fuel's 1973 Vauxhall Viva

V8Pete

agreed

keep it period

if your gunna do anything work the motor you already have the slant while better ... will still be a stock motor ,, least you would have something lumpy and raw .. smooth sucks besides everyone has a new motor in a old car these days even me what a fucken homo eh

keep that shit individual and dont follow the pack thats what keeps this shit cool rather than the feature of preformance car

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

Hey mate, am doing virtually the same setup as you with my viva, was wondering what you did in the rear to lower it and did you compress the factory frothy Springs? Also what was the grille and dash cluster like to fit as I have them ready to go in too thanks

I used Opel Corsa B/90s Holden Barina rear springs which were then compressed 2-3". I had to trim the ends just a little bit to allow them to sit in the spring keepers. Though if I did it again I would look at using stiffer springs as the Barina springs ended up being a little soft. Maybe E30 BMW would suit as they have a similar shape to the coil.

Grille/headlamps wasn't too hard - I had to drill out all the pop rivets/spot welds and then I riveted/screwed the new headlamp bucket mount plates in place and then I think the grille attached to that. The dash cluster was a pain as I recall the speedo cable was just too short so it made it sit funny. Probably best to fit the speedo cable from the Magnum as well.

• 4 years later...

Hey @fuel, awesome viva man what a transformation. I myself have just acquired a 1976 vauxhall viva and I’m looking to lower it, I would like to lower it as much as possible as standard or without doing any major mods and the lowered height of yours in the pics looks spot on. I have been looking at the gaz adjustable coils/dampers and they look great but have a great price tag aswell.. I notice you mention you used compressed barina springs? I know it’s going back 10+ years but I was just wondering if you can remember exactly what springs you used and how you went about it? Any help/guidance would be highly appreciated. Cheers mate

I used rear springs from one of these and had them compressed a further 2-3 inches 

image.png.37dddf58b947882a2fa461852eda8418.png

but if I were to do it again I would use E30 BMW 3 series springs instead as the Barina springs were just a bit too soft. Front spring were just cut a little and the lower shock mounts were spaced down about half an inch to keep the springs captive.

• Like 1