Pog’s X1/9

Muzzie

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have just been out to Ruapuna again for the Fiat/Lancia club day - lots of interesting sheetmetal for you boys to drool over;

A Chapmans Prototipo;

IMG00115.jpg

IMG00116.jpg

IMG00117.jpg

IMG00118.jpg

IMG00119.jpg

A roughish BC driven by a lovely young lady;

IMG00120.jpg

Slightly more exotic;

IMG00121.jpg

IMG00122.jpg

Some of you might recognise this one, unfortunately Nick had done something bad to the engine before he could take me for a ride....

IMG00124.jpg

IMG00125.jpg

At least 3 125T's that i could see;

IMG00126.jpg

IMG00127.jpg

IMG00128.jpg

IMG00129.jpg

A 128 Coupe daily driver with interesting carburation arrangements;

IMG00130.jpg

IMG00131.jpg

IMG00132.jpg

Something little and Fiat;

IMG00134.jpg

IMG00135.jpg

A mint Montecarlo;

IMG00136.jpg

An even minter Dino;

IMG00137.jpg

IMG00138.jpg

E30 BMW with a Lexus V8 - this sounded very nice!

IMG00139.jpg

IMG00140.jpg

A very exotic Lambo - got a good fanging around the track too;

IMG00141.jpg

IMG00142.jpg

Delta Integrale - just had a 16 valve head put on and was pissing black smoke out down the straight.

Then it came in with oil pissing all over the engine and wreathed in smoke.

Brian said he would probably break it....!

IMG00143.jpg

IMG00144.jpg

He put the 16V head on the existing block, but left the 8 valve turbo as it is bigger.

Said it was a nightmare.

He also said something about not being sure about the breather routing - so hopefully this was the problem, not anything too serious.

He did say it was still running ok apart from the fuelling issues...!

I just rebuilt that head! New bolts and genuine headgasket too. :? He would have been better off to fit the whole engine, thats if he used it at all.

16V head on 8V block will put the compression up a bit. 16V injectors are much bigger. I assume he'll be running 8V ecu and 16V injectors? Nightmere untuned alright, you could get a chip to fix all that though.

I am planning exactly the same engine virtually. Croma turbo block, 16V head T3/4. It would be nice to know if there was any piston to valve clearence issues. :?

• 1 month later...

That's such a cool little car. Been reading the whole thread there. I found an old fella at home on Friday past who has an X1/9 - he imported it from the States to Ireland - i reckon i could twist his arm for it. Although im after his Opel GT to be honest. The man also has some crazy old fibreglass bodied Saab Coupe thing with a V4 engine. I was telling him that you are changing the bumpers from the ridiculous picnic tables to cool little ones and he was well intrigued. As a matter of interest, what are you gonna fill in the resulting gap in the front valance with now the BIG bumper's gone?

As a matter of interest, what are you gonna fill in the resulting gap in the front valance with now the BIG bumper's gone?

Well it would look like this with the overriders;

Fiat_X1-9.jpg

So I guess much the same but less bulbous. I have a bit of tasty mesh that will probably do the job of filling the radiator hole as the original grill is pretty much poked, I did wonder if it would look odd before I did it but I am pretty happy with the results.

I was pretty stoked when I found out what they were.

They are skanky durty on the outside but look pretty good on the inside, probably need new gaskets and shaft bearings tho.

The chokes are 28's but have been bored out some, will have to check what they are at.

I have asked a Q in the tech section about the manifold that came with them, be good to get an idea of what they are jetted for....

I also have a Filipinetti X1/9 manifold for DCNF's at the mo, but I am not allowed to use it because it is not mine :( I am going to CAD it up and get a pattern made - sell them on ebay and make squillions.

It is not difficult, designing things like this is pretty much the sort of thing I do for a living.

I am getting a casting pattern quoted at the moment - This is the expensive bit, maybe $1000.

Depending on the pattern type/cost I will be able to make a minimum of 5 sets, and a maximum of thousands.

Either way, I will be producing some spare sets...... :o