kpr's kp60

kpr

Some more cam/tuning stuff if anyone is interested. 

But first, I had to fix some stuff before i could get back to tuning. everything is falling apart around this 4age as usual.  also swapped one of the master cylinders to a smaller bore.  now running 5/8 front and rear,  feels way better  than the 3/4, 5/8 combo.

since i dont have a dyno handy, this is how im dialing in the cams.  got afr ballpark after a few runs, so  advanced the inlet cam. using the adjust cam timing, then  turn the engine over very slowly  by hand and hope it doesn't stop method.  (i cant be assed with all the work to find out piston to valve clearances)  dialed in the max the cam gear would advance without skipping a tooth. about 22degrees advance.   no contact.   backed it off to10 degrees advance.  took it for a run, went lean to around 7000rpm then matched from there onward.  generally means power gain once afr corrected.

log,  pink line is 10degree advance.   pics are  big so will leave as links

http://garage4ag.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/kp-10-deg-advance.jpg

after correcting afr; confirmed power gain by doing another run on same bit of road, then overlaying the rpm graphs.  10dgrees advance plot overtakes the base setup. mean.   doesn't feel much better below 5k though.  has lost quite a bit over stock  cams, was hoping it wouldn't loose this much.  but still have igntion timing set low, so should pick up a bit.  will try another 5degrees advance on the inlet tomorrow, and maybe retard the exhaust cam.  also its starting to sound like a 4k with a 3/4 race cam/ fucked points again, at idle, choice 

fuel map from the stock cams

http://garage4ag.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/kp-stock-cams.jpg

compared to the 280's,  can see how hard it comes on just by looking at the fuel map.  fuel map roughly follows the torque curve. can see peak torque has shifted near 1000rpm up the revs.

http://garage4ag.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/kp-10-deg-advance-fuel.jpg

some longer trumpets on the itb's, would probably smoothen it out and give some back below 5k.

Edit:  yuck new page and no pictures.  heres one of me hardparking at hampton downs

25967_330325007101036_1831083715_n.jpg?w

• Like 6

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to update the cam situation.   I retarded the exhaust cam 10degrees.  along with the inlet still advanced 10 degree.  Got  roughly half the gain, on top of what the inlet gave.  More mid range and same deal as inlet, doesn't seem to have lost any up top.   Usually would lose power in the last useable 500-1000rpm,  advancing inlet or retarding the exhaust, but don't think its pulling enough rev's to get to this point.    Would likely rev to 9500 without falling over too much.  All sorts of bad stuff is spose to happen over 9000rpm on these engines, without robbing a bank.  so have it limited to this bottom ends, rape proven 8800rpm

locked the cam timing in, as needed to get a good tune on it for this weekend.  corrected afr and dialed the ignition timing back in.   pretty happy how it goes!  seem to have gained back quite a bit down low messing with the cam timing.  pulls ok from 4000-4500, is on song by 5000rpm  and chases down the limiter from there on.  its pretty useless below 4000rpm, but what 4age isn't.   as for actual power it was using 40% of 540cc injectors, now its using 50%, you do the math / half of that is probably coming out the exhaust!

Taking it to pukekohe on saturday, see if i can break it, again..

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Got back on the angle grinder today.    Making some aftermarket ae86 diff links fit, so  i can align the diff better.      The top ones were way too short. but that was ok, as i didn't want to run rose joints both ends.   Brought the  longest bolts i could get and cut some stuff up

photo0221s.jpg?w=800

leaving the left hand thread rosejoint in place, they will still work how they should.   factory arms are just butt welded,  but added some gussets, to make sure they are extra strong.  banana shape  on one side is to clear diff at full travel

photo0228s.jpg?w=800

3 more to go.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Bad  day yesterday.  Even worse for the starlet.  Went to a drift day at hampton downs.  Drove shit, collected a concrete wall, initiating dift on the coned out manji section. most anoying part  is its something ive a thousand times before. spent the next half hour or so beating it in the pits, to get it driveable again.  managed to get back out and stopped driving like a pussy.  started doing ok towards the end. was chasing another kp around for awhile which was pretty choice.    if someone can come rark me up before each drift day, that would be nice. need to be angery to drive this thing.

