Pog’s X1/9

Muzzie

Thing is I know a chap north of chch who has a big paddock full of fiats and lancias - and I know there will be a few sets of that style - much closer than akl. Guess i'd need the check the offset too...

Ive been for a look around there. He has a lot of rare stuff!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is I know a chap north of chch who has a big paddock full of fiats and lancias - and I know there will be a few sets of that style - much closer than akl. Guess i'd need the check the offset too...

Have you been inside the sheds? - Ian showed me his V8 Merc the last time I went out there - plus I couldn't believe some of the other cars he had...

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno why, but for some reason I rather like this project :lol::rolleyes:

So this is going to end up sorta similar to the Chapman's (??) Replica ones that race at the Skope Classic (or at least certainly used to)

You know the Red & yellow ones...

Cheers,Chris

Have you been inside the sheds? - Ian showed me his V8 Merc the last time I went out there - plus I couldn't believe some of the other cars he had...

Yes, ive been in the shed. I was told I had to go have a look, so we made a special trip from Christchurch.

not 4age, use this motor - bolts in, is based on the lampredi SOHC engine

http://www.netikka.net/ville.vieri/marea16v/eindex.htm

Hmmm, from the pictures it does not looks like that block retains the front engine mount point. Punto blocks are the same. Front mount is by the oil filter housing. I dont know if this is revevent to an X19, I dont know where they mount.

A Honda B16A + Y21 gearbox conversion ?

That would be pretty awesome for such a small mid-engine car :)

A guy in Australia has done it a few years ago to his X1/9. He even went a step ahead and swap in the whole civic front dash. (But that just look wrong :! )

When I got my X1/9 I was (and still am) madly in love with this idea. It has been proven that it can be done and the person who did the conversion said that no main structural changes are required at all to fit the engine and gearbox. Two things are stopping me with proceeding with this though.

1) I don't want to "ruin" an Italian car with a "modern" (but extremely reliable) engine

2) I am no mechanic so it will cost me a fortune to have a workshop to do the whole conversion

I am not sure exactly how much the parts will cost but you will probably be looking at the cost of getting a front cut of a honda civic (I assume it's around 1k?)

pj_youngs_180hp_b16a_X.jpg

honda_inner_fiat_outer.jpg

inlet_mani_thru_access_panel.jpg

b16a_in_x19.jpg

rh_honda_dash_2.jpg

rh_honda_dash.jpg

B16A would be a nice conversion. So much better motor than a 4AGE *ducks*

Not sure why youd put the Honda dash and even less so the steering wheel in though. Thats the same wheel I had in my CRX until I changed it, nasty thing.

B16A is 160hp in gen 1 and 170hp in gen 2 onwards

According to carfolio X1/9 1300s make 75 and 1500s 85...and the late US spec ones 68 :lol:

Well that is basically what I was thinking of when I started looking for an X, find a cheap stalled project and hack it together with something grunty and japanese, paint it mattyB, and thrash it till it died....

However after I found this one, it was way too tidy to be messing up so the plans changed a bit.

Tipo engine still only has 85HP which is quite embarrassing for a 1600cc engine really.

Still, we will see what it turns out like I guess.

Arse,

Lets face it, Fiats needs turbos, they go pretty good with turbos too, won more world rally titles than anyone else under Lancia. If you're going to do a swap may as well fit a decent Fiat/Lancia turbo engine.

This guy did and its pretty fast

d8a90029-729c-476d-be9a-99460091b418.jpgfiAT X1/9 TURBO TEASER

Here it is doing some drag racing. This vid is 20min long but if you like this X19 you will want to watch it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7S+FASTEST

• 2 weeks later...

Yes seen that one in a couple of vids now, unfortunately family and mortgage put a stop on most of the stupidity that I want to undertake - maybe in a couple of years when I have managed to master the full 85 horses I will be looking to break the hundy horses somehow.

:lol: