Sheepers' RA28 Celica

mikuni

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, shes commin along.

spent most of today doing fuck all, made a new part for the inlet pipe and not much else.

it now starts and idles sweet as and will happily idle and rev with no problem. it wont fucking stop though, turn the key off and it just keeps on going. this is the next thing on the list........

the camera shake you speak of is actually the motor starting up. the camera is sitting on the roof of my blue car, no one is touching it, so the shake is totally induced by the V8, fucking cool ay.

sheepers.

• 3 weeks later...

its a little way off driving yet...............

still got the whole rear suspension to do. there will be ALLOT of work in that....

anywho, I'm going to do some radiator related shit tonight. need to make some brackets or something but the frame on the radiator i have is steel so i can weld shit to it. this will make life much easier but the rad is a bit of a bastard of a shape. would love to make an alloy one but cant afford at this stage....

I'm trying to get it to the stage where it moves under its own power by crissy but its going to be tight.

just keep going and hope somehow it all works out right :lol:

sheepers?

• 2 weeks later...

Man you really have done it now!

are the shafts splined on both ends? i.e. what about making new shafts rather than filler welding the existing ones?

Also I'm pretty certain if you do weld them up "properly" you will probably have to do pre and post weld heat treatment

also you have access to spline making gear?? - I think I should come around with some beers sometime............

they are only splined at one end, the other end has the ball race carrier as part of the shaft.

i think anyway, once i take it fully apart and clean the grease off it ill know exactly how they are made but at this stage it looks like one end is the ball race carrier.

i think the only reason one end has a spline on it is so you can get the boots onto the shafts....

Im pretty sure they were splined at both ends as both ends have the same type of cv joint for mine i just cut and welded it with handy 3ph mig, It would be ideal to heat treat and ballance it but drives fine and has not broken yet and ive tryed hard to break it as I need new tyres now.

i have it on good authority (Jamie with the 4WD 1UZ turbo TA22 told me) that nissan navara shafts have the same ends but are shorter so im going to investigate this first.

it would be extremely excellent if i could get "off the shelf" bits to do the job.

i shall see.

sheepers.