kpr's starlet

ratt

yeh same deal here, thats why i was running a 2" system to start with. but smaller exhaust for better torque, velocity scavaging etc, seems to be bs in my case at least.

just been comparing the tune we used on the dyno with 2" exhaust, to the current tune. ive added 45% more fuel at 5000rpm! tapers down to not much at high rpm and low rpm, but have added fuel everywhere. have done other mods as well, but exhaust changes are responsible for most gains. huge midrange gain from changing to the bigger exhaust.

pitty it scrapes like shit on everything as it is, otherwise i'd be tempted to try bigger.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ yea seems to be alot of myths that you need to keep the exhaust size down when going n/a, but most dynos plots ive seen have gains with massive exhausts. Go big and deffinately flag that megaphone, they have there place but without extensive dyno time/experience its hit and miss. Ill be going 2.5" - 3" on my beams hopefully out the front guard :D

[ basically the thing was more than a total waste of money as I spent a year an several thousand dollars trying to make the engine go properly due to my hgesitation in chopping off something that someone else charged be a bunch of cash to make.

cut out the megaphone today. now it has a section of 2.25" (300-400mm) welded to collector. then steps up to 2.5" for the rest of the exhaust. afr has stayed the same. but it accelerates faster. no loss of power down low. thinking i might try 2.5" all the way .

least im going in the right direction now anyway, slowly!

Choice! :D

• 7 months later...

i class the exhaust falling off as general maintenance, not a reliability issue. :D

im use to welding it back together every few weeks.

mismatched manifold doesn't seem to have effected it at all, goes better if anything to be honest. anti revision i say. its not so bad just a step down to the port at the bottom. the afr said no change untill 6k onwards, added about 3% more fuel from there onwards if you wanna get all techo .

i class the exhaust falling off as general maintenance, not a reliability issue. :D

im use to welding it back together every few weeks.

mismatched manifold doesn't seem to have effected it at all, goes better if anything to be honest. anti revision i say. its not so bad just a step down to the port at the bottom. the afr said no change untill 6k onwards, added about 3% more fuel from there onwards if you wanna get all techo .

if my shit decided to fall out itl be an 8mm step at the bottom and 2mm each side, thats also alot of jb weld (6 packs) for the valve to try and chew up :lol:

• 2 months later...

yeh nar.

dunno what power. guess 120-130kw how it is now on 4psi. will put it on dyno sometime. might take it to the outlaw drags next weekend. fix the boost leak and should do a high 12. /get a punch in the face from some v8 guy

• 6 months later...

its 2.5" from the extractors, all the way to just before the rear muffler. then jumps up to 3" and through muffler. has a straight through muffler in the middle somewhere also.

i tried to overkill the muffler as much as i could as thinking of trying a 3" system.

im not sure why it went leaner will the muffler on it. possibly the 2.5 -> 3" cone i used before it, who knows