Joe's Jag

Top hats are made for Jaguar owners - they provide Grace and Space.

Lol, space is at a bit of a premium in the xjs tho :lol: And they dont handle too bad either. Standard suspension = ultra luxurious. There is minimal body roll. Some stiffer springs and a few shims here and there and this block of british steel should be able to take corners :D , maby

The gear box will be by far the weakest part of the car after the conversion. So i will have to nanny it/nah :P

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're a keen, keen man. Props for undertaking the project though, would scare the hell outta me.

Umm.... 12 throttle bodies please :lol:

At the end of the day, theyre just an old car :lol: all be it overly complex old car. but thats what haynes manuals are for :lol:. The parts cost lots tho :( Which makes it a slow project.

12 throttle bodies would be kick ass. Im also keen to do a six 45IDA webber V12. But not on xjs. Not enough space in engine bay

Awesome car man. Now the confusion I was facing of you talking about Jag V12's and frontes makes a little more sence....

You already have the link, it just makes sence to stick heaps of throttles on it! They'll be everywhere. Imagine the sound though, it would be fantastic. First step it probably just to get it running I guess.

Anyway, looks like you've done a real good job on it and it looks quite original in that holden purple colour. Is it that good in person? I wish I had the skills and patience to take on big panel jobs like that. Good shit.

FUCKING awesome project man. This is so fucking cool. Should calm down and shit, but nah. Love the colour. Is prob my fave car colour ever. V12 manual makes me say "ZOMFG!"

12 ITBs would rool so hard too.

Very very very cool dude.

You = doing phat burnouts next nats ftmfw. V12 howling skids. HAT!

Love.

it.

Before you order that new flywheel go have a chat to The Toyshop.

The previous owner used to race a v12 XJS and had a spare flywheel and triple plate Tilton clutch that he tried to sell me a few years ago.

They will know where to find him.

looks like you've done a real good job on it and it looks quite original in that holden purple colour. Is it that good in person?

It does look pretty good in the flesh. (the color that is). The car Itself is quite ferral. It was the first time i ever did any boging so its a bit wavey here and there. And the shut lines are horriffic. I replaced the drivers door, so that was to be expected, but the passenger door its pretty bad. And the painters fucked up the bonnet so there are some weird lines in the metallic :( (or it was my block sanding, i dont think it was though) Will get it (the bonnet) repainted when i can afford. Have to get the quards repainted too as the paint is all chiped off when the guards were semi rolled.

The previous owner used to race a v12 XJS and had a spare flywheel and triple plate Tilton clutch that he tried to sell me a few years ago.

Will call in there tomorrow and ask around. Would probably want "jaguar" prices for it tho :(

Would be pretty cool doing 12 throttle bodies. Alot of work tho, as there a 12. Would be 1million times better than standard jaguar setup. Jaguar engineered the intakes to be ultra quiet/restrictive so grandad could woft along in silence.

Ive heard mixed reviews about the W5x gearboxes. Some people say they are really strong. Some people say the torque kills them quite quickly. My wallet says use a W5x tho :lol: Would idealy want a R154 or something, but that = expensive!

well dude with a 1jz has done 40,000kms in a 1500kg car with 240kws on an unknown condition box. some of the higher hp guys destroy them but jag = fine. Im doing a 6 throttle conversion just need to copy that * 2 haha but depends on your port spacing and angles so could be easy/hard. Start collecting those 20v throttles you'll need 4 sets as you cant use the end ones

Start collecting those 20v throttles you'll need 4 sets as you cant use the end ones

Everything associated with the v12 is extreeme! :lol: Sparkplugs take 3 1/2 hours to change etc (didn't have the proper jaguar tool to get the middle ones, so all fuel rails off FTL). Roffle at having to get 4 sets of throttle bodies instead of 1. Its expensive fun :lol: But yea. Once its running i'll definitely try 12 ITBs. It will just look cool 8) Will get this on road first. Then finish fronte. Then experiment...

some of the higher hp guys destroy them but jag = fine

Thats good news :D . I dont really want a weak box. How else am i meant to do PHAT skidz then boe? :lol:

i LOVE your jag, it is so cool. as soon as i had finished looking at your build thread i went straight to trade me to see if i could buy one!

about the toyota gearboxes, dont get confused between the W50 and the W55,W57,W58 boxes. they are completely different. the W50 may just handle the jag if your careful, but the W55etc is a completely different box and will take anything your jag will throw at it all day long.

it the W55 range of boxes there are various shifter positions (except the W56,W59 which is out of a light truck) so there will more than likely be one with the shifter in the right spot.

i have a W55 behing my 1JZ which dynoed at 180RWKW, no problems with it.

hope this helps.

sheepers.

^ think your confused there w57 was just the next box after the 55 with slightly different ratios (5th gear only) Ive seen them in celicas and cressidas with a range of shifter positions. there is a w56 and 9 that came behind diesels and vans

Thanks boes. I read somewhere that teh W57/58s have stronger input shaft bearings or something. But i much perfer the ratios of teh W55, except top. The W58 has the best over drive, like .73:1 or someting = 100k at 1800rpm!!!. I also need the front most shifter position. Which are hard to find.

So, to clarify, you guys reckon a w55 will be up to it? They're alot cheaper and alot more readily available :D

i LOVE your jag, it is so cool. as soon as i had finished looking at your build thread i went straight to trade me to see if i could buy one!

Thanks boe, The price has crept up over the years. When i bought mine the were basically giving them away. Now theyre expensive as. If you do get one do NOT get a pre HE. '75-'81. They make less power and use WAY more fuel. They are cheaper tho.And they have shit looking bumpers (big rubber ones like MGBGT's had). And you cant retrofit the chrome HE ones. Unless they are off an american car. But they still stick out heaps cos of dumb frontal impact stuff :(

• 2 weeks later...

Its the factory one. So its most likely shit :lol: The Pre H.E. fuel rails were really bad. The ignition amplifier wires would crack in the heat of the "V" then it would arc across to the fuel rail. after thousands of miles of that it would eventually eat through and viola... 32psi fuel fed engine fire/flame thrower!!! Haha

Does the job though.

Why were people advising u against that type of fuel rail?

The ignition amplifier wires would crack in the heat of the "V" then it would arc across to the fuel rail. after thousands of miles of that it would eventually eat through and viola... 32psi fuel fed engine fire/flame thrower!!! Haha

Mean

Why were people advising u against that type of fuel rail?

http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10647

• 2 weeks later...

That flywheel looks like sex on toast Boe.

Are you going to sprong for an aftermarket clutch (Tilton/Quartermaster etc.) or a more 'factory' kind of thing?

There is a lot of tourqe/weight to shift so whatever you get it ain't going to be cheap I guess.