Romans COD piece

Think a large large bottle (the only size they do ) on my account when i looked was like 600$ but that would be lots of fills, there was a episode on finnagins garage on youtube on filling with a straight hose to a 10lb bottle using a bottle heater on the big bottle and icing the small bottles to get them full

• Like 2

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think a large large bottle (the only size they do ) on my account when i looked was like 600$ but that would be lots of fills, there was a episode on finnagins garage on youtube on filling with a straight hose to a 10lb bottle using a bottle heater on the big bottle and icing the small bottles to get them full

Yeah I saw that, seems easy enough!

Nitrous has an insane amount of cooling when it changes state from a liquid to gas.

Even just giving it a quick blip on the solenoid and the nozzle freezes up and all of the lines go super cold.

If I decide to spray from a single nozzle pre-throttle body, I'll likely hook up the heater lines to throttle body again to avoid having it ice open or issues with the e-throttle getting too cold(?)

Might just be better to go direct port and be done with it, but I think either option when you're running a dry setup has fewer dire consequences when you dont need to worry about the fuel falling out of the air.

It comes out of the nozzle at something like -80deg Fahrenheit. So cools your intake charge well below ambient temps... Which helps with detonation suppression thankfully as you've got much less margin for error getting ignition timing right.

• Like 1

If you have nozzles at each intake runner, at some point there's a junction where it splits the main high pressure line into 4. Or splits into 2, then 2 lots of 2.

At these junctions, if they're not setup with careful consideration it's possible that flow gets biased to one pipe or the other.

Which causes a lean condition on one cylinder, which is exactly what you're trying to avoid by moving away from a single pre-throttle setup.

Since nitrous becomes a gas almost instantaneously after coming out of the nozzle, (state change happens at something like 250psi) I dont believe there's much issue in spraying from a single nozzle pre throttle body, it will just go where the air goes.
However the same does not necessarily apply to fuel, if you're also spraying fuel pre-throttle body (which I am not)

Another benefit of spraying pre throttle body, is that as soon as you shut the throttle, no more nitrous.
If you plumb to each runner, because nitrous acts as a replacement for the air and there's still some in the lines back towards the solenoid after throttle snaps shut.
I would imagine that there's the possibility of it causing the throttle run on a bit while the last of the nitrous comes out of any lines. Which, in my opinion, is less than ideal and possibly more of a compromise than spraying from a single nozzle.

Ideally I'd have 4x EGT sensors on the exhaust already and a controller for them first, diyautotune has a cool CAN controller for multiple thermocouples that I've had my eye on for a while.

• Like 1

Ah right I get ya.

Kind of like a BBQ element where it's hotter at the side the gas comes in and colder at the other end because of pressure difference

just out of curiosity, could you use pulse width modulation to very the amount of shot?

So you have a 50hp shot jet then modulate it down to 20hp?

PWM controllers do exist but they are shit.

As the way you get down to 20hp is by having 50hp spray for only 40% of the time.

Since they can only run at 20hz or there abouts you get say 100 engine cycles running rich and 100 engine cycles running crazy lean.

This is why people blow up motors.

Having two seperate stages is a better way to approach the issue.

• Like 1

You have thought about this way too much Dave, nitrous is a very well known quantity and all of the products involved work well by all acounts. we have a couple of cars at work that spray 500-700 hp into carb fed motors with no problems.

i have a nitrous related sharn

a guy i know was tuning a wet system

'still rich, ill jet it down'

'still rich , ill jet it down'

'still rich, ill jet it down'

'oh look the bottle is off, ill turn that on'

'bang nunga nunga'

• Like 7

If you were getting NOS from us at BOC for $600 you were getting a sweet deal...

Just looked it up for you ( you will need a license to buy from us - ie a legit workshop etc )

$2051 + GST.

That's for a "G" size cylinder which is our large ones...

there is a chap over in East Tamaki that does fills ( he buy's our cylinders and then fills smaller ones for bikes etc ) that might be the best way about it, as obviously you'd be charged for rental on that G which is over $20 a month as well.

• Like 2

A G sized bottle would hold about 60 pounds nitrous...

So 10 bottle refills.

So $205 per refill if I did it myself, not including bottle rental etc. Oh wait plus GST. Yikes.

Eeep! Did I say 60 shot? I meant a 2hp shot so it lasts longer haha.

I guess can see why it's not such a popular option then.

Maybe I'll use 1-2 bottles for lols then sell the kit again if it'll end up costing a billion dollars per week.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...