Waimaks GSR

johnnyfive

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, weather sucked. Gay range rover's compressor for airbags = fucked so was on the bumpstops for the 350k trip home :lol:

GSR looked mean also. Just needs some slammage :D

Were you sitting in it when we were warming it up to leave, there was someone in there? I did a victory dance when it started and lol'd to myself about if anyone was watching....

My first time at the snow, It was fun.

• 5 months later...

this thing is so mean. all I can think everytime I see it now is how much its like a plane. :lol:

I rekon if you went straight into a 90deg bend towards the outside of the car as the exhaust comes out of the block. then you could take it over the cross member and make it heaps of clearance. it will kill flow a bit but it will be slammed. hahah

• 1 year later...

Yea you better be doing work on this you scallywag.

Remove dampers, hold in hand and look through trademe/wrecker/bnt to get stiffer replacement.

If you are lucky you could probably find shorter ones too.

Same deal with springs, then fine tune with Dr. A. Grinder.

What is the best way of getting shocks and bushes for things that no-one has listings for?

For shocks I do similar to above, go into autolign who are the most helpful suspension place I have dealt with so far. We go through the listings finding something that has the same fittings as required and that is the length required also. Usually they are much lower and from a heavier vehicle, so usually valved stiffer. Ends up costing around $120 for a pair of shocks that are pretty much custom for the application, so quite cheap really.

For bushes, I have no idea though you could hunt around for bushes that are similar from another model of Subaru. If that fails I think you can get custom ones made up.

I think custom will be the go with bushes, its a different setup in most of the front end than anything else I've seen.

Gonna have to do some tinkering with the back end. Will attempt to move the torsion bars a few splines and then work out what the shocks need to be like. But yeah, we shall see how it goes. Kinda keen to have it in a semi nice state and get down to Taupo a few more times.

Rear drums will need some attention also as I suspect they are past maximum wear stz.

Do you have any decent pictures of the front suspension setup?

I just tried googling and I loled. You must have a torturous time trying to buy parts. Parts person = "no, it would be a Mitsubishi GSR, not a Subaru GSR" or something like that

I'll try find some pictures of the actual suspension, is a fairly standard McPherson strut looking thing, but the sway bar doubles as the radius rod's.

Non cartridge front struts, asin, the spring perches and lower mounts etc are all inclusive. I have a pair of spare struts which I think are ok out of my crashed brumby which are a little different lengthwise so I will have to compare and see what could be gained there.

Oh and the cv's are pretty poooooo's, unkeen to get them refirbed though, if that is even possible, the pair of rack ends I had done was painful enough.

Non cartridge front struts, asin, the spring perches and lower mounts etc are all inclusive. I have a pair of spare struts which I think are ok out of my crashed brumby which are a little different lengthwise so I will have to compare and see what could be gained there.

Can you just cut the strut open and put a cartridge insert in there as a replacement?

You got any subies on the road at the moment?

My brumby is so nearly back on the road. All rust is out, ready for paint but it's pretty much raining every day in Wgtn and I don't have a garage.

Got a road trip planned first week august to see pixies concert in chcch and also pick up a rollbar i bought on tardme so it's gotta be going by then.

You don't need any 1400 headgaskets do you? pm me if you do.

Nah not one. Brumby is mostly due to rust, and GSR just due to broke-ness. I kind of had a reckoning when it comes to attempting to have 3 cars and a bike registered at once.

Will be attempting to buy a welder of some form sometime too and get into brumby, might attempt something a bit more intense with it. GSR first though.

And yeah, no need for 1400 bits, don't have any, cheers.

Where was the rust on yours?

Where the metal overlaps across the tray near the back, a little bit of that strip near the front of the tray and down the back and bottom of the front wheel arches. Mostly surface rust apart from that.

I just sprayed the underside with chain bar oil and have urethane to do the tray. Scored a rollbar for it too.