re-registering a vehicle

pies

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they don't care if it's the last registered owner. I bought my landrover off a guy who bought it off the tauranga port who sold it as an abandoned vehicle. 

I used the guy who I bought it from's details on my stat declaration. He wasn't the last registered owner. Nobody even asked what the vehicles story was.

get one of your mates to put their name, and phone number on a letter. sign it and fill out the stat declaration form, take it to a JP for verification. boom sorted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolan said:

registered owner

not having a go at Cam here but this twigged by berries and is relevant to this thread and NZ motoring in general

Fair-Go have covered it a few times & the point is "Registration does not imply ownership"

odd aye!?!?

as per previous page & suggestions you need receipts for a car & the rego owner (as Cam says) is pretty irrelevant & it's because of this point

Kiwi's do generally use the Rego system as "ownership papers" because its the best we got & is fairly logical to use it as such but yeah Rego =/= Owner

they are simply the entity responsible for the Fee's for the right to drive on NZ's public roads, but are usually at the owners address

/lingor

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bling said:

Registration is the ONLY thing we have, not the best thing. I've never, ever had anything else that states a car is mine. Being the "registered person" for a vehicle is as good as you're ever going to get in NZ.

The problem is that anyone can register a car into their name and all they need is the p;late number to do that. So by that logic people could register a car in their name, then claim that they own it. I think this is how Fair Go looked at is as Joker mentioned earlier. 

Here's the guff from the NZTA website: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/how-the-motor-vehicle-register-affects-you/your-responsibilities-as-the-registered-person/

• Thanks 1

Oh yeah that's 100% possible. As far as I'm away there is no system that tracks actual owners of cars though. Bit of a missing database IMO. The fact someone can change registration of a car with zero checking from current registered owner is a fail. At the minimum they should have to confirm the change is correct.

I changed registration for a car a couple weeks ago into my name. I don't actually know the previous "owner". 

• Like 2

Long yarn but...

My sister , yes she was a con artist back in the day lol , note was invercargill

The scam used be fake id or someone elses identity then go to car lot with a  shitty car and trade with newer car , then go to next car sales etc .

4 or five yards later ya rolling in a new beamer  , pay the money and change into fake id name ,or ya own then alple for  a loan in ya name or somone else  , change name back into car sale name and result.

Made 600k in 3 weeks before she got stung , money disappeared and only got 300 hrs community service id call that a win.

Didn't even get reparation wtf

• Sad 3

On 8/24/2018 at 10:36, ta63-1uzze said:

hay guys, so i have read through  some of this , and it does make me a little worried . . . 

so story is i bought a car about 15 months ago. was only going to be a track hack, but have found its in better condition that i originally thought. so i have decided to go down the track of looking to getting it re registered.  Now i have no idea who the guy was i got it off, i didn't get any form of paper work from him, i don't know if he was the last registered owner, and hes moved and i cant find him , i have tried every avenue i can think off with no luck . 

i have the chassis code and the original license plate details. on the police web page search under stolen vehicles it comes up as not stolen. and on car jam it has the details of the car, vague details but they are in there. so this is good as i can prove it was registered in nz (yay) . but i am no where closer to proving ownership?? 

i just called the police station and asked about getting a "of no interest statement"  , they told me that they don't do that and i have to "go look at car jam , or something " . ?!! 

i'm not sure what i have to do next. can someone please give me some advice on what my best plan of attack is , thanks 

Firstly, you need to see a vehicle inspector at a compliance centre, and get them to give you a list of what's required, and I think there are some forms to be completed. Once you have this, then you can determine what you need to obtain, which I think also includes a security interest check, to ensure there are no hooks in it.

http://www.ppsr.govt.nz/cms/searching-the-ppsr/search-the-website/motor-vehicle-search

Also if the car is worth complying for re registration, as if it's previously been stacked or other structural repairs, you maybe opening a can of worms.  If the car isn't of collectable value then the cost may not be worth the effort.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The old Barry at VINZ that the receptionist threw onto the phone was also adamant that there was no difference in the process for pre and post 1991 cars, despite NZTA making it clear there is (and VTNZ confirming they abide by that also, with a lower cost (sub $300) and less invasive inspection for pre-91 cars). I would avoid VINZ Lower Hutt like the plague if youre looking to re-rego a classic car.

