HELP! Valiant electrical problems..

Guest wax

I've had shitloads of Vals. (Still own two)

How loud is the click when you crank it? Valiants use a starter relay. It's a black box on the left side inner gaurd.

Is it manual or auto?

If its an auto, there will be two spade terminals coming out at the top, one big terminal with a nut, and another spade terminal below that. The manual cars have only one terminal at the top. The other terminal is the earth feed from the inhibitor switch, this is earthed to the body on manuals.

The relay will click when you turn the key. The big terminal with the nut takes a +ive battery feed from the fuseable link. When you turn the key the terminal up top lives up, which energises the relay and connects the power from the big terminal to the lower most terminal. I think that wire is brown. That wire is the crank feed to the starter motor. I think the vals with electronic ignition also have a blue wire which goes to another terminal on the starter.

If these are mixed up, it wont crank on the key.

cool, cheers man, tahts some good info

i havnt worked less than 12 hours this week so i still havnt even clapped eyes on the beast.

its a manual by the way, im a bit anti autos. :wink:

im just about to leave to go do some work on the val, thanks for all your info its very much apprciated, if/when i come back later i will have either fixed the problem with the help of your guys advice, and be a very happy man, or completely fucked it up, and have smashed things and commited hate crimes, either way il probably be drunk as hell.

cheers. :wink: