Joe's Jag

That flywheel looks like sex on toast Boe.

That it does.

Dont really have any idea what clutch im gonna use. Flywheel is drilled for 10.5" e-type pressureplate. Dont want to use e-type pressureplate though cos its expensive and nothing special. Will probably try find a 10.5" clutch though. Maby a holden one or something. Will look around. I can get any clutch plate center converted to 21 spling supra though. And can try find a thrust bearing to fit. Want to go relativly stock. I want loads of drivability. None of this on/off clutch stuff, as i live in hillstart capital of NZ :lol: Have you got any suggestions for clutches?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Using a w5X. Got a bellhousing for one of those. Trying to find a steel sandwhich plate w57/58 at the moment. I like the ratios of the w55 tho. Would make for some mean acceleration. You know of any w55/57/58s for sale? Been keeping an eye peeled on trademe. Dont really care about the overdrive. as the standard jag overdrive is 1:1 so any supra box is better of standard. As far as i have read, all the "all alloy" supra boxes are the same strength. And the ones with a steel sandwhich plate are slightly stronger (bigger bearings, wider teeth etc)

I wish i was running a r154 :cry: But the cost of the conversion tripples if i do that

Edit: Spence bet me to it :lol:

The jag weighs about 1700kg so it would probably need to be a rather meaty clutch. I can just adapt a clutch plate to fit the supra spline. So i dont need to go toyota

Just seen this gearbox swap article which contains a chart of some off-the-shelf gearbox swap kits you can buy.

It mentions for the Jag I6 and V12 there's a kit for fitting a "Toyota Supra 5-speed". :rolleyes:

Then there's contact details of the (Australian) companies contacted when compiling the list.

Anyway.

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_108912/article.html

Thanks Man. I had a long look around first. And there are a few off the shelf kits but they cost around 3500-5500 so its a bit out of my price range. And they use "cheaper" components too. Like steel flywheels etc. If i source parts from different companies its gonna work out cheaper in the long run. And better too. But that article on the link u gave me, gave some good steps into how im going to go about my conversion. Cheers

• 2 months later...

you may have said this, but i missed it, are you going to run itbs? the sound of that thing on itbs would be AMAZING :-) should sound pretty awesome anyway though. more cylinders = better! you should look up the 1gzfe toy v12 (5l) its pretty cool. hand tested with stethoscopes to ensure it is quiet enough.

At some stage i will run ITB's aye. That will rule all. Will cost SO much tho. The jag v12 is ultra quiet. Hopefully not when i've finished with it though :P

And in Update news. I have a supra w57 bolted to the motor, and sitting in the car. In the process of making up a crossmsmber to hold it. Then all i need is a clutch and a driveshaft. Mean, Will put up some pics in next few weeks. Won't have it ready by trackday :( but should have it done by newyears. Money being the limiting factor here

• 5 months later...

Just got out of gayest calculus test ever. :(

Um yea, massive money pit. Need to throw another couple of g at it before its done.

Runs like a sack of hammers at the mo. With its absent state of tune. needs a dyno session.

Was fun while it lasted though. haha

• Like 1

^ you will get it 95% tuned mint on the road, would love to be in wellys and give you a hand, once you start fucking with it you'll be away. Save your dyno cash for a wide-band, but its not needed to get it a semi good tune got knock sensor?

AFAIK my motor had lucas marelli ignition system.But it could have been one of the last lucas OPUS or something. Both not too flash. had crazy system with 2 coils. They had trouble keeping spark at high rpm with just 1 coil. So they added another on to help it charge up faster.

However, The link does the ignition now. It has an CDI ingnitor module. And a single coil. It uses standard jaguar dizzy rotor and cap. And the jaguar 12 tooth optic sensor. Which is located in the dizzy. It gives the most epic spark out of the coil when its cranking. Im talking a 5cm spark!! Wouldnt want to get shocked by that. But it had weak spark out of the dizzy. And sometimes doesnt even spark. Which is quite the opposite of what i though it would do. after seing lushness of the spark from the coil. So i assume something is wrong in there. Internal shorting or something. Probably needs new leads aswell. Thats the only thing i can think of thats letting it down. Cos it is sparking and the injectors are firing. Hmmm...

Also. Pea Em cameron about front

Um yea, I took dizzy cap off dads 12. And put it in mine. Started first pop. So yea. New dizzy cap and rotor sounds like the fix.

Even though dads was corroded and pitted to fuck and mine is almost brand new. Must have hairline crack in it or something. Hmmmm