Lee's 73 Falcon

RT

Yea Im with KK, I have had a similar experience, though not as violent (ie the cover stayed on) front and rear main were gone though. Its worth a go to chuck some covers on and flick it over, worst case you could do change out both of the seals in a weekend old chap

It's a common problem for allot of cars with mechanical pumps, usually its picked up when you notice your car is making oil instead of using it, but i guess yours had the right conditions to go to go boom!

Oh and VG I doubt you would know the seals were stuffed until there was oil pressure up

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yuhyuh. def worth running it up with just a set of covers. hopefully it wasn't doing it long enough to cause any component damage. :D

even running it at fast idle for 15minutes-half an hour will show up the oil seals if there's a problem there.

what was the oil pressure like at idle when hot in the drive before it popped it's clogs?

Cheers team, but yeah I pretty much need to dig in and have a good look at this shit. Main reason I was looking at another engine was just cos I was going to put this in the 5i and shit so almost should do shit now maybe. Oil pressure never really seemed to drop off heaps, plus shits not really that old on this engine, was rebuilt 20k miles ago.

Nearly almost just about done here in Rotorua so when I am back I can look at shit betterer/start replacing some wiring too

Was chatting to dad about your fire and he recalls a similar incident with a large digger and a brand new hydraulic ram.

Story starts in the wairawrappa where a new hydro ram is required for a large digger.

Brand new one is fitted to the tune of 20k and is installed.

Person in charge does not bleed it properly resulting in a huge air lock inside the ram and the loaded bucket coming down with such force that the ram diesels, peels open like a tin can, shoots the piston clean out the end of the bore and sprays everything in oil.

Good yarn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

It will be quite a sad day when the wag leaves, but then you remember the Telstar Wagon that you want to replace it with, and it kinda makes it worth it. 

Will be taking this to nats, then after that giving it a bit of a going over.  Was going to take the roof back to orange, but if anyone is actually keen on this, and wants the lace roof that's no trouble.

And Richie, might have to steal yourself and your camera at nats sometime for a quickie if you know what I mean.

My dad bought one of these old girls new in 1973.  200ci with 3-on-the-tree, "Cosmic" metallic blue with brown vinyl interior and slot mags (ROH iirc).  He made a full-length roofrack from 1"x1" steel tube.  Took the family from Auckland to Christchurch for the '74 Commonwealth Games.  Lots of fond memories, and a soft spot for the old wagons (and Hardtops) ever since.

Just found your build thread, good read bro.. shame your gonna sell it, I have an XC monty wag but its sitting in my garage awaiting repairs for compliance, missus drove it in melbs for her nanny car, was great to see her picking up the kids from daycare with all the other mums in their toorak tractors and Rosie in my lumpy as fuck tank haha, good times..