re-registering a vehicle

pies

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a vehicle pre 1989 its like a through WOF. For compliance they'll see that fab work has been done and ask for a repair cert which might a bit hard to get if you're not a ticketed welder. Best talk to the place doing the compliance before starting as they have the last say. 

1 hour ago, Carsnz123 said:

might a bit hard to get if you're not a ticketed welder. 

Do they really care about welding tickets? We aren't talking high pressure pipelines, and there is more to a good repair than nice welding.

It's not a requirement for scratch build/ LVVTA cert even.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Do they really care about welding tickets? We aren't talking high pressure pipelines, and there is more to a good repair than nice welding.

It's not a requirement for scratch build/ LVVTA cert even.

I had my asme 9 6G in tig (high pressure all position tig welding of pipe) and this cock wof inspector still told me I couldn't tig in a new piece of steel the size of a 20c coin.

I did the patch and took it to a different wof place who didn't know there had been a hole- paying for the wof again was cheaper than dealing with any more bullshit.

I am sure that what it says in the books is that welding on a vehicle should be performed by a "competent" welder. Pretty easy to look at a panel steel weld and see if its done by someone with a clue or not.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Interesting. Maybe theyre busy or something?

I still havent got around to taking the Mini in. Main problem is getting to a JP to sign the declaration thing, and actually booking the car in. Apparently despite it basically being a WOF, they want the car for the day, and that means getting it to lower hutt, from upper hutt, and leaving it there. Fark you upper hutt vtnz for not doing it.

• Like 1

Ok, so have finally been able to get to the JP to sign the declaration. She was happy with what I had on it, so that should be the paperwork side done. Now to actually get the car to VTNZ.

I will be taking with me,

The signed Statutory Declaration
Printed email from NZTA regarding reusing my black plates
The generic Sale & Purchase agreement the seller signed when i purchased the car
A Printout of the Trademe listing
A Printout of Carjam showing it as NOT stolen (and also showing Rego and chassis numbers)

Hopefully that should suffice.

I have attached a template made from the Stat Declaration that I used. I cant be certain this will be suitable for everyone, but should give an idea of what could be on it. The JP was happy, but yet to see if VTNZ will be happy with it. Use at own risk.

Also note that for some reason when opened in Chrome all the spaces in the text are missing. Seems to work fine when downloaded on my Mac. It is an editable PDF.

https://www.tasteslikepetrol.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Statutory-declaration-final-1.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

hay guys, so i have read through  some of this , and it does make me a little worried . . . 

so story is i bought a car about 15 months ago. was only going to be a track hack, but have found its in better condition that i originally thought. so i have decided to go down the track of looking to getting it re registered.  Now i have no idea who the guy was i got it off, i didn't get any form of paper work from him, i don't know if he was the last registered owner, and hes moved and i cant find him , i have tried every avenue i can think off with no luck . 

i have the chassis code and the original license plate details. on the police web page search under stolen vehicles it comes up as not stolen. and on car jam it has the details of the car, vague details but they are in there. so this is good as i can prove it was registered in nz (yay) . but i am no where closer to proving ownership?? 

i just called the police station and asked about getting a "of no interest statement"  , they told me that they don't do that and i have to "go look at car jam , or something " . ?!! 

i'm not sure what i have to do next. can someone please give me some advice on what my best plan of attack is , thanks 

Just make up a receipt from the previous owner. 

You've got the old plate number and the chassis still logged on car jam yea? 

You should be able to get the ball rolling with that then fill in the gaps when they ask for something. 

It won't be as hard as you think. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sheepers said:

Just make up a receipt from the previous owner. 

You've got the old plate number and the chassis still logged on car jam yea? 

You should be able to get the ball rolling with that then fill in the gaps when they ask for something. 

It won't be as hard as you think. 

i don't have any of his details , i just knew him through a mate of a mate type deal, and it was just a first name thing. i looked over the car, it was good, i gave him money , that was it done. i haven't been successful in finding out anything else or where he has moved to .

yes its still on car jam, but that doesn't give me any of the last owners details . i haven't paid for the report, if i buy that will that give me the last registered owners details ?? ?