Sheepers' RA28 Celica

mikuni

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, sheepers said:

no, it was 4.1 a per stock GTR but i changed it to 3.6.

How do you find that ratio for revs in 5th at 100kph?

I plan on putting a 1UZ and W57 into my Triumph 2500. <-- I have all these bits already. With my 195/60/14" tires I worked out I'd need something like 3.3 to 3.5:1 to have 2600-2750rpm at 100kph.

I'm exploring options for the rear end because the existing semi trailing arm setup is said to be craptastic.  To put an S13(same as R32, I think) rear end in I'd have to narrow it about the same as you have.

I'll drop the existing rear suspension some time and offer up an S13 subframe I have access to, to see if it's remotely feasible. I suspect the front upper arm mounts will require far too much hacking of the floor.

3.6 works well with the R154, i would guess you'd want to go a bit lower if your going to run small tyres and a W57.

keep in mind that the UZ is not a pushrod shithouse V8. they love to rev and sitting at 2800ish is no drama for them.

in my limited experience with the underside of britcrap trumphs id say you will be biting off a VERY large chunk of work to get a nissan subframe to work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepers said:

3.6 works well with the R154, i would guess you'd want to go a bit lower if your going to run small tyres and a W57.

keep in mind that the UZ is not a pushrod shithouse V8. they love to rev and sitting at 2800ish is no drama for them.

in my limited experience with the underside of britcrap trumphs id say you will be biting off a VERY large chunk of work to get a nissan subframe to work.

I was thinking more along the lines of not using a shit ton of fuel just cruising, rather than the engine's capacity to rev.

2 hours ago, Adoom said:

How do you find that ratio for revs in 5th at 100kph?

I plan on putting a 1UZ and W57 into my Triumph 2500. <-- I have all these bits already. With my 195/60/14" tires I worked out I'd need something like 3.3 to 3.5:1 to have 2600-2750rpm at 100kph.

I'm exploring options for the rear end because the existing semi trailing arm setup is said to be craptastic.  To put an S13(same as R32, I think) rear end in I'd have to narrow it about the same as you have.

I'll drop the existing rear suspension some time and offer up an S13 subframe I have access to, to see if it's remotely feasible. I suspect the front upper arm mounts will require far too much hacking of the floor.

I thought the Nissans also had a semi-trailing arm rear with a reputation for snap oversteer (just like early 3- and 5-series BMWs)?

A cheaper solution might be to improve the Triumph setup?  Plenty of upgrade parts available for the Stag and TR sports cars (including kits to fit Nissan diff and CV joints), iirc they used the same rear end as the 2500 saloons.

4 minutes ago, locost_bryan said:

I thought the Nissans also had a semi-trailing arm rear with a reputation for snap oversteer (just like early 3- and 5-series BMWs)?

A cheaper solution might be to improve the Triumph setup?  Plenty of upgrade parts available for the Stag and TR sports cars (including kits to fit Nissan diff and CV joints), iirc they used the same rear end as the 2500 saloons.

AFAIK early nissan stuff did, like S11, maybe S12, deffo 510.

Improving the Triumph setup is still an option. I'm trying to find options to do away with the funny suspension angles the semi trailing arms do when they move. Moving the arm up causes increased negative camber and increased toe out. Reversed for moving down.

5 minutes ago, locost_bryan said:

This rear track control kit is supposed to cure that problem.

http://www.monarch-stags.co.uk/productinfo.php?id=20

I've seen that before, apparently you cannot use urethane bushes with that kit as it relies on the give in the soft rubber bushes to work.

We might be getting a bit OT for sheepers discussion thread....

• 2 years later...