Joe's Jag

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Motoring writer Harry Metcalfe just completed the build of a V12 Jaguar XJC with a manual conversion. His V12 originally ran the early injection system which was problematic and daft*, so the car's now converted to an aftermarket ECU and later Jag injection from the 6.0 V12s. He's also running a shorter diff. With a couple of intake and exhaust mods and dyno tuning, the rebuilt standard engine makes ~350hp.

*the original system apparently simultaneously fires the injectors on groups of 3 adjacent cylinders, which would be at different points in the combustion cycle. I guess it just fires the injector group multiple times, so each cylinder gets fuel during its intake stroke. No wonder the fuel economy was terrible. :shock:

• Like 7

Jag loving mate had an XJ12 for a while.  Carbed one. He discovered that the bolt pattern for the puny 1 1/2 in Solexes is the same as 6 cylinder SU's.

Bolted on 4 X 2in SU's. Never dyno'd it but the improvement was startling.  Fuel comsumption otoh was frightening. Up past Oxford cruising at highly illegal velocity, you could watch the fuel gauge dropping.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

What Joe didn’t add to his story was this thing also decided to pump all it’s fuel out in the engine bay, thankfully avoiding a fire. (But also causing us to have to walk back and find a jerry can of petrol)

It also (unsurprisingly, being British) dropped all it’s oil out on KYs garage floor and henceforth became known as the Exxon Valdez.

• Like 4

Ooo, someone's selling XJS V12 manual conversion parts in your neck of the woods, in case yours have seized up or something..

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/jaguar/listing/4105559969

I wonder how someone can be unable to drive stick any more but still able to get in and out of an XJS. :scratch:

• Like 4

I can investment cast them for you Joe if you'd like. 

Totally doable yourself, just be prepared to spend a load of time on it and have some failures along the way. I'm still screwing up the odd casting and I've been doing it for 7 years now. 

Feel free to hit me up if you want any advice. 

• Like 7