kpr's kp60

kpr

this thing goes again. still alot of bits and pieces to sort out and tidy up. but it runs and drives. not 100% happy with the brakes. thinking im going to try a smaller bore master cylinder on the rear circuit. brakes work ok as they are, but ive had to set the balance bar to bias front heaps. and need to get on the roids to use the brakes up to 100% as pedal is super hard.

camera broken so phone pics

photo0140.jpg

ive hid most of the wiring. redone all the water system (yeh not that ugly top pipe yet) relocated the heater control to under the dash. so will be poser showtime spec once finished

photo0143.jpg

easy to tune with factory cams and actually goes surprisingly well for what it is. couple of screen caps after about 3 full power runs.

log:

http://garage4ag.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/kp2.jpg

fuel map

http://garage4ag.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/kp1.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

exhaust is broken and leaky again.

started on new rear muffler today. took pics along the way, so will post as a how to:

cut some plates

photo0185.jpg?w=640&h=480

drill some holes

photo0188.jpg?w=640&h=480

drill some more holes

photo0189.jpg?w=640&h=480

drill some more holes/test fit

photo0192.jpg?w=640&h=480

drill even more holes. tack and weld center part

photo0195.jpg?w=640&h=480

ran out of welding wire and tube. so thats it for now.

have used triple pass design. as straight though wont quieten it down enough, since 4ages sound shit with any exhaust noise. (other than a straight pipe) triple pass are usually pretty restrictive. but if over kill the internal pipes they seem to work well. this one is running 3" inlet, then 2x 2.5" for the rest to keep flow up. im also adding another trick to try get rid of the twang.

more holes

photo0199s.jpg?w=640&h=480

weld sections on

photo0207s.jpg?w=640&h=480

photo0211s.jpg?w=640&h=480

i haven't done bugger all ali welding. so the welds look pretty shit. but good practice while building something purposeful. not too worried what this part looks like, as it wont be seen.

• 2 weeks later...

last muffler post, promise. well until i break it like all the others.

may as well keep the "how to" thing going.

roll. done this around a bit of 4" stainless. bit small but was all i could find.

photo0215s.jpg

rolled

photo0216s.jpg

chuck some chop strand in it. used 3m!

photo0227s.jpg

weld it up

photo0239s.jpg

starting to get the hang of ali welding. need a foot pedal.

photo0241s.jpg

beside the old one. i made the shell on this one out of some real thin stuff too keep weight down, but it fell apart. as you can see. i beat it with a hammer, pop riveted it, birdshit mig'd it etc.. to make it last a few more weeks. the ali one is 2-3kg lighter even though is got alot more material in it

photo0253s.jpg

here's the whole system. extractors-> 2.5" collector ->dumping into about 3 equivalent oval thing with V band & slip joint so can easily try different collector lengths -> straight thru reso/muffler -> back to 3" round -> another slip joint to ali mufffler -> twin 2.5" exit

photo0245s.jpg

too shiny for my liking. i try set the muffler foward far as possible and keep pipes longish after the muffler, as tends to make it alot quieter.

photo0257s.jpg

pulled motor and box again today. fixed gearbox as wouldn't down change into second. smashed another syncro like in the trueno. need to change gears more nicely. t50's rule though, so much better than W box. other than the obvious. fix sump. maybe back together tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

finally got this junk sorted. engine and box has been out 3 times. short story, it now has mongrel T50, consisting of 2x T50's and 1x t40. works perfect, but i still have no idea what was wrong with it. the only damage i found was a broken synro ring, and replacing that did not fix it. had epic drama with sump also.

lift some 4age's lift some dead people. both cars work, super rarity

photo0286.jpg

• Confused 1

ok moving the rack forward kinda got out of hand.

moved lower arms forward 15mm, same as rack. drilled out the spots, slid them forward and plug welded back on. pretty straight forward.

ball joints were hitting on the end of the sway bar, after doing some previous steering mods. so fixed this as well. skimmed protruding part off the backside of lower arm, shortened my urethane bushes and sliced the excess thread off sway bar. <- all this +moving the lower arm mounts, i ended up with heaps more clearance than i was expecting.

