kpr's kp60

kpr

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, i managed to get this drive-able with the 03's all round. rubs a little up front.  but good enough for the track.  Exhaust is almost due for rebuild again, since losing half of it in sparks. light weight version is on the list.

Street fins:

dsc02046s.jpg?w=900

dsc02045s.jpg?w=900

edit: thank you Seedy Al for the streets.  I also hate you for selling me a pair

• Like 8

Took this down to mackaz this morning. chucked it on the wheel alignment machine, to get some numbers.  didn't adjust anything other than front toe.  

toe on the rear confirms what is going on with the diff. left side has always sat further forward in the wheel arch.  chassis or diff link issue by the looks. as everything on the diff itself  measures up good. not sure how i'm going to go about fixing it yet. but should work out good once its sitting straight, looking at the total toe number.    camber is close to spot on. not bad for a square and tape measure!

front needs a few adjustments, but have some good caster numbers over stock.

dsc020532s.jpg

Everyone likes some destruction.   There is meant to be 2 parts in this picture not 4.  Not 100% sold  that the camber mod is responsible for the broken bits.  if the axles were engaged into the side gear another 5-10mm it wouldn't have broken.  unsure if the shaft has broken at the same time. almost looks like it has been broken for awhile, but hard to say. actually i dont know what to say when hilux diff breaks, behind 4age- cheap shit clutch and t50 box.  

1000px-super-saiyan-140071.jpg?w=800

dsc02093s.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Boring update.

Got new lsd. trd G code irs center.  done the small mod required to fit it in the live diff carrier.  same center as i run in the trueno, some pics here of the adjuster mod

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/24594-kprs-ae85/page-2#entry677656

the whole diff  center ends up offset to the drivers side, its not just the crown wheel flange that is offset.   kinda worked out ok, as the right axle ended up the correct length.  left was too short, but again managed to grind welds off and press axle apart to lengthen. better than having to lengthen both sides!

seems i also broke the gearbox on  the same lap.  doesn't downshift  into 3rd anymore.  sadface

found  this pic on brothers camera,  do a skid bro

dsc01659.jpg?w=900

• Like 5

Another boring update.   But you can feel my pain by reading this text.

The final list of broken stuff from hampton downs:

LSD - as above

Gearbox - replaced selector hub/sleeve. seems these are made of cheese as the brass synro ring itself was fine!

Clutch -  checked this when engine/box was out,  center of the friction plate was a few clutch kicks away from flying to bits, cracks and bits missing- cheers to my mate rangi i had a replacement within 20 mins!

Throttle linkage- yeh that was broken too.

Everything had taken a good beating over the years, just happened to let go at the same time, i hope. Seems you just can't stop the torque of a good 4age. no really...

Anyway its all working again, ready for some more beating. Another day at hampton on the 6th, unsure if i will go yet. was going to make some more changes first.

• Like 2

making new ali exhaust. isn't pretty and stink phone pics. but thats not the point

its 2"  tube with 45mm (was spose to be 50mm but had a mare) flat welded down the center.  which works out around 3" ish.

photo0044s.jpg

rather than making  mufflers/reso's then welding it in place. i made the whole system then are putting reso's where they will fit. drilling all these holes was extremely boring.

photo0043s.jpg

outside of muffler started. 

photo0049s.jpg

reused the slip joint  that was on the rear muffler.  to change from stainless to ali.  this is thick wall. 

photo0040s.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Changed  front section back to stainless as above, and its fixed!    Still a little loud and bit of a drone in car.  but raspy vibration is gone.   Once last last muffler finished (ran out of fiberglass). should hopefully cut out the rest of the noise, back to how it was before.

Looks pretty shit, got cut up so many times i gave up caring.   if you are looking under there i fell sorry for you.   Have also gained some ground clearance. along with some weight loss

photo0066s.jpg

i really need to kill those weeds.

The silly aluminum muffler ended my day early yesterday.  lasted till half way through the 2nd session, then collapsed halving my wrath of power.  open headers was insanely loud, so didn't bother going back out, to get kicked off in the first lap. 

brother did get a few vids before it broke.

• Like 2

first up, got some fancy  180sx raybrig headlights.

photo0095s.jpg?w=900

photo0090s.jpg?w=900

seems to be a slight problem with the muffler, (excuse the poo poo welds, i have my reasons)

photo0099s.jpg?w=700

lets chop it off see whats going on

photo0107s.jpg?w=700

seems to be a slight blockage, hmm cut some more

photo0110s.jpg?w=700

that doesn't look too good ^.   oh shit

photo0112s.jpg?w=700

the rest of it seems to have disappeared.  its either stuck in the rear muffler. or stuck in some poor bastards face at hampton downs

shortly after this i had to go to a&e and get a few stitches, this aluminum exhaust hates me. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Soon i will find the sweet spot to change  to ali.  This is the latest.  Sounds a little bit stink again, since first muffler is smaller. If i ever finish that mid muffler, should be ok.

Also jammed in a cusco gearbox mount in, to replace the sloppy 30 year old ae86 one.

photo0127s.jpg?w=800

pretty much taking the piss now.  

no actually i did cut it up again.  harmonic vibration is the bland of my life.    finished  the rest of the mid muffler.  still had the buzz in car.  the first reso wasn't taking enough out, so the ali section after was getting its buzz on.   turns out i could squeeze 3" round from here back.   so latest version:

photo0134s.jpg?w=800

yes, it has all the metal's  now.  stainless -> mild -> aluminum   

photo0132s.jpg?w=800

no more bizzz,   but  im sure this isnt over yet.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

dsc02131a.jpg

not bad for stock cams and going through a hilux diff.   ballpark blacktop 20v 4age power, which is what i was after.   rpm on graph is a little off,  revs a bit more.

ingredients:

diy ported small port head

weak factory small port cams

blacktop throttles

extractors

roughly 12.5 -13   compression

whangarei magic

• Like 4

overlayed on the old big cam setup,  red lines that go off the chart, are current as above.  (old engine would not work below 3500rpm at full throttle)  20kw more at 3500rpm.  15kw less at peak.  more interestingly  peak power is about in the same place, and seems to hang on just as long.   aim is to try hang onto most of that 20kw down low a and match the 105kw peak.

pic_0001dyno111aa.jpg

• Like 1

New stuff.  Cams  from Rob!        Wheels arrived from japan also. brought these about 2 weeks after selling the old ones.   they are a bit more aggressive.  14x6.5 +4  and 14x7 -2,  ideally i want to match the 7's up with another pair 7-8" wide. 

photo0172s.jpg

way less aggressive than what i was running on old setup,   but will hopefully fatten it up a bit.

photo0177a.jpg

• Like 7