Sheepers' RA28 Celica

mikuni

ive been through them all man. there is nothing that is even remotely close to narrow enough.

criteria was,

modern with easily obtainable replacement /after-market bits

GOOD standard geometry with adjustable camber and castor

plenty strong enough to never have to worry about it again.

there will be no defeat, only vast quantities of time and money, as per usual.

sheepers.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where the rod steps down after the spline and you need to weld to add material is the same as Hilux axles I think. Is this how they also shorten Hilux axles properly?

Gaz

hilux axles you usually need to get ones far longer than what you need so you can respline them from the larger diameter part

or otherwise you just trim the ends of the spline (still uses original spline)

surely the driveshaft would be splined each end? thought about making all new shafts - if you can respline one end - why not get a bar of the right size stock and respline both ends - then machine down the centre to make it lighter if you desire..

not sure what would need to be done post splining but no doubt some sort of hardening treatment would be necessary..

went and had a very quick look around a 4WD wreckers today and i reckon there is a pretty good chance there will be a navara or similar front half shaft that will do the job.

the few i saw looked to be about 100mm shorter than my sample so we might still be in business.

the shaft is splined at both ends and i will make new ones if i have to, but id like to be able to do it all with "simple tools" then a few of my mates in Auz can do the same with out tooooooo much hassle (if you call cutting the rear half of your floor out and making a new one "not to much hassle")

anyway, i shall continue.

have been stuffing about with maintenance type stuff on the blue car but will be making a telescopic frame for the "cut and shut" operation on the cradle before the week is out.

will post pics of the mayhem.

sheepers.

When you say Navara do you mean D21? If this is the case I can take measurements/scope out my Terrano for you if you like?

EDIT: Further to that, a chap I used to deliver cars/4WD's to when I was driving tow-trucks, is a 4WD wrecker and he did me a good deal on some lower control/caster arms for my car, I could case his joint for them (the half-shafts you're after) and a price if you're interested.

at this stage i dont know what navara it is.

my friend in Auz (who has done a similar thing) told me he went to the local CV supplier and ratted through the shelfs till he found some shafts that would do the job. he said they were Navara as far as he could remember.

ill get a bit better idea of what it is im actually looking for (more leg work at various 4x4 wreckers i suspect) then try and scope out a good price for some/buy the ones i find.

i thank you for your kind offer and ill let you know if i cant find what im after.

sheepers.

• 1 month later...

the man has spoken

Jeeze I bet we would make an awesome bunch of old grumpy kernts at the RSA whinging about people on our lawns/warm beer and the youth of today - not to mention the age old debate of steelies vs modgies vs alloys.

too bad Sheepies is up north, I'm in the middle and K-Solo is just fucked (the deep south is still fucked I'm guessing??)