photo0308s.jpg

had thought about changing the lot to a caster arm setup like ae86. but really dont think its worth the effort, just to reduce a bit of deflection. pic of kp setup for reference:

photo0304s.jpg

***snowball effect****

then, i decided to test fit one of the equip 02's, since i had new found steering clearance. lower offset means i had a lot more room to play with on the inside. may as well use the room for more lock!? out come the rack again. seems i had tacked a stopper on the end of the rack housing, to limit the lock and stop the ball joints eating the sway bar. chopped the stopper off and skimmed another few mm off the end of the rack housing, to acquire the 12mm rack travel needed to get lock where i wanted it. too easy.

wheels had some slight mexi poke/hellaflush. so made some brackets to push the stock guards out 10mm or so. no rub, no stretch, wheels fit good.

took pic's but they are junk. will try again tomorrow. here's a shiny wheel i polished up today

photo0323s.jpg

tl;dr

move lower arm forward - angles corrected

more lock

+40mm front track!

shiny wheel

no rub, test run - works sweet

pics tomorrow maybe

not 100% sold on the 02's on this car. kinda growing on me though.

can see the extra caster/wheel base here. looks a little weird, but is about +50mm wheelbase over stock, or only 50mm less than an ae86. but the lack of anything overhanging each end, it still reminds you, kp starlet

photo0347s.jpg

photo0344s.jpg

photo0343s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

diff has been annoying me for ages. back on page one it shows how i modded the axles. have ground all the welds back, hopefully i can press them apart and shorten more. last time i shortened it, made it so the gold rims fitted nicely, but that was still slightly wider than the factory setup. case has a bit of toe out. been wanting to fix this for ages as well. will be setting it up with a little toe in, should hopefully make the ass end feel more planted. plus a little camber. has heaps of grip up front, after doing the mods a few posts up. so should get away with dialing a bit more into the rear.

dsc01927s.jpg

^wasn't planing on cutting everything off the case, needed to happen though

dsc01930s.jpg

likely run these 02's all round on the street,

• Like 2

axles came apart pretty easily, after grinding the welds back and throwing them in the press. wasn't sure if it was going to happen.

machined them down some more and pressed back into place. will reweld chuck some new bearings on after the rest is done.

dsc01945s.jpg

cut the case for camber mod.

dsc01951s.jpg

once i finally got the camber right. i welded the shit out of the front side, using the shrinkage from the weld, to pull the case and correct the toe out.

dsc01955s.jpg

haven't checked it again since welding the case fully. but should somewhere between 1 and 1.5 degree camber and a bit of toe in. if not fail and start again.

dsc01956s.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

so i've pretty much redone the whole diff conversion, probably should have gone to a lighter ae86 diff or something. but this is indestructible behind the 4a.

axles re-welded with new bearings, ready to go.

dsc01973s.jpg?w=800

finished welding everything to the case tonight. oh shit your diff is bent.

dsc01968s.jpg?w=800

top mounts have been dropped down around 20mm. 10 off the mount and 10 more with the bend. other than putting the top rear links on a better angle. has given it a decent amount more travel, before the diff eats the body. made some new bumpstop seats, so the diff stops mm's from the body when doing jumps etc.. before it was lucky if it had 15mm travel. has over double that now / will probably just lower it more. managed to trim a bit of fat along the way also

dsc01971s.jpg?w=800

drive shaft angles were pretty shit. have corrected them as much as possible. will add a spacer under the gearbox also. but can't get it where it needs to be. only options are. 1) cut and raise the tunnel. 2) raise ride height. option 2 can fuck off. and i cant be assed doing option one.

more interesting update next, promise

• Like 4

took the day off and got this going.

mackaz swapped tyres onto the 02's, cheers bro.

dsc01984s.jpg?w=800

dsc01987s.jpg?w=800

the finished diff case.

dsc01978s.jpg?w=800

dsc01975s.jpg?w=800

and axles

dsc01973s.jpg?w=800

after a quick test run, ass end feels more planted. happy so far

• Like 1

fins from seedy finally arrived here yesterday. even though picture does not suggest, in person these definitely look the best so far! tracking down a matching pair isnt going to be easy. will get better pic's after this post self destructs

dsc01996s.jpg?w=800

took it through hiway 16 on anzac day. handles so much better now

• Like 2