kpr's starlet

ratt

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 7-degree taper gives a wide band with more torque-y power at the bottom but may sacrifice some maximum horsepower on top. These are great for street cars, road racing, shifter drag cars, or anything else where you want a broad, smooth power band.

A 13-degree taper gives a steeper, narrower, but higher band with most power coming on the top end. Excellent for high revving engines that want maximum horsepower and can sacrifice it from down on the bottom to get it up top. These are well suited to high HP drag cars, drifters, and dyno pulling.

A 9-degree taper tries to achieve a compromise between the two extremes.

http://www.coneeng.com/exhaust_system_kits.html

• 4 weeks later...

kinda yeh, have done it for a couple of reasons

stop over centering at high lock. isn't much of a problem at the moment. but i may run more steering lock, for when i do skid/drift days. other reason being to lighten up the steering a little. its running a quick rack with only 2 turns lock to lock. need to be like arnie to turn the thing. done same on my trueno, worked well.

this just sprung another idea. i might look into moving the lower arm mounts forward, while the x member is out. its running alot more caster than factory, so the lower arm bushes are getting a hard time. should get the whole lot back into spec then.

moved the arm mounts forward 15mm to match the rack tonight. hopefully it all works out, as i was too lazy/impatient to test fit.

yeh, was almost sold as a rolling body, and i sold head and big cams to nicT on here. glad i still have it also, so much fun to drive. kinda worked out for the best, as no engine etc.. gave me an excuse to redo everything i was wanting to change, before i decided to sell.

i was thinking this ^ to start with. but moving the lower arm at the x member end, only has a small effect on (less) caster. unless i've overlooked something, all its really doing is correcting the lower arm angle, after adding more caster. if everything else stays the same it will reduce caster a small amount, as the arm will pivot on the castor arm (swaybar in kp)

moving both the rack and lower arms forward. can add more caster, with less lower arm binding issues and less over centering issues at high lock. more caster will promote more over centering.

not so sure on the effect on steering weight now tbh. angle grinder first think later like usual

haha, agree compulsory tl;dr summary at end of each update

steering is quite a bit lighter, feels good. i need to put the other wheels/tyres back to confirm though, as the ones on there now are worn a bit different. has also gained a bit of front end grip which it needed. probably due to the extra track.

I think the 02's are alright, it just needs a full set as the only thing making it look weird is the different pair on the back. It almost looks like it needs some more width in the back too, wider diff, manipulated guards?

i have a full set of those 02's, but the back actually has no room at all. need another 20mm to make the rears happen. was gonna do guard mods using ep71 arches, but decided against chopping it up.

cutting down diff some more is almost at top of to do list. so front and rear take same wheel fitment. and i want to align the case better, much like the trueno. probably roll the 03's with a spacer up front for now

photo0335s.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

that vid in the wet doesn't show it well, as it was crazy slippery. main thing you do notice is the lack of car behind you. ae85 seems to sit out in a slide nicer, where as the kp wants to change direction more. either straighten up or spin. wheelbase isn't hugely different, but alot less car after the rear wheels, less pendulum effect. i dont find it that much harder to drift than the 85, just gotta be a bit quicker on the wheel. but maybe harder going from ae86 to kp, than the other way around like i did.

haha. so slippery, pushing the angle limit a bit much, was way too easy.

muffler is still in one piece!

front right strut is stuffed and have a cracked strut tower though! have been too lazy to find/ fix it yet.