missed the best runs toward the end, due to sd card being full!  but got a few ok incars;

891638_199769980210943_224345678_o.jpg?w

1417813_199769880210953_481779558_o.jpg?

bung eye/ beater

823445_199773123543962_1787447779_o.jpg?

if anyone has any front end kp parts, let me know!  hopfully i can peice it together good enough, to make it to the os drag day.

its pretty beaten up but there isnt any chassis rail damage

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished doing the adjustable 4 link.  bottom links were a bit long, as they are ae86 links. but they were threaded far enough down the tube, to cut 15mm off each end.  same deal as top links, rose joint one end urethane the other.  Took it down to Mackaz and had a burn on the wheel alignment machine.  ended up with 1.4mm toe in per side and about 1.3 deg camber. 

dsc02444s.jpg?w=800

Front hadn't really changed after hitting the wall at Hampton. It's fairly obvious that its been in a accident, at  some stage in its life.(like most kp's)  Was hoping it may have bent the chassis back to where is spose to be!    managed to even up the castor to around 4.5 degrees a side.  but need to mod the lower arm mounting point on the left, to get the camber around 2 deg per side.

Last time out at Pukekohe,  still had drive shaft issues, after correcting the angles as best as possible. and spending $$$ on the single piece shaft, rebalance, new uni etc. Kinda like my legs attached to my body, so 2 piece time.   Brother had some  hilux stuff stashed away, so grabbed that and introduced it to my drop saw and angle grinder.

dsc02450s.jpg?w=800

^ Top is the one off the car.  middle hilux,   was going to use the ae86 yoke of the bottom one rather than cutting up the one i just spend a wad of cash on, but..

The corona wag (left) one is far superior and has clip in uni

dsc02452s.jpg?w=800

Hilux hanger bearing didn't quite fit in the kp tunnel.

dsc02453s.jpg?w=800

probably should have put some effort into finding a hanger that would fit,  but needed to do some cutting and welding anyway.

got to cut out the molestered bit at the bottom of the notch, weld in some tube for exhaust tunnel.  was previously clearanced with a sledge hammer!

dsc02461s.jpg?w=800

dsc02464s.jpg?w=800

• Like 8

Got the front half pretty much done.  

dsc02476s.jpg?w=800

Made these hanger bearing mounts, to push through from inside the car.  rather than trying to weld under the car.

dsc02481s.jpg?w=800

like so

dsc02488s.jpg?w=800

Still sucked to weld. 3mm to tinfoil with tig  isn't much fun.  probably would have mig'd it, if had it here

dsc02494s.jpg?w=800

Was planing on making the whole drive shaft before mounting the hanger.  but need to track down about 350mm of drive shaft tube, to finish the rear section

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Got  shaft dialed in pretty much spot on, after messing around with it for ages. but  front half of the rear shaft pulled a bit when i done the final weld.  wasnt too happy with it as was being a picky cunt, still well within acceptable runout though.  got it ballanced this week. guy said it was all good.  So must make me a recognised driveshaft manufacturer?!

dsc02520s.jpg?w=800

dsc02516s.jpg?w=800

Cut a hole in the floor for the exhaust.  only steel i had was some 3" exhaust tube. cut and opened it out to shape of said hole. worked out pretty good.

dsc02534s.jpg?w=800

looks a little like this from below.   Just need to finish welding it in.  then slam it all together.

dsc02543s.jpg?w=800

• Like 6

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Haven't done anything to this other than drive it, managed to get it legal again awhile back. 

Drove 2 1/2 hours each way to a drift day on Sunday. No drama's!  Exhaust wore out, but thats normal. 

I was a bit rusty to start with since haven't done any drifting for close to a year. but kept it off the walls this time!

dsc_0401sss.jpg?w=900

Managed to win the mini comp, (track was kinda bias towards my car!)   taking home a radiator, which was pretty choice end to the day. 

brother got a couple or short vids. will put them up later

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...