Romans COD piece

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aahhh shitballs, my exhaust hanger rubbers broke while doing some Scenic driving today.

This might expedite my exhaust remake, but at the same time I'm not keen to reinvent the wheel just  before trackday next weekend.

So I'll just get some replacements, they last about 5,000kms before breaking haha.

It would have been the highish speeds on bumpy roads that did it, the rear muffler is reasonably heavy and was probably jumping around a bit to make it break.

I've come up with a good idea for an easy way to make exhaust hangers though, I'll use nylon blocks or something to replace the rubbers while I'm making it, so it's not wobbling around and I can try fab everything to the same distance between upper hanger and lower hanger thing that the rubber bush will go on. If there's consistently a 50mm gap or whatever then it will be less likely that there's just one that's taking more of the load than the others.

Glad it's handling better! That's a massive jump in lap time as the chicane/tyre at the end of the straight adds about 2 seconds, so in reality you'd be ~8sec faster than your last outing.

May there be many more happy trackdays in your future.

• Like 1

Cheers, yes everything just came together really well.

Gps shows that I shortened the track by 10 meters with better lines too.

Main area of improvement was the sweeper, straightening up the braking zone.

Had spome interesting tire wear on the fronts,the tread blocks that were 'square' are now sawtpooth shaped from wearing the inside edges of the blocks. Camber was good though as its no longer nuking the outside edges, even wear across the tire.

I saw this running at Taupo today, looked real good and was pretty quick I thought. Nice job.

I believe you're running the Toyo T1R's btw?  If so, it'll just be that you are running road tyres to there limits that is causing the wear patterns on the them.  They can't handle the heat like a semi-slick can.

• Like 1

No idea on pressures, havent checked since tires were fitted haha.

Tire load was a lot more balanced than mr2 though, once rears got hot in that you were screwed... in this you could notice it but grip balance stayed about the same.

Yeah semis are the way to go! Once the brakes are sorted anyway.

Yeah bendix ultimate are so rad if you're into pad material separating itself from the backing plate.

Would never Bendix ultimate again.

I had good results with Hawk HP+ hauling up the Torneo at Taupo and Manfeild lap after lap with no fade. Quite cost effective but super dusty.

• Like 1

Cheers guys! I'll look into those reccomendations.

Bravo, sir.

Would have loved to have seen it fanging around.  

Have you considered a 2ZZ?

I have considered a 2ZZ, but then I realised that driving with an erection is dangerous.

Come to Nats this time around, and witness some hoonage/blowups/whatever at Hampton!

Does anyone have a compression tester / leakdown tester / whatever that I could borrow?

There's a bit of a tapping noise that the engine has had for ages, I'm thinking it might be a valve or something but want to do some troubleshooting without yanking the head. Will check the valve clearances first of all, as I only ever checked them initially/when cold.

Cool, cheers!

Ideally I'd like to get something that could widthstand hoonage on semislicks as well, so a different set for road or track probably makes sense seeing how it's easy enough to swap pads on the 4 pots.

I might make a big pliers type tool to push the pistons in though, that's the only part which is time consuming or cumbersome compared to the rest.

Another thing that's a pain at the moment though is that I've got a hardline running to the calipers, so they cant come off without a brake rebleed.

So might get braided lines and make the whole thing flexible instead of half hard line and half rubber.

Will make any issues with the hubs/rotors/whatever easier to work on.

What kind of brakes do you have on the 86?