is this normal - chevette head gasket

tortron

2000700845402716631_rs.jpg

2000751189067995695_rs.jpg

is that right?

i would assume that thos 2 centre ones should also be cut out, and that the others should be more than just a drill hole size.

possible cause of why car isnt going? i.e warpage

mechanic replaced it after vlave regrind a couple of years go

i reckon its like that because the flow in the block/head is up the shit from factory. the restrictors are there to get some flow to the back of the block.

the other holes are small to keep some pressure in the head, higher pressure means the water can withstand higher temp before boil.

as much as it looks hoki i wouldnt fuck with it. what i would do is clean your fucking coolant system real good, mud and rust arn't knowen for their heat dissipation properties :rolleyes:

i bet the inside of your radiator looks like the cup from "two girls, one cup"

sheepers.

DO NOT drill or cut holes into the gasket. You will fuck it if you do. the smaller (or missing) holes in the gasket are there for a reason.

What you are seeing is perfectly normal. Place the gasket against the head and it should all make better sense than looking at it against the block.

Listern to your good ol' unclejake.

With the ford 2L the water galleries were designed all the same size and the water flow around the head was shit and had hot spots. to fix this they changed the gaskets so that some had way way smaller holes and other were blocked completely. I'd bet money that it's the same deal.

Seen the same on 2 stroke bike barrels. Manufacturer would have just made them all equal on purpose as it keeps the casting simple and they wouldn't have known where hotspots would have been until testing. Then once they are made they would have done all the testing to determine hotspots, then gaskets would have been finalised.

Never puled apart a modern engine, this thing probably doesn't happen anymore due to CFD.