nothingsfree's 1983 Toyota Corolla beams dx...

nothingsfree

Having just had another ankle operation, Im sitting at home with my leg up and not much else to do. So thought Id start up a thread for my next project, and try to keep it updated as I hopefully make some progress over the next few months Iv got off work. Well thats the intention. Anyway, to the project...

Bought a 83 ke70 sedan, and a Series 5 13bt to liven things up.

Basically the plan is to build a relatively light, and decent handling rotary.

Sedan was in alright condition, tho not running, it was pretty rust free and straight given its age, and had a recond 4k with twin carbs and extractors sitting in it.

Stock standard 13b turbo Series 5, and gbox, from an importer in Auckland.. Supposedly 100psi across both rotors, so we will see... watch this space, haha. Ah well has a start up warranty etc.

Plans are to keep the standard s5 turbo, but run a front mount i/c tucked away, and Microtec, four coils etc...

dsc02089ka4.th.jpg

After Jenny Craigs, actually looks like a rotary now!

dsc02125xm5.th.jpg

Engine stripped of all the shit it doesnt need. Going to be running Microtec, so no need for all the vacuum tubes, loom, emissions junk, and no need for powersteering, or A/C either.

dsc02130jh8.th.jpg

Picked these up for a good price off one of the boys, with new tires already on em. Good ol Longchamps 14x6.5. Yes could be wider, but couldnt really pass up the deal. Maybe further down the line wen iv got some more cash lying round Il look at what my options are. Then again prolly not, pretty stoked with these.

dsc02131hr5.th.jpg

Few of the goodies Iv been collecting to put to use...

dsc02124ih6.th.jpg

Like I said, want the old bitch to handle alright, so a new set of Ksports should help with that, and help get rid of the 4wd/tractor look its got goin on at the moment as well. Teamed up with new bushes all round should make things a little tighter and more responsive.

dsc02122dz2.th.jpg

Nice buy off trademe, like pretty much everything else for this project haha. In real good nic, no tears, holes, or even worn patches. Real snug fit, might have to keep an eye on the pie intake with these.

dsc02121gx5.th.jpg

Running a rotor, an oil cooler was pretty much a given. Now just need to decide where the hell to fit the bastard.

dsc02120vg6.th.jpg

Is definitely overkill, but hey I wanted brakes that are gonna work! One of my boys who is doin alot of the fabrication work is going to be running the same set up, so this way we could just make up another set of mounting brackets etc at the same time. They are Skyline 4pot calipers, and am goin to use new Altezza rotors, which are the same size as the GTR ones at 296mm, effectively giving me GTR brakes on a Dx haha. So on 14inch Longchamps, this leaves me with about 2mm of clearance from the caliper to the rim. Infact one of the wheel balancing weights on the inside of the rim couldnt even get past the caliper!

dsc02119ao6.th.jpg

Pulled engine out before my op so I could strip the engine bay ready for fitting the 13b. Haha polishing a 4k? Gonna drop it into an original twin headlight Dx that I bought a few weeks ago as my new run around that had a blown 4k. Keeping it standard, apart from lowering and maybe Modgies off my Dx wagon. So if anyone is keen on some twin carbies, and extractors, just get in touch...

dsc02107rp7.th.jpg

dsc02109di2.th.jpg

New donor engine for...

dsc02111fu5.th.jpg

This!

dsc02164yi7.th.jpg

Last thing i did before the op, finished stripping out the engine bay, then did the same thing to the interior. So good throwing away all the stuff related to the heater system, so much rubbish! Mate is making up a 12v electric heater so you still have a window demister, but itl be much smaller/lighter and no waiting for the engine to warm up, so instant demisting! If anyone is interested in gettin one, get in touch...

dsc02137kp0.th.jpg

Alot of the loom wont be needed, tho heres hoping I can remember what goes where.

dsc02142up7.th.jpg

Had a nice surprise yesterday when I rolled round to the workshop to catch up with the boys. My mate who was going to be setting up my hilux dif to fit my dx, is going to have to shorten his dif further to fit his wheels. So rather than modify his dif further, hes goin to use my one, and drop his one into mine. So yeah, my dif is all ready! Will get some pics when Im round there later this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Havnt been able to do much on the car as I cant stand on my leg yet, so Iv been hopping round doin small things. You know you have too much time on your hands when you start scraping off sound deadening. Just done the firewall, front half of gbox tunnel, and front foot wells, and already have a couple of plastic bags of sound deadening and a fair bit of weight. Gonna hold on to it all and weight it at the end, out of curiosity to see how much the whole lot weighs...

dsc02174yv7.th.jpg

dsc02177qp1.th.jpg

Also removed the battery tray from the engine bay.

dsc02176nz5.th.jpg

Found something while stripping the car back, which turned my relatively rust free car, into a not so rust free car. Some pretty nasty rust under the wiper tray, so is in a real pain in the ass spot to reach, grrrr! Its in both corners as well, so Im prolly gonna despot weld the wiper tray so I can pull it off and get to it properly. Shitty and time consuming, but its not gonna get any better. And will leak into the car and cause more rust.

Passenger side.

dsc02179dr0.th.jpg

Drivers side.

dsc02180bv5.th.jpg

On a brighter note, heres my dif!

At this stage its just an open center, am keeping my eyes open for a lsd at a decent price tho. If anyone has one they wana sell, let me know!

It was a 2wd one, not sure on the year, but was the same width as the dx one, well slightly wider, but small enough to fit without shortening it. Also its 5 stud, so easier to convert to 4x114. Will be running Bluebird brakes on the back, because its an fairly easy conversion, and a hell of alot lighter than the old drums! Might be able to notice in the photo that the mounting point for the coilovers has been modified abit, dropping it lower. :twisted:

dsc02186wy8.th.jpg

Got a txt from Mutiny a few weeks back saying he had pimped my ride. I turned up at the workshop to find this...

dsc02182zx3.th.jpg

Resulting in this...

dsc02183ze7.th.jpg

dsc02185ck9.th.jpg

Much better! haha. Wen its all done it should sit at this height, maybe abit lower. Looks much better on the Longchamps, but they are currently sitting in the back of Mutiny's car in police inpound hahahahah.