• Like 3

I've had 100% success at vtnz.. always been reasonable to deal with

Re: carjam, the guy at vtnz wasn't interested in proof of engine size on carjam, had to get a letter from Mazda confirming it.. he reckoned anyone can modify carjam which I thought was an odd thing to say...

On 24/09/2018 at 14:39, kws said:

Slowly working on getting the Mini registered. Been calling around, and have determined the vtnz is the way to go, and Vinz are rip off cunts.

Vinz trying to charge twice as much as vtnz, and take twice as long. 

100% opposite down south. VTNZ were cunts and the VINZ joker was mint to deal with. Was just a good wof check for me, which is all a rerego is supposed to be (a side from the extra admin side of things).

Vtnz basically said that if the car wasn't completely restored minter then it would be a fail. What's the difference their names only going to be on it for 6 months lol.

Regarding chassis and bodywork repairs.

Vinz In Nelson are really nice and friendly to deal with.  Deon (who's made into classics and vintage cars) who works there and does the compliance on all cars has seen through heaps of my entry rectification work and repairs on both old and new cars and bases his opinion on how tidy and well completed the repairs are along with photos I take of process.  Not on whether I have a welding ticket or not.

VTNZ on Pascoe street in Nelson are good too. Same goes- if you're known locally to do good work and they have clear photos of the process then they are fine.

VTNZ in Blenheim seem like a really nice bunch too- easy to chat to and get advice.

So I figure from this that it really does depend so much on attitudes alone in many of these places. I can only imagine the amount of plonkers they have to deal with on a daily basis...maybe some of the old barrys who work at these places are just stressed and need to retire.

Question re Seatbelts.

Am going to be looking towards putting a car from 1925 back on the road when I finish doing a bit of work to it.

Factory didn’t have seat belts. Is this something that because of the age of the vechile itl not be an issue? Or do I need to approach VCC for appropriate info to prove the fact?

-have never been through any of these processes before. I do have the old black plates for it, heaps of photos of the car showing plates from back in the day. Rego lapsed a long time ago,  and the current owner of its owned it for probably over 60 years. Had been partially restored but that was halted about 15? Years ago and it’s beem sitting in the garage since. Is pretty much stock and complete.

any advice on the process would be great.

Cheers

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Shakotom said:

Question re Seatbelts.

Am going to be looking towards putting a car from 1925 back on the road when I finish doing a bit of work to it.

Factory didn’t have seat belts. Is this something that because of the age of the vechile itl not be an issue? Or do I need to approach VCC for appropriate info to prove the fact?

-have never been through any of these processes before. I do have the old black plates for it, heaps of photos of the car showing plates from back in the day. Rego lapsed a long time ago,  and the current owner of its owned it for probably over 60 years. Had been partially restored but that was halted about 15? Years ago and it’s beem sitting in the garage since. Is pretty much stock and complete.

any advice on the process would be great.

Cheers

Dispensation due to no practical way of installing them. Also was first registered in NZ prior to 50s so again not required

Plain sailing mate (out of the car and to safety in the event of a crash)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Right, so I took the Mini in for a re-rego check on Wednesday at VTNZ. The car was ready for pickup today, Friday. 

Cost was $229 and the inspection was a strict WOF inspection. My car has failed on a few things, but i have 20 working days for a recheck. The recheck MUST be booked in first. If you miss that deadline, you must pay again and have a full inspection again. Any brake work needs to be signed off on the included declaration, with receipts, but they are happy for me to do the work and fill it out myself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1