Shortening shocks

Maru-So

My other hobbie is mountain biking and though rebuilding my bike suspension ive learnt a bit about how suspension works. How they shorten mountain bike shocks is with a topout spacer. since i replaced the shocks in my car i have the old ones to play with. I wanted to see if the stroke of the shocks could be reduced in the same way.

I just looking to see people opinion and if its safe or not. This method would only be used for lowness and not really preformance.

Firstly cut the shock like so...

firstcut.jpg

I was scared it was going to blow up so i had all the safety gear on and periced the shock first to let any pressure off. There was no pressure to speak of really. no bang no big hiss nothing.

Take care to only cut the outer part of the shock

nobottom.jpg

then this inner piece just pulls out.

innershockJPG.jpg

This is full with oil so hold it right way up over a cup or bucket and cycle the shock through to get most of the oil out

oilJPG.jpg

Give the shaft a few sharp tugs and the shaft and the piston/shim stack comes out

shaftout.jpg

These are shims

shimsJPG.jpg

replacing these with thicker ones or different id holes will change rebound and compression characteristics of the shock. they can just be left alone tho.

this bit is the factory top out spacer

topoutspacer.jpg

this is what the assembly looks like when the shock is at full extension

factorytopout.jpg

this is the stroke of the shock with factory assembly

nospacer.jpg

add a spacer between the seal and the top out spacer. this can be any size and dictates how much the stroke of the shock is reduced

spacerrinstal.jpg

Excuse the red spacer its just temorary until i get some proper pvc spacer. increasing the distance between the red lines decreases the stroke of the shock.

spacerrinstalcopy.jpg

reassembled with the spacer inplace you can see the shock has been shortened.

shorterstroke.jpg

fill the inershock with 300mls of shock oil 10wt or so im not sure what the oem oil weight is so it might take some experimenting. but by changing the oil weights you can adjust the rebound speed of the shock.

slide the iner inside the outer and weld up along the red line and it should be golden.

whattoweld.jpg

advantages over just getting the threads machined. Cost, more overlap as the shaft is permantly half in the shock(stiffer). and the ability to change oil.

any comments on how safe it is or if it would even work would be apreciated.

i did this when i was at school and broke as (not long ago), asking the same thing at the time someone said the only thing to watch out for was to put exactly exactly the same amount of oil back in. so yeah i did and put thicker oil back in, spaced the inner stop out with garden hose and i thought they were just the bees knees/worked fine.

if you wanted to be a full pro you could get a very fine pitch turned in the 2 cut ends of the outer body, and a internally threaded sleeve to join it all back together.

I have a lathe and some taps could I do the same?

Or is it more complicated than that?

If your lathe has a large enough hole through the back of it (Dunno what this is technaically called) to fit the shock AND you have tungsten tools then you can. The shaft of the shock will be hard as hell so dont use a std tool.

Also I think youd prob be better of using the thread cutting feature of the lathe if its got one.

sweet those were the responses i was looking for. The way this parrticular shock goes even if the welds didnt hold its still inside the strut so cant really catostrofically fail. To me this method is easier than getting them machined and you get the added bonus of making them stiffer. Is there a way to shorrten rear gas shocks?

lathe doesnt really need to fit the shock thru the hole. when i did mine i had them setup around the other way. clamp current thread in chuck. machine the shaft down to correct size. the cut thread, cut excess thread off last.

hardest bit is cutting the thread if you havent done it before. need special thread cutting tip to do it as well.

sweet those were the responses i was looking for. The way this parrticular shock goes even if the welds didnt hold its still inside the strut so cant really catostrofically fail. To me this method is easier than getting them machined and you get the added bonus of making them stiffer. Is there a way to shorrten rear gas shocks?

i have had some done, by a suspension place

believe they were just cut then re gassed

The limiting factor with this method is if you fully slam your car, the shock still had the potential to bottom out internally. Where as with a shrtened shock that can't happen. I was hsown this trick originally by my warrant man. :D I remember riding in rx2's with cutties. They used to bottom out the shocks, and ride super rough. In time this fucks the shocks beyond repair. But it's fat that with sum pipe and and angle grinder you can slam your car and still have captive springs.

in theory it shouldnt bottom out the shock more than normal. But if you add thicker oil it would help that. Cutting springs they become stiffer but standard springs are still too soft for extreme lowness.

How? Isn't it making the part of the shaft inside the shock itself longer? Thus making it closer to the bottom?