuseofplates@nzta.govt.nz different to the $184 per hour 'alternative documents' form?

I have that Purvis Eureka which I knew full well would be a nightmare to register, but I bought it anyway because there is something wrong with me I guess.

Previous owner got it with a bunch of wrecks on the big section he bought, so no details, the guy before was not the owner either and got it as is.

The black plates are not on carjam and NZTA couldn't find the chassis number either, even her supervisor tried looking on some other database but still nothing. She suggested the 'alternative documents form' after asking a bunch of questions.

LVVTA couldn't find it on their declaration database either.

It's kind of fun digging into it, but I hope I can get it done without needing to go through a scratch built cert. 

All I have is the black plates which look like they have been on it for 40 years and the VW Beetle chassis number I found under the soggy carpet. This tells me its a 1968 Beetle chassis, but again nothing comes up.

I think its a 1977-1979 which is when they were built in Auckland, apparently they were later built in Blenheim again for a few years in the late 80's.

There is a parking sticker for 'Wellington Hospital 1980-1983' on the very sun damaged lexan(?) side window.

No windscreen so no ID stickers there either.

I reckon it had a minor accident and the non-laminated windscreen went everywhere, couldn't replace it and parked it for 30+ years. And then 30 years later here I am with a cut finger and clearing out that same glass.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

As long as it doesn't go straight to the spam folder, there's a good chance someone will know something or someone who does - I got curious about the dealership that sold my Golf in South Africa.  The dealership still exists, the saleswoman had retired not long ago but the receptionist forwarded my email on to her and we had email sharns as she remembered the original owners and was pleasantly surprised to hear they were still alive and well here on the other side of the world and in their nineties.

• Like 9

18 hours ago, ~Slideways~ said:

Well didn’t expect that... the manager of the HR department replied and said he is the editor for the Constructors Car Club so he might be able to help. He doesn’t know the car but said someone in the club might be interested in digging into its history.

Also when I got it, it was wet inside (metal floor is solid though) and when I started pulling out the carpet I found an old newspaper. Too brown and soggy to read but I left it to dry and I can now open the pages. It’s a local paper taking about Petone rent and Kelson stuff with some ads for ‘new’ Honda’s from 1983 then I found the date and it’s definitely a paper from that year. With the glass still being all through it, it seems like it hasn’t been touched for 35 years!

Cool! I think this is 1 of only 7 built by Lynchbuilt in 1977ish, they only built 5 with the crossflow ford option and 2 with Rotary's. One technically the 8th was a demonstrator built in Aus and shipped here then converted to Rotary as a demonstrator for the cars that would be built here with either rotary or ford power. That car is now in Wellington.

They made 7 turn key cars for already made orders before deciding it wouldn't be viable to build at their true cost, the accountants that got the rights to build them in NZ didn't get the figures right before taking orders.

So I guess that makes it 1 of 5? Cool.

• Like 5