Maru-so's Toyota Cressida RX60

Maru-So

FEEDBACK THERE :)

http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12293

I picked this beast up on saterday.

r21 engine

t40 manual

no rust to speak of but the paint is terrible.

with 3 months wof and reg.

After picking it up zeeb and i preceded to rip into it removing the tow ball rear high stop light the mud flaps and i chizeled out the sound deadending out of the boot. Its fairly slow and handles like a small boat. It also has a small problem with the waterpump/timing chain/gasket in that area spitting oil onto the fan and the oil getting spayed around the engine bay. Will fix that.

PLans are:

to lower it(quickly)

Find some suitable rims

Maybe do somthing with the exhaust.

And repaint it white probably

Carandzeeb.jpg

carpc.jpg:D :D :D :D

So this is my first project and working on cars is realativly new to me, but i want to try do all the work myself so i decided to take a closer leak at the oil problem. We could visible see that the water pump shaft have a fair bit of play in it so i thought id pull the fan and belts off to get a closer look,

Firstly i set up,

workshopshit.jpg

Then i removed the fan cover then the fan and the fan clutch and the belt and the pully,

partsremoved.jpg

And so i was left with this

motoroldpump.jpg

its was quite obvious the water pump was fucked so i decided to replace it. Amazingly enough repco actually had one instock.

newpump.jpg

Because i have never done this before i went to the libary and photocopied the manual's how to install a water pump section.

maunalfromliberary.jpg

First i had to drain the radiator, this was quite messy

coolantbuckets.jpg

Then i undid the old pump. and scraped off the old gasket which was completly fucked. Then i degreased the block side of the pump. I gave it a good clean then a very light sand.

nopump.jpg

Fitted the new pump.

newpumpfitted.jpg

I then re installed everything and refilled the radiator with water following the correct way. Initial drive, there was still a tiny bit of spray but i hope that was just from the degreaser on the parts i re installed.

this is just a shot of all the crap we've ripped out so far. Ive also removed the toe bar and the sound deadening out of the boot. I painted the mesh in the grill and one of the side bits where it was white instead of black. Its now black!

carpartsremoved.jpg

Cheers Grant

OK now the projects starting to get ontop of me...

fatarse.jpg

broadside.jpg

I learnt a bit of panel beating today i manages to straighten out a few things but overall the bodies in good nick. Both passenger side doors are stuffed. But nothing a little bog wont fix. I plan to get some fine filler and some bondo and have this thing ready for paint by next week!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I got onto the suspension today...

Found some of theses

compressors.jpg

picked up some new sw20 short travel kybs

kyb.jpg

I had to use a 40mm spacer so theres potential to go lower just by cutting and rewelding the strut.

I cleaned up all the parts then just hit it with a light satin black to tidy it up a bit.

strutassembled.jpg

I ended up removing 2 coils from the front and 1.5 in the rear. Its sitting much nicer now but still needs/will be lower in the future.

fullcarlowered.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

more work on this today. After new shocks on the front the car was unbalanced and had too much bounce in the back for my liking so i decided to get some new shocks for the rear.

I ended up with these for $183 for two. not too bad.

newshock.jpg

I measured the origionals 595mm eye to where the bottom washer sits.

oldshock.jpg

Heres a shot of them installed.

installed.jpg

We also did some more tiding up of the overspray and masking. Zeb ripped my arial off, i managed to find a tidy solution tho. I didnt get the drop i was hoping for as these new shocks are much stiffer with far less sag. We removed another half a coil as the ae86 shocks arre about 30mm shorter. its all captive again and i hope it comes down abit as the shock wears in. Driving impressions, it handles mint now!

side.jpg

Tidy'd the grille up again

front.jpg

back.jpg

also replaced the front crank seal and no more oil leak from there.

Cheers Grant

• 4 weeks later...

little update. Got a window bannar. I couldnt decied wether i really wanted one but im happy with how it looks. Unfortunatly my installation skills are pretty lacking. 3m rule ftw. 34bannar.jpg

frontbanr.jpg

It says "Low way"

Some how my hang ring fell off so i have to sort a better one like zebs. Here's my zust tip. Hasnt really changed the exhust note much.

zust.jpg

My struts are being shortened at the moment. 40mm is being taken out witch will be pretty sweet. Also ive got the line on some falcon springs for the rear witch i will run un captive.

Cheerrs

little update. The engineer didnt like just cutting my struts and removing 40mm from the middle then re welding with a sleve. He wanted to remove the weld from the bottom hub bit then remove the strut tube and cut 40mm off then press it back in again. Well its not looking good. as the Id Od difference in like 1.5mm which is heaps even if you heated the hub up and then tried to press it it. So thats pretty anoying as he had to cut them up to find this out. Hes going to try get them back together but yea ill probably have to source some more. I guess thats the price you pay for lowness! :D

Good news tho i got some falcon springs Cheap too they are far fatter and stiffer. newsprrings.jpg

Should be good

Second stage of suspension/lowering complete.

Rear: Ae86 shocks, Cut down falcon springs hose clamped to the lower mounts.

Front: Cut standard springs, sw20 rear shocks, Cut and shortened struts done so well you cant even see it was done.

front-3.jpg

34side.jpg

sidea.jpg

rear34-1.jpg

Twolows.jpg

• 4 months later...

Update time. Since ive been studing in canterbury i havnt been able to work on the whale for a while. In febuary the car failed its warrent for rust in the passenger side doors, front and rear, and a crack in the boot and a leaky exhaust manifold and finally cuts springs :oops: . I got some doors from a white gx60 in a pick a part in gore as well as a full set of factory suspension. In the mid semester holidays i welded the exhust manifold and the boot and fitted the new doors. The car was left parked up on the factory suspension all ready to go for a warrent. Uni's finished for the first semester now its time to get back to work on the car. I took it for a warrent today. To my surprise it passed! (not the first time though :evil: ) Now its all legal i swapped the suspension over again. Now i can start sorting wheel spacers/new engine/repaint.

The old horn arrangement was draining the battery at odd times so i re mounted the horns behind the grill.

newhornsetup.jpg

bannars gone.

darknewarrent34.jpg

25mm bolt on spacers please!

reardarknew.jpg

Cheers Grant

My steering wheel turned up today. Its a wooded momo.

newwheel.jpg

I think it suits the car well. A little rough but still nice. Its smaller diameter than the factory wheel and a fair bit lighter too. Feels much better to drive with, although you do feel more vibrations.

Im think im going to have to drive it around on the factory suspension so that i can at least get 3rd party insureance. Not worth the risk of crashing in to a 20k plus car without insurance. Just till i can figure out a legit way to lower the rear/find some adjustable shocks.

Grant

• 1 month later...

Its uni holidays time once again time and im back home with some time to muck around with the car. I got some 25mm wheel spacers for the back. I tried them on today to see how much needs to be done to the guard. Any rolling/flaring advice would be appreciated!

The car is still jacked up in the pictures but you can see the guard definatly needs to be rolled out

CIMG1901cropd.jpg

CIMG1902crop.jpg

CIMG1904croped.jpg

My plan for today is to hammer the inside lip flat then use a bit of pipe in the gap and drive the car back and forward.

Cheers

Grant

• 14 